F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Studio RSR

01-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #1409
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres.be View Post
I was just able to interact with Siri via bluetooth and I’m so happy about it. I had the situation with Carplay exactly as you described, however, today I realized that if I change the iPhone mute switch to off (I usually have my phone muted) I can interact with Siri through bluetooth as expected. Hope this helps.
by mute switch do you mean the physical switch on the left side of the phone above the volume buttons?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #1410
ShaunDT
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
I was just able to interact with Siri via bluetooth and I’m so happy about it. I had the situation with Carplay exactly as you described, however, today I realized that if I change the iPhone mute switch to off (I usually have my phone muted) I can interact with Siri through bluetooth as expected. Hope this helps.
You mean the little switch on the left of the phone? I usually have that muted as well. I will give that a try this morning. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #1411
andres.be
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
by mute switch do you mean the physical switch on the left side of the phone above the volume buttons?
yes, exactly, that switch. I hope it works for you too.

actually, I realized the switch needs to be off and you need to place a phone call for it to start working. I know it’s not ideal but works.

Last edited by andres.be; 01-14-2018 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #1412
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsec View Post
Go to arm settings, then select the google app box.
Yup, that did the trick.

I was having some issues with my GPS (using a GPS splitter) but after updating the firmware to the same 11/17 version, it seems ok at least for now.

Some other issues I'm seeing.

1. Carplay connecting - Doesn't connect after plugging in my iphone and need to "OK" the connection. Sometimes it won't even find the connection and requires a couple of "unplugging and re-plugging" the phone and/or the adapter.

2. the 24hr time option doesn't stick.

3. Siri wasn't working unless my phone was on mute. It still has problems transcribing. Don't know whether this is a firmware issue or not. I may try re-uploading the Carplay app on the avin unit.

4. Now i'm seeing location and wifi "mini" icons on the top bar in the apps screen. Didn't see this before....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #1413
thedredd
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D LCI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
Any news about December update release date?
Also I'm is interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #1414
carlitos3
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arainho View Post
Sorry, it was misspelled, I wanted to write "it returns to the same screen", that is, when I turn off the car with the Android screen I get the Android screen when I turn it on, when I turn off in the OEM screen, I get the OEM screen.

I haven't notice that, i will put my attention next time. I will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #1415
carlitos3
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavic1010 View Post
Yup, that did the trick.

I was having some issues with my GPS (using a GPS splitter) but after updating the firmware to the same 11/17 version, it seems ok at least for now.

Some other issues I'm seeing.

1. Carplay connecting - Doesn't connect after plugging in my iphone and need to "OK" the connection. Sometimes it won't even find the connection and requires a couple of "unplugging and re-plugging" the phone and/or the adapter.

2. the 24hr time option doesn't stick.

3. Siri wasn't working unless my phone was on mute. It still has problems transcribing. Don't know whether this is a firmware issue or not. I may try re-uploading the Carplay app on the avin unit.

4. Now i'm seeing location and wifi "mini" icons on the top bar in the apps screen. Didn't see this before....
I have the same issues as well for CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #1416
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

The gps splitter is placed on the top right dash below the windshield, however gps sometimes never get fixed..sometimed it get delayed for not less than 3 min and sometimes it take seconds..whats the problem? Can somone help?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #1417
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Siri - Carplay

Quote:
I'm confused about what you mean by "interact with Siri via Bluetooth". In what way does Bluetooth have anything to do with interacting with Siri?

Do you mean the phone does not need to be plugged by USB cable into the Carplay adapter?

Do you engage Siri by pressing the home button on the phone, pressing something on the Android screen or just saying "Hey Siri"?

The only way I've been able to use Siri to act through Carplay is by voice directly to the phone. This means the phone must be able to hear me (i.e. not in my pocket, glovebox or center console). For me, it doesn't matter whether the phone is muted or not. I cannot activate Siri by pressing the button on the left lower part of the Carplay screen on Android although Tommy said this should work. To be sure, a lot of what he's said to me has been either wrong or the answer to a question I didn't ask.

