E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > ~DIY: $130 Rear View Camera with OEM integration (vendors will hate me)~

01-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #89
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Advice: Make sure the green/brown CANbus wires on the emulator are twisted together to ensure proper functionality.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #90
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 335d LCI

Hope this will help you, I was confused at the beginning as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Hoping someone can chime in a help me out here.

I've had all the components install, Camera, emulator and coded successfully.

But I'm stuck at a hurdle. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

The wires for the reverse camera at the back doesn't seem like its getting power perhaps at the correct connection points.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #91
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

for all of you who did this project and have the camera working, did you guys scan for the error codes after the installation?? I have 11 CANbus errors. Is it cause my emulator is not functioning?? I have not done any programming yet as I am waiting for the guy to do it for me to activate the camera, all the wires are connected as per DIY
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #92
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

If anyone in the us needs an emulator I have 2 brand new ones. Will sell for $85 shipped.
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #93
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzes View Post
Hope this will help you, I was confused at the beginning as well
Thanks for your help mate.

I actually did do this and didn't work. Last night checked all wiring and they're all connected.

I was a little suspect about the +/- RCA that is suppose be connected to the CIC 21 and 24 so I found another 12v power source just to see if it worked. FAILED as well.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I might just ripped everything off and started again, its just a PITA.

Did you use another harness? or you connected the Emulator directly to the OEM wires at the back of the CIC?

I've got the harness, but didn't use it
      01-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #94
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

well that is strange, it should work cause that short red cable is going together with the video under the same sleeve and that is the power for the camera (should be connected to white from the emulator). Keep in mind, I don't have programming done yet so all I have for now is everything connected but don't know if mine will work yet. Strange thing is that I have 11 errors reported assuming all are due to the addition of that emulator but till my coding is done I will not take the unit out yet. Will wait till next weekend for that.
No use of any other harness, the one that is posted on here they do not ship to Canada so I spliced my cables. The RCA in my case black end was the negative and clear one was the positive (the pin in the RCA jack). I used shrinking sleeve to make sure they will not touch any other pins.

Once again, I am surprised with all the errors/warnings I have found so I am a bit skeptical if this really works or maybe my emulator not working as it should be. Not sure why I have so many errors but hopefully I will get to it and make it work Will be posting more after the coding

Quote:
Thanks for your help mate.

I actually did do this and didn't work. Last night checked all wiring and they're all connected.

I was a little suspect about the +/- RCA that is suppose be connected to the CIC 21 and 24 so I found another 12v power source just to see if it worked. FAILED as well.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I might just ripped everything off and started again, its just a PITA.

Did you use another harness? or you connected the Emulator directly to the OEM wires at the back of the CIC?

I've got the harness, but didn't use it
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #95
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

would you mind telling more about it?? why ? what the difference it makes? they are both in the separate sleeves so why twisting make the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelybug View Post
Advice: Make sure the green/brown CANbus wires on the emulator are twisted together to ensure proper functionality.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #96
djkevinnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i FBO

Quote:
would you mind telling more about it?? why ? what the difference it makes? they are both in the separate sleeves so why twisting make the difference?
The can lines all thoughout the car are twisted. I'm not 100% sure if it has to do with an interference thing, but they recommend keeping them as twisted as possible
e90 jet black on terra//pure stage 2//fuel-it stage 3 lpfp & pi w. return//motiv tuned//vrsf dps//vtt inlets & outlets//helix fmic // er w. hks bov // bms dcis // spec stage 3+ w. mfactory smfw // cdv delete // clutch stopper // kw v1 // m3 control arms // whiteline fsb // cic|combox|backup camera retrofit // m3 headliner retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #97
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Looks good and nice diy write up. I was going to get one myself but after using a merc with one for a while I found I much prefer the sensors and the way it shows up on the display. Btw how come the paint on the trunk has loads of Orange peak?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #98
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
It is quite odd. I've had it in the car for sometime now but not functional is which quite annoying. I've done everything and followed the instructions, with coding done as well.

Let me know how you go once you've coded your car.

Second thought, maybe I have a faulty camera. I might pull that out and test it on my TV, powering the camera with a 12v impact drill battery.

