F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
ARMA SPEED

01-28-2018, 05:11 AM   #1475
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenMart View Post
Great.

Was able to make this work as well a while back. However I decided to use the Android unit itself for Navigation (Waze) and others.

Was not able to make the iDrive controls work on Android Auto. It works using CarPlay. Any luck on yours?
I don't have CarPlay. However this is better for me than using directly Google maps from the unit as when I open Google maps from the unit directly it makes the unit very laggy and overloaded in performance and secondly phone GPS fix is much better than the external GPS receiver of the unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #1476
ddigian
Danilo
Italy
Rep
Drives: bmw 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouma View Post
Great news for those looking to have Android Auto working on their Avin units. Android Auto was successfully working on my unit using the below headunit reloaded app as of below without CarPlay:

Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xy.trial&hl=en

Demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj3EHUm96Wk

The best way to connect is USB, simply plug your phone into the headunit usb and when prompted on the headunit make sure you allow hur (headunit reloaded app) to be the default app, you should see the prompt twice, in this case you do not need to start any developer mode or such on the phone.

For connecting over WiFi:
1) start android Auto on the phone and start the headunit server
2) create a WiFi hotspot from the phone
3) connect the headunit to the WiFi
4) start HUR
5) press WiFi

I tested it for several days and hours
head unit reloader with android auto
and I noticed that it is often unstable
it crashes because app takes resources from the processor especially if there are other applications running in the main unit.
Also if you exit the app with the (BACK) key and you fall back sometimes crashes
WHILE with the dongle carplay / antroid auto this does not happen because it does not
the processor is stressed.
Also with the ACTIVE wifi the batteries are worn out and the phone does not charge
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #1477
Mrwhite79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Two questions.

I have a 2012 with the base 6" no nav stereo.

1 - can you listen to the original radio and an Android app at the same time? Like, have waze on the screen, receive audio directions from waze, and also still have FM radio running?

2 - Is there a way yet to stretch the OE idrive interface to fill the 10" screen without having it do the split screen with whatever it shows?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:47 AM   #1478
Shouma
Enlisted Member
Egypt
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwhite79 View Post
Two questions.

I have a 2012 with the base 6" no nav stereo.

1 - can you listen to the original radio and an Android app at the same time? Like, have waze on the screen, receive audio directions from waze, and also still have FM radio running?

2 - Is there a way yet to stretch the OE idrive interface to fill the 10" screen without having it do the split screen with whatever it shows?
1- Yes no issues at all.
2- No wont be possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 07:15 AM   #1479
Mrwhite79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
1- Yes no issues at all.
2- No wont be possible.

Do you have to do anything special to maintain audio from one side to the other when switching or is it just automatic?

Last edited by Mrwhite79; 01-29-2018 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:16 AM   #1480
Johny172g
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 318d 130kw

Hello everyone..i need your your help guys. I have succesfully installed avin unit to my e90 bmw. I know this forum is for f30 but i couldnt find any help at other forum. So everything is working perfectly fine, sound is great etc but my original idrive iu wont work. Everytime i try to open original car it will come with some watches wallpaper. I tryed to change settings but still same problem ocures. I have also tryed to change car type but there isnt e90 only e60 etc. Please help me btw sorry for bad englishĺ
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 04:38 AM   #1481
madmunky
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by calle14 View Post
Trying to make a decision and I hope the community can help me out. I've been looking into buying one of these devices for my 2014 328d. It has navigation so I already have the bigger screen. I really wanted to use it for things like waze, google maps, music streaming, etc. I've been reading the thread and it seems that the device gets slow while using google maps and I believe also waze. Is this correct?
So my obvious question would be, is everyone happy with their purchase or not.
Like I mentioned I would use it for the traffic related apps and for internet audio entertainment, does anyone use it for something else that I'm not aware off? Any other apps, etc.
Thank you in advance.
The Unit works fine, I use Waze but the display is a bit funny due to the way its stretched and the main issue is the unit can be a little slow.

