E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

04-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #683
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

wow cant wait for my fabricated downpipe to be finished
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #684
335iPSI
PSI
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
From my data it appears the car starts to defuel if the EGT's get to ~1200F. Never seen that except at the 1/4 mile with the DPF in place.

The link posted earlier of my dyno with the Evolve and Evolve+Custom stuff showed EGT's (post turbo, pre DOC) for dyno pulls where the EGT's touched 1100 F with the Evolve and ~1150 F with Evolve+Custom.

With the Ecotune + Custom I haven't seen anything higher than 1050 F and that's at much higher hp levels than previously. Not sure what this will do with the downpipe, but I'd expect it to be a little lower.

Morry86's comment about longer component life is right on the money. If you ever looked at how hot the EGT's were post turbo when shutting down your vehicle ... well I never