I have the phone paired/connected to the OEM headunit via Bluetooth. I do not have it paired with the Android headunit because when paired/connected with both headunits, Carplay would list artists/albums/tracks but not play them or do so for only 1-2 seconds

Please - a little more detail would be great

Last edited by dpaul; 01-15-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #1418
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I'm confused about what you mean by "interact with Siri via Bluetooth". In what way does Bluetooth have anything to do with interacting with Siri?

Do you mean the phone does not need to be plugged by USB cable into the Carplay adapter?

Do you engage Siri by pressing the home button on the phone, pressing something on the Android screen or just saying "Hey Siri"?

The only way I've been able to use Siri to act through Carplay is by voice directly to the phone. This means the phone must be able to hear me (i.e. not in my pocket, glovebox or center console). For me, it doesn't matter whether the phone is muted or not. I cannot activate Siri by pressing the button on the left lower part of the Carplay screen on Android although Tommy said this should work. To be sure, a lot of what he's said to me has been either wrong or the answer to a question I didn't ask.

I have the phone paired/connected to the OEM headunit via Bluetooth. I do not have it paired with the Android headunit because when paired/connected with both headunits, Carplay would list artists/albums/tracks but not play them or do so for only 1-2 seconds

Please - a little more detail would be great
I have my iPhone connected to the OEM bluetooth for music and calls, I don't use the Android bluetooth either since the audio quality of the OEM side is way better.

I connect my iPhone to CarPlay via USB and lightning. Once I connect the phone to the USB the music stops playing through bluetooth and I have to select the bluetooth audio output on my phone to resume the music through bluetooth.

I interact with Siri in Carplay either by "Hey Siri" (not sure if it is my phone or the OEM bluetooth mic that is listening) or by pressing the "Home button" on the CarPlay screen. When I did that I used to hear no audio from Siri through bluetooth, the Siri responses were being routed to the Aux output.

However, I realized that if I have the mute switch on my phone off (the switch right above the volume controls on the iPhone) and I place a dummy call with my phone the Siri audio starts playing through the OEM bluetooth as expected.

I hope this clarifies my situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #1419
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have my iPhone connected to the OEM bluetooth for music and calls, I don't use the Android bluetooth either since the audio quality of the OEM side is way better.

I connect my iPhone to CarPlay via USB and lightning. Once I connect the phone to the USB the music stops playing through bluetooth and I have to select the bluetooth audio output on my phone to resume the music through bluetooth.

I interact with Siri in Carplay either by "Hey Siri" (not sure if it is my phone or the OEM bluetooth mic that is listening) or by pressing the "Home button" on the CarPlay screen. When I did that I used to hear no audio from Siri through bluetooth, the Siri responses were being routed to the Aux output.

However, I realized that if I have the mute switch on my phone off (the switch right above the volume controls on the iPhone) and I place a dummy call with my phone the Siri audio starts playing through the OEM bluetooth as expected.

Does Siri read text messages to you through carplay? She did before for me when using the Avin Aux, but it was scratchy. Through OEM BT, I hear nothing regardless of the position of the mute switch.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #1420
andres.be
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
Does Siri read text messages to you through carplay? She did before for me when using the Avin Aux, but it was scratchy. Through OEM BT, I hear nothing regardless of the position of the mute switch.
Yes, Siri reads text messages through the OEM BT.

Try with the mute switch off (meaning the phone is not silent) and place a call (I call home and hang up as soon as I hear the first ring).

After I do that I start hearing Siri through the OEM BT.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #1421
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, Siri reads text messages through the OEM BT.

Try with the mute switch off (meaning the phone is not silent) and place a call (I call home and hang up as soon as I hear the first ring).

After I do that I start hearing Siri through the OEM BT.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #1422
mavic1010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification. I was able to get the OEM BT connection for music and calls, but didn't quite get the Siri being activated through the OEM BT. I knew the sound was coming through the AUX, so was actually thinking about getting a cheap speaker to connect, but if all it takes is a "dummy" call to get it to work, might as well do that.