If you have the option of using Android Auto or CarPlay I would say this gives you the best experience my only issue is the lack of Waze for CarPlay currently so your stuck with Apple Maps which has a nice UI but lacks the traffic information of Waze
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #1482
deviant-aut
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320ed

Quote:
The best way to connect is USB, simply plug your phone into the headunit usb and when prompted on the headunit make sure you allow hur (headunit reloaded app) to be the default app, you should see the prompt twice, in this case you do not need to start any developer mode or such on the phone.
Does it autostart after you confirmed the prompt or does the promp start every time?
I also cant find in the thread how high the loading current is. I hope it's higher than 500 or 1000 mAh.

Another thing. Today the version changed. 2012-2016 and 2017-2018. Is ther a new software version or hardware revision.
Any news?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:01 PM   #1483
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny172g View Post
Hello everyone..i need your your help guys. I have succesfully installed avin unit to my e90 bmw. I know this forum is for f30 but i couldnt find any help at other forum. So everything is working perfectly fine, sound is great etc but my original idrive iu wont work. Everytime i try to open original car it will come with some watches wallpaper. I tryed to change settings but still same problem ocures. I have also tryed to change car type but there isnt e90 only e60 etc. Please help me btw sorry for bad englishĺ
No. I dont recommend it if you have nav. I'm really disappointed in the unit and i wish i could get my 500 back. Had it for a while now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 04:07 AM   #1484
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Good questions, but taking the last one first. They have a new email ticketing system, so when you email them you should get a response and ticket number. That way you know it was received and will be reviewed.

As far as the rest.. complicated answer. Some issues like sound quality from the android side fluctuating between builds I know they are aware of and working on. Some issues appear to be installation problems or loose cables. Some I simply don't understand and haven't seen myself. I have a gen 1 display, probably one of the very first released and not seen anything like what folks have reported here. The only g1 issue I have seen is the oem backup camera not cutting in while on the android side. The rest of the issues? Maybe I have just been lucky but it's been fantastic since install. I do though have a gen2 literally on the way so hopefully that will be resolved.

I will say that my biggest struggle is with the perception that Avin doesn't respond ever, doesn't return emails, or even doesn't care. I have installed their products into every car I own for the last 5 years, and roughly a dozen other cars for friends and family. I speak with them about updates, info, setup etc at least several times a week and hear back very quickly every time. I am fairly convinced Tommy and his staff don't sleep, as I see responses at all hours, 7 days a week. I believe him when he says he gets thousands of emails a day, which is a chore to keep up with, but responds to them all.

So.. I think it is a great product, love it in my F32.
I would say the highest priority for me is to fix the allow by default issue when plugging in an iPhone. In my M3 it becomes quite a hassle for me to have to reach up and press that every time so that CarPlay will work. We need to somehow write up a list of prioritized items and submit them to avin as a group. If we don't get any results then I'm gonna start giving them bad reviews.

I'll list my issues below and others can add to them if I missed something, or put your email (that avin would recognize you by) under the issue to show how many customers are having the issue.

1) "Use by default" dialog for CarPlay adapter every time.
-skoold2003@yahoo.com

2) Remap steering wheel controls to work with CarPlay/Siri
-skoold2003@yahoo.com

3) Retain settings (eq and brightness)
-skoold2003@yahoo.com

Last edited by skoold2003; 02-01-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #1485
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I would say the highest priority for me is to fix the allow by default issue when plugging in an iPhone. In my M3 it becomes quite a hassle for me to have to reach up and press that every time so that CarPlay will work. We need to somehow write up a list of prioritized items and submit them to avin as a group. If we don't get any results then I'm gonna start giving them bad reviews.

I'll list my issues below and others can add to them if I missed something, or put your email (that avin would recognize you by) under the issue to show how many customers are having the issue.

1) "Use by default" dialog for CarPlay adapter every time.
-skoold2003@yahoo.com

2) Remap steering wheel controls to work with CarPlay/Siri
-skoold2003@yahoo.com

3) Retain settings (eq and brightness)
-skoold2003@yahoo.com
I would agree with the list as CarPlay is what I use 99.9% of the time, most of these would be fixed by a 'CarPlay' application rather than the head unit/firmware though.

Would be nice to know what they are working on.

Issue 3 - Retain settings (eq and brightness) - Whats your issue here? Mines save's all my settings, it would be nice if the brightness could be set to a time though say 9am till 6pm 100% brightness then 0% the rest of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:11 PM   #1486
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmunky View Post
I would agree with the list as CarPlay is what I use 99.9% of the time, most of these would be fixed by a 'CarPlay' application rather than the head unit/firmware though.