Quote:
well that is strange, it should work cause that short red cable is going together with the video under the same sleeve and that is the power for the camera (should be connected to white from the emulator). Keep in mind, I don't have programming done yet so all I have for now is everything connected but don't know if mine will work yet. Strange thing is that I have 11 errors reported assuming all are due to the addition of that emulator but till my coding is done I will not take the unit out yet. Will wait till next weekend for that.
No use of any other harness, the one that is posted on here they do not ship to Canada so I spliced my cables. The RCA in my case black end was the negative and clear one was the positive (the pin in the RCA jack). I used shrinking sleeve to make sure they will not touch any other pins.

Once again, I am surprised with all the errors/warnings I have found so I am a bit skeptical if this really works or maybe my emulator not working as it should be. Not sure why I have so many errors but hopefully I will get to it and make it work Will be posting more after the coding
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #99
bartolini9
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 2010

Hi guys!
I am planning to install the cameras in my BMW, but there is a basic question.
Am I able to retrofit my E90 if a car is fitted with S606A Navigation system Business (not Professional) ?
Best regards,
Bartosz
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #100
princelybug
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '11 LBM E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Precisely for the reason Kevin mentioned below ↓. If the wires aren't very twisted, electromagnetic interference will prevent the emulator from properly doing it's job. (Ask me how I know.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkevinnn View Post
The can lines all thoughout the car are twisted. I'm not 100% sure if it has to do with an interference thing, but they recommend keeping them as twisted as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
Looks good and nice diy write up. I was going to get one myself but after using a merc with one for a while I found I much prefer the sensors and the way it shows up on the display. Btw how come the paint on the trunk has loads of Orange peak?
But with this camera, you get the rear view and the sensor display + alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolini9 View Post
Hi guys!
I am planning to install the cameras in my BMW, but there is a basic question.
Am I able to retrofit my E90 if a car is fitted with S606A Navigation system Business (not Professional) ?
Best regards,
Bartosz
I don't see why not?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #101
bartolini9
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelybug View Post
I don't see why not?
I just wanted to be sure

Guys, has anyone been wondering to use 2.4G wireless adapter like this
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/New-2-4G-Wire...item1c3d915e58
instead of pulling through a few meters of video cable?
I know that a direct cable connection is much better than WIFI signal, but maybe it could work really nice?
I assume then that the WIFI transmitter and camera will be supplied from the reverse light, but what about the receiver? Would be better if it will be supplied from continuous 12V or should be connected to the white cable from camera view emulator? Then the question about action speed has appear. How much time can it take until the view from camera will be established? Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Bart

Last edited by bartolini9; 01-10-2015 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #102
Ace2ace
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i

Hell I'm a new member to this new site. I have a 2011 335I, I was looking to see if anyone had any info on backup cameras. Then I stumbled into this thread. I was wondering if you can install it for me I will pay you? I live close to you, I'm in city of commerce. I will greatly appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #103
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

so finally I was able to get someone to do the coding as per original post. Before I have finalized the installation of the camera and emulator and my PDC was working just fine. After scanning ODB2 I realized there is few errors (will see if I can attach the text file here) that I can not clear and all occurred after the installation of the emulator. We did the coding and all of the sudden my PDC is not showing on the screen and camera is not being triggered as well (PDC is still doing the sound, beeps while in close proximity to the obstacle). I am confused and lost. I know my wires are connected correctly, one thing is that twisting that I know I have to correct but why PDC was working just fine with sound and screen display before coding and right after all was left is sound and screen is not switching to the backup screen. I need help not sure what and why, is it possible the emulator is faulty?? This weekend I will disconnect it and see if errors can be cleared, also will twist those cables again, but as I said, my PDC was working just fine when the cables were not twisted.
Attached Files
File Type: txt iPhone_FaultReport_BMWhat.txt (1.6 KB, 651 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #104
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

didn't work for me as well, posted my experience and what happened after the coding was completed prior this message I left the coding in place, but my backup screen failed to show when switched to reverse, gonna have lost to do this weekend to figure out why

Quote:
It is quite odd. I've had it in the car for sometime now but not functional is which quite annoying. I've done everything and followed the instructions, with coding done as well.

