E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bimmerlabs 330i Tune DIY Step by Step

09-12-2022, 11:31 PM   #771
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

no because can still initiate communication with the DME which doesn't take much. but when you're flashing, you're sending a lot of data and it has to be accurate, so any errors and the flash will fail. it's not exactly pass/fail. I've had brand new cables too that worked fine for everything, except flashing..

the security failure is most likely because the flash process wrote corrupted data and it failed the signature check. that's what "security access denied" means.

maybe it's not the cable, I don't know - but I do know I haven't changed anything in the flash files in quite some time, so if you're suddenly having problems, it's gotta be something on your end like the cable, laptop, or software.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #772
bsmoov
Captain
Rep
Drives: e91 6 speed touring

Ok. I think the only thing at this point is the cable.

It’s not my laptop as my laptop is pretty new and it’s a dedicated laptop for the bmw tools.

I don’t think it’s the software because everything else works except for flashing (gives the fatal errors) and I’ve never adjusted my settings or updated anything.

Hopefully my bimmergeeks cable gets here soon so I can get to the bottom of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:29 AM   #773
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
no because can still initiate communication with the DME which doesn't take much. but when you're flashing, you're sending a lot of data and it has to be accurate, so any errors and the flash will fail. it's not exactly pass/fail. I've had brand new cables too that worked fine for everything, except flashing..

the security failure is most likely because the flash process wrote corrupted data and it failed the signature check. that's what "security access denied" means.

maybe it's not the cable, I don't know - but I do know I haven't changed anything in the flash files in quite some time, so if you're suddenly having problems, it's gotta be something on your end like the cable, laptop, or software.
Hey hassmaschine I wanted to follow up on my post since you provided a reply there. If you can please share your thoughts on my reply from August 17th, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:03 PM   #774
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

I help where I can, but I'm not tech support. I barely have time to keep my own cars running, haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:40 PM   #775
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
I help where I can, but I'm not tech support. I barely have time to keep my own cars running, haha.
I hear you and I'm not looking for a diagnosis necessarily. Just looking for a bit of guidance on my understanding and if there's a plan for a fix. I'd bug someone else, but you're the only man that I at least know that can seem to help with this. Here's a link to my post with the reply from August 17th - link
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #776
rsc1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

is bimmerlabs still doing custom tunes? would love one for my n51
Appreciate 1
Blau366.50
      09-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #777
machine4321
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

I Think I need some help.

I attempted to flash RSA delete, couple lights and dongs happened, program came back right away stating fatal error, now car wont start and I cant communicate with it using Protools.

I believed I had eveything installed correctly, could see the ign and cable on IMPA

Im a bit concerned now as the install process of coding was a disaster for me.

any pointers, I need the car to run lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #778
machine4321
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Crisis averted!
Had latency not set to 1

all good now but think I fried my starter while it was trying to start. Thank good my drive way was on enough of an incline to do a reverse bump start!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #779
lowd239
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328 XIT

Just to make sure I understand right and things haven't been updated...cruise control will not work on 09 328i (msv80) with the bimmerlab tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #780
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowd239 View Post
Just to make sure I understand right and things haven't been updated...cruise control will not work on 09 328i (msv80) with the bimmerlab tune?
no that is not correct.

there was an issue with one guy's 128i but we never figured out if it was a issue with the configuration with his car or something else.

there's no difference in the tune for cruise control, it's based on the stock 328i tune with modifications to fuel, ignition, vanos, VVT, DISA, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #781
lowd239
Private
Rep

Quote:
no that is not correct.

there was an issue with one guy's 128i but we never figured out if it was a issue with the configuration with his car or something else.

there's no difference in the tune for cruise control, it's based on the stock 328i tune with modifications to fuel, ignition, vanos, VVT, DISA, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused from this posting -
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=29396909
"Best tunes are the free tunes, so Bimmerlabs is going to be a good choice. MAF or no MAF, little better response with NO MAF tune but no cruise control. Same power output as a 330i."
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #782
unk045
Private
Rep

Quote:
no that is not correct.