Would be nice to know what they are working on.

Issue 3 - Retain settings (eq and brightness) - Whats your issue here? Mines save's all my settings, it would be nice if the brightness could be set to a time though say 9am till 6pm 100% brightness then 0% the rest of the time.
I think that the OS would need to be patched for the default app to stay set to CarPlay. Either way they should fix it. The point is to get a unified priority list and give to them as a group instead of a bunch of one off issues. For issue 3 I've lost eq settings but the brightness might have to use something like you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #1487
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Theres a new 2018 release in case any of you missed it. I have no idea whats new as i just updated to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #1488
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
At what times is the unit slow? Can you have waze running in the background and listen to iheartradio app at the same time? I guess my question is can you have multiple apps running at the same time?
Yes, you can do this fine, I sometimes have Waze on in the background while using CarPlay but most of the time I will use Waze in the background on my phone.

The system is just slow when using the applications like trying to search in Waze, I guess I don't face the issue as much as others as 99.9% of my usage is via CarPlay and that means everything is running from the Phone but just displaying on the screen.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #1489
madmunky
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fssaez View Post
Theres a new 2018 release in case any of you missed it. I have no idea whats new as i just updated to it.
From Avin?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #1490
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes it was sent to me yesterday from avin.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #1491
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What are your main issues with the device?
Its just too slow for anything. Spotify which is probably the app i use the most asks me to login every few days. And wr all know about sound quality.

Fornav i use waze... And its really slow. Using both apps at the same time its just too much for the unit.

I guess if im driving out of the city on a trip longer than 1 hr its ok...u have more the enough time to set up; But for me its not worth it. My daily drive is 10miles so Im halfway through by the time the gps locks position and i finally got to play music on spotify.

Im now trying to play with that headunit reload app but it doesn work on my u it. For some reason the screen goes black when usinhg usb. Tried wifi and the screen went crazy. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #1492
Mrwhite79
Enlisted Member
Rep

If anyone is looking for a better performing unit, this one on Aliexpress uses a *slightly* better chipset and more ram. I had a previous android HU running this hardware and yea, it was a little slow to load stuff, but it was perfectly usable and the 2gb of ram is certainly a big help when running more than one app. Not as fast as your phone, but probably comparable to a 2012 in car nav.

https://goo.gl/Tyaqiy

That hardware had no problem running Waze and Pandora at the same time for me.

The other manufacturers really need to update the hardware on these. 1gb of ram and that RK3088 chip are ancient. 2Gb and RK3188 isnt much better, but it is noticeable. Newer units are shipping with octo-core chips, 4gb ram and boot/load things waay faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #1493
stlb5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C MT, '15 X5 Msport

Quote:
Yes it was sent to me yesterday from avin.
This will be my first update. How do these normally work? Do they gradually roll out the updates via email? I haven't gotten an email yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:33 AM   #1494
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlb5 View Post
This will be my first update. How do these normally work? Do they gradually roll out the updates via email? I haven't gotten an email yet.
Just ask for it by email. They will not notify you when theres a new version. You will find out here.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #1495
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Just ask for it by email. They will not notify you when theres a new version. You will find out here.
I believe there is a process of email notifications coming out.. I got what appeared to be an email list driven email letting me know there was an update. I do know they are working to improve communications on this like this.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #1496
fssaez
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwhite79 View Post
If anyone is looking for a better performing unit, this one on Aliexpress uses a *slightly* better chipset and more ram. I had a previous android HU running this hardware and yea, it was a little slow to load stuff, but it was perfectly usable and the 2gb of ram is certainly a big help when running more than one app. Not as fast as your phone, but probably comparable to a 2012 in car nav.

https://goo.gl/Tyaqiy

That hardware had no problem running Waze and Pandora at the same time for me.

The other manufacturers really need to update the hardware on these. 1gb of ram and that RK3088 chip are ancient. 2Gb and RK3188 isnt much better, but it is noticeable. Newer units are shipping with octo-core chips, 4gb ram and boot/load things waay faster.
Yeah I saw them too late.

What I did buy was a new Asus Tinkerboard and ill take my avin out so I can use it for my own development.
Appreciate 0