Let me know how you go once you've coded your car.

Second thought, maybe I have a faulty camera. I might pull that out and test it on my TV, powering the camera with a 12v impact drill battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #105
alnew2003
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 328xi 2008

Smile Programming Instructions for CCC

I am brand new on this forum… and very excited on possibility to add the backup camera.

On step 6 of DIY was described how to program CIC.

I am planning to install the camera on 328XI 2008 with iDrive (CCC) and PDC.

Can someone confirm that this installation is possible and provides me with programming instructions for CCC?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #106
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
didn't work for me as well, posted my experience and what happened after the coding was completed prior this message I left the coding in place, but my backup screen failed to show when switched to reverse, gonna have lost to do this weekend to figure out why
Man that sucks! I'm considering buy a retrofit kit now from Bimmer-tech at least I know for sure it will work.

Wonder why its not working? just doesn't make sense, since we have both followed the instructions
      01-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #107
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

Is your PDC still working after the coding?? does the screen pops up while in reverse??

I can't tell makes me sad as I was really looking having this work. I am going to take a step back, I will disconnect the emulator leaving the wires in place, then I will try and clear the error codes and see if all get cleared. Then I will double check all the connections and check if the camera works on its own if it gets power (which i believe it does but I did not check that with the tool as it is simple connection). If I confirm all the cables are good and connected properly then all I can say is the emulator that is not doing its work. I do worry about coding as well since my PDC is not opening its own screen when in reverse but it detects obstacles lol. Oh, and I will make sure those wires are twisted again as mentioned by Princelybug and Kevin, but to be honest I don't think it has anything to do with magnetic as they are isolated but will give it a try.

Quote:
Man that sucks! I'm considering buy a retrofit kit now from Bimmer-tech at least I know for sure it will work.

Wonder why its not working? just doesn't make sense, since we have both followed the instructions
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #108
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yes, my PDC is still working after coding. And the screen still pops up in Reverse gear.

But where I am suppose to see the reverse camera on the CIC, its just blank/black. So I just assumed there was no power on the camera. I'm 100% sure I gave it a power, which I used a few +/- power sources (battery, 12v socket rear and front)

I even tried to source the power else where with the RCA cable that was suppose to be inserted in 21 and 24 pins. As I thought maybe the pins weren't connected/touching. You can't really tell.

Still no luck! biggest PITA

Quote:
Is your PDC still working after the coding?? does the screen pops up while in reverse??

I can't tell makes me sad as I was really looking having this work. I am going to take a step back, I will disconnect the emulator leaving the wires in place, then I will try and clear the error codes and see if all get cleared. Then I will double check all the connections and check if the camera works on its own if it gets power (which i believe it does but I did not check that with the tool as it is simple connection). If I confirm all the cables are good and connected properly then all I can say is the emulator that is not doing its work. I do worry about coding as well since my PDC is not opening its own screen when in reverse but it detects obstacles lol. Oh, and I will make sure those wires are twisted again as mentioned by Princelybug and Kevin, but to be honest I don't think it has anything to do with magnetic as they are isolated but will give it a try.
      01-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #109
grzes
Captain
Canada
Rep

well you are in better situation than I am bet as soon as you figure out your camera you will be fine, me on the other hand I have a big problem to solve, not only new function is not working but also function that was working fine (PDC) stop working ha ha ha

Quote:
Yes, my PDC is still working after coding. And the screen still pops up in Reverse gear.

But where I am suppose to see the reverse camera on the CIC, its just blank/black. So I just assumed there was no power on the camera. I'm 100% sure I gave it a power, which I used a few +/- power sources (battery, 12v socket rear and front)

I even tried to source the power else where with the RCA cable that was suppose to be inserted in 21 and 24 pins. As I thought maybe the pins weren't connected/touching. You can't really tell.

Still no luck! biggest PITA
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #110
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
This happened to my customer and it ended up being the camera wasn't getting power. He then hooked it up directly to the battery to test and whammo! It worked. Give that a shot first... However as previously posted above, probably not a good idea to have the camera constantly drawing power.
Appreciate 0