Seems like to get everything just right, its like preparing for a rocket launch by checking off all the "to do's", but so far its pretty much everything I wanted and need.

Now if I can only get Carplay to load up like Raichan did in his video, I'd be golden.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #1423
sandpiperx
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30

Hello

2013 BMW 3281 no combox no nav. 6.5" screen. Will this unit work on my wifes ride with the backup camera that can come with the unit? all we mainly want is nav and backup and to play some usb or music from our phones in bluetooth. let me know what I need ot order and have a wonderful day....M
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #1424
KevDon92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Is there a way to have the CarPlay app open automatically when a phone is connected?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #1425
akine
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmx X1

GPS Sound

Hi to eveybody.

I am sorry for my english. It is very bad.
I have a problem with the device:
When I am listening the OEM radio I can not hear the GPS sounds. It ocurrs with Tomtom and Radardroid.
But if I use Sygic it runs perfectly!!!!!
I have searched in the setting of Tomtom and Radardroid, Arm settuings, etc... but I did not find anything.
Anybody can help me?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards from Spain!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #1426
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep

Guys, is it I am the only one who can't shuffle music within the same folder? In the Music section, the unit reads all the music folders I have in the USB and when I click a song inside one of the music folders and choose to shuffle ("random") and click next song it plays another song from another music folder..any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #1427
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpiperx View Post
Hello

2013 BMW 3281 no combox no nav. 6.5" screen. Will this unit work on my wifes ride with the backup camera that can come with the unit? all we mainly want is nav and backup and to play some usb or music from our phones in bluetooth. let me know what I need ot order and have a wonderful day....M
It will work yes. You need to order the unit from avinusa with backup camera and gps reciever. You will just need first to check your connector type on the back if its CIC or NBT so they can send you the correct unit. In order to do this, you have to dismantle your screen and take a screenshot of the connector connected on your back of your screen. Contact Tommy at avinusa for more details.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #1428
CookieInYaFace
Rep
Drives: 320d E91 2006 CCC Prof

Could somebody maybe help me?
My device stuck at the Bootscreen and I can't reset it. The Avin Support is not even answering me since weeks...
I've heard some of you got a tool from Tommy for reseting the firmware? Can you share it maybe with me?
I can't even get into the standard CCC Unit ...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #1429
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieInYaFace View Post
Could somebody maybe help me?
My device stuck at the Bootscreen and I can't reset it. The Avin Support is not even answering me since weeks...
I've heard some of you got a tool from Tommy for reseting the firmware? Can you share it maybe with me?
I can't even get into the standard CCC Unit ...
Did you try resetting it from the back using a toothpick or something to press on the back dot of the right side of the machine "reset"? It should restart the system.

Also try pushing both eject buttons (DVD and CD) and the volume knob (AKA the mute button) at the same time. Wait about 30 sec for the factory system to complete its reboot.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #1430
Cenzoreg
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymon View Post
Raichean

Just discovered this. Check out your bluetooth via the android screen. While I am able to hook up the bluetooth on my iphone and Android 7 huawei phone. When u made calls to the connected phone, calls out or tries to play music via bluetooth connection, there is no voice/music from your car ! Screens shows coming out/incoming calls though.

While trial an error. I only managed to have the connected phone ring once via the car speakers( the old Nokia ringtone should sound off your car speaker if there is an incoming call) . thats the only once when there is voice coming from the car speaker. Subsequently. It does not ring again though screen shows there is an incoming call. I tried swapping around the phones but never to get it work again.

However the stock bmw headunit bluetooth is working fine. For info I attempted to unpair from the bmw bluetooth to see if it is some software conflict. Can't make it work too.
Hi there, Just wondering if anyone can help me I have a similiar scenario. I have installed a Avin Usa head unit. Everything is connected properly however I am not able to get sound. The only time I had sound is when I had an incoming call, i heard a nokia tone play once.

Apart from that no music, video etc has any sound. Very fustrating. What can be done.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0