I think the one guy you're referring to is me. Here's my post for reference (link). I tagged you in my post as well hoping you can clarify this.

Ever since I did the tune update cruise control on my car hasn't worked. Cruise control on my car worked fine before. You can see desertman123 mention that in his post from 11-19-2019 as well (link). I was under the impression that the tune is in the process of being updated to fix this issue. Any thoughts hassmaschine?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 04:18 PM   #783
toy4two
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I've been running the 330i tune on my 328i for a few months, this, coupled with the transmission firmware update really transform the car. Even with no intention of doing the 3 stage intake, I think everyone should do this. Sport mode is actually useable now, the trans no longer drops revs but coasts.

I'm excited about the NoMAF version as I can't stand the cold start warm up and never once used cruise control since I owned the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:33 PM   #784
rsc1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post
I've been running the 330i tune on my 328i for a few months, this, coupled with the transmission firmware update really transform the car. Even with no intention of doing the 3 stage intake, I think everyone should do this. Sport mode is actually useable now, the trans no longer drops revs but coasts.

I'm excited about the NoMAF version as I can't stand the cold start warm up and never once used cruise control since I owned the car.
Jealous...anyone want to trade their N52 for my N51 plus a beer??
Appreciate 2
4 Doors1169.00
Blau366.50
      10-27-2022, 06:35 PM   #785
lowd239
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4two View Post

Where did you get the transmission firmware?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #786
88TAW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Hi All,

I tried for two years to get a feedback, still no luck (tune request on site and forum).

hassmaschine can you still do custom tune? It's no hurry, but I just need to know if I will continue to invest in my car, or not (I know what no time having for your own cars means).
Without any tune option, this not makes sense, I'm from Europe so no solutions here. I have Dyno time, Bimmergeek cables...

At the moment I have Headers, custom intake and want to change from MAF to IAT. On the site, I can't find any option for the above, my car is Euro 130i 265hp, manual. Car has 2 bank o2 error present, and it smells really bad.

For now I really need an option for a tune with headers and IAT, if possible

Please checkout the Torque graph from 4200-6000 rpm... looks promising with no tune, comparing with other graphs, at least from my side.

Thanks a lot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 05:07 AM   #787
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

I just want to chime in that somehow the mysterious cold start rev up has disappeared.

I've had the tune for a couple years now and I cannot recall when it stopped the rev up since I got used to it, but noticed that the car wasn't doing it anymore the other day. I'm not sure whether it goes away after a certain number of running hours as the ECM fully adapts. Perhaps the car has finally accepted its new 330i personality. 😀

Thanks again hassmaschine !
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:09 AM   #788
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TAW View Post
Hi All,

I tried for two years to get a feedback, still no luck (tune request on site and forum).

hassmaschine can you still do custom tune? It's no hurry, but I just need to know if I will continue to invest in my car, or not (I know what no time having for your own cars means).
Without any tune option, this not makes sense, I'm from Europe so no solutions here. I have Dyno time, Bimmergeek cables...

At the moment I have Headers, custom intake and want to change from MAF to IAT. On the site, I can't find any option for the above, my car is Euro 130i 265hp, manual. Car has 2 bank o2 error present, and it smells really bad.

For now I really need an option for a tune with headers and IAT, if possible

Please checkout the Torque graph from 4200-6000 rpm... looks promising with no tune, comparing with other graphs, at least from my side.

Thanks a lot!
yeah I feel bad. I want to help, but I just haven't had any time for it, and there are so many people that are asking. basically I keep the lights on so people can use the tools I have made so far (there are definitely a handful of regular users, and they let me know when I forget to renew the SSL cert, lol), but I haven't extended support further for quite some time. I can do custom tunes, but I already have a backlog that I'll be lucky to get through this year, so taking on new stuff is out of the question. The monetary reward is almost never worth it, which doesn't help.

It seems like what you're looking for should be doable though. And it is possible to make custom tunes already through the existing site and without my involvement - you just need a hex editor, and to know what you're changing. At the very least, you could disable those bank 2 errors, I'd just have to look up the addresses that need to be edited (or somebody else could chime in).

If the community wanted to work on figuring this out themselves, they could do it - and use the already existing Bimmerlabs file conversions to make flashable tunes. I was daydreaming a bit today about finishing some of my original ideas (editing tunes in the browser, cross referencing algorithms and maps from totally different DMEs). Realistically it will take me a long time to get to that, although I'd really like to finish what I started!

Last edited by hassmaschine; 11-14-2022 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 01:15 AM   #789
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk045 View Post
I think the one guy you're referring to is me. Here's my post for reference (link). I tagged you in my post as well hoping you can clarify this.

Ever since I did the tune update cruise control on my car hasn't worked. Cruise control on my car worked fine before. You can see desertman123 mention that in his post from 11-19-2019 as well (link). I was under the impression that the tune is in the process of being updated to fix this issue. Any thoughts hassmaschine?
I think the only way to truly resolve this is to re-build the 130i tune from scratch for the 1 series based on the original 128i tune. However, I haven't had any motivation to do this (I don't know anybody with a 128i - heck, I haven't seen a 1 series of any kind in person for years).

technically it isn't hard and it can be done for somebody motivated enough. I'd love to close this loop as well, but I can't justify the time involvement.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:56 PM   #790
Donkeyshins
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i ZSP 6MT

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the only way to truly resolve this is to re-build the 130i tune from scratch for the 1 series based on the original 128i tune. However, I haven't had any motivation to do this (I don't know anybody with a 128i - heck, I haven't seen a 1 series of any kind in person for years).

technically it isn't hard and it can be done for somebody motivated enough. I'd love to close this loop as well, but I can't justify the time involvement.
Well, I have a 2010 128i 6MT, a Bimmerlabs cable, and will have some time over the Christmas holidays, if you want someone as your lab rat for this hassmaschine.
Appreciate 1
Blau366.50
      12-21-2022, 10:31 PM   #791
E90_slides
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 325i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoov View Post
Ok. I think the only thing at this point is the cable.

It’s not my laptop as my laptop is pretty new and it’s a dedicated laptop for the bmw tools.

I don’t think it’s the software because everything else works except for flashing (gives the fatal errors) and I’ve never adjusted my settings or updated anything.

Hopefully my bimmergeeks cable gets here soon so I can get to the bottom of this.

Hey did you ever get it figured out? I messed up the first time and had to junk my 325i. I’ve been too scared to try it again since I’ve gotten another 325i 6mt. The only difference this time is I have a 25amp charger, I only had a 5amp trickle charger the first time, and a bimmergeeks cable, instead of a cheap Amazon cable. Hopefully I don’t mess anything up and have to junk this one too. I asked for help on the forum but nobody could help me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:37 AM   #792
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bae View Post
Hey did you ever get it figured out? I messed up the first time and had to junk my 325i. I’ve been too scared to try it again since I’ve gotten another 325i 6mt. The only difference this time is I have a 25amp charger, I only had a 5amp trickle charger the first time, and a bimmergeeks cable, instead of a cheap Amazon cable. Hopefully I don’t mess anything up and have to junk this one too. I asked for help on the forum but nobody could help me.
Absolutely no reason to junk a care or even a DME for a failed flash. Your request for help has probably come along a few years to late. Most of the people that could help have moved on to other platforms or are just too busy with the own lives to simply help yet another stranger. Last guy I "helped" took several hours of my time over a few week ends. I just don't have that kind of free time anymore. It's not a matter of monetary rewords, I've never accepting any. Just working 60+ hours a week, every week leaves little time for my other hobbies. I've got a really cool job, so it counts as a hobby.

If you are not totally tech savvy, I bet one of the professional Coders can help you. They normally don't charge much and some of them are very knowledgeable. Worth the investment.
Appreciate 0