E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > That DARN centre roof console!!!

09-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
yxalitis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i E90 Executive

That DARN centre roof console!!!

OK, I have read the various DIY's that mention the roof console, some say getting it off is easy, some try and squeeze fingers in between the roof liner and the windscreen, some say credit cards, or even use a pastry scrape.

NOTHING WORKS!
I don't know whether i am just too cautious (I do NOT want to damage my car), but I have tried to get that bastard cover off as hard as I dare...NOTHING WORKS. It's as tight as...a very tight thing indeed...

All I want is switched power and ground, in my 2006 E90 320d, I have rain and light sensors, a wiring harness is RIGHT THERE, but the colours don't tell me what's what...

SO EITHER.....

Can someone tell me a safe way to access the roof console...

OR

Can someone tell me what wires are switched power and ground, and whether it's OK to tap into that harness for me to retrofit an EC mirror (no compass, no Homelink, no alarm, just auto dim).

ANY help appreciated...!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
yxalitis
Banned
Rep

NO ONE???

Surely someone can help me out??
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Okay. Pull the sunvisor clips. You have to flip open the little covers and undo the screws. This makes it infinitely easier to access that roof panel. To pop it out put your hand between the windshield and the headliner and push the two metal clips (one one each side of the front of the console, about 1/2 inch from the ends) toward the back of the car while at the same time pulling the console down. I don't recommend this method of install, as I like the a-pillar to fusebox method better, but if this is how you want to do it, then use my instructions.

For ground, use the little bolt on the moonroof motor, or anything that touches metal for that matter. For power you can use a probe to test, or search for a radar DIY here to get the colors.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratplaya06 View Post
Okay. Pull the sunvisor clips. You have to flip open the little covers and undo the screws. This makes it infinitely easier to access that roof panel. To pop it out put your hand between the windshield and the headliner and push the two metal clips (one one each side of the front of the console, about 1/2 inch from the ends) toward the back of the car while at the same time pulling the console down. I don't recommend this method of install, as I like the a-pillar to fusebox method better, but if this is how you want to do it, then use my instructions.

For ground, use the little bolt on the moonroof motor, or anything that touches metal for that matter. For power you can use a probe to test, or search for a radar DIY here to get the colors.
Infinitely easier is an understatement.

I've done both methods... through the sunroof and and by removing the sunvisor clips (although I was replacing my interior lights).
stratplaya06 is right on the money for removing the front roof console - easiest and quickest way. I think all you'll need a Torx 20 screwdriver if I remember correctly.

I wanted to shoot myself after struggling so much with the 'through the sunroof' method...
      09-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
yxalitis
Banned
Rep

Thanks, I'll try that tonight...

For your interest, I am wiring up a simple EC mirror...
Electrochromic interior mirror works autonomously. You only need to connect positive voltage (green/white, pin 3) and ground (brown/black, pin 10). If you want to make it as it is from the factory (auto dim goes off on reverse) you will also need to connect it to LCM (blue/yellow, pin 1) and coding.

Specifically for the Autodim to work, only 3 wires needed to be hooked up :
- Pin 1 +12V Only when in reverse blue/yellow
- Pin 3 +12V Ignition source green/white
- Pin 10 Ground brown/black

I will have both ground and ignition wires up there, as I have sunroof/light sensor/rain sensors, all requiring power and ground. I should also have the blue\yellow wire, but if I don't, I am not that fussed...I have yet to have an issue reversing into a bright light!

Last edited by yxalitis; 09-27-2010 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
yxalitis
Banned
Rep

THANKS!

Well, that should be in the DIY section, that is by FAR the best way to access the roof console!
With that out of the way I was able to complete the install perfectly, happy to report that Australian Beemers have EVERYTHING wired up there!
Fitted the mirror no worries, and with no risk of damaging my car opeingn the console!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

Haha glad to help man!

There's almost nothing I haven't taken apart on this car. Once you take the headliner out/replace all the speakers/wire in a bunch of dash electronics, you basically have removed each interior part at one point in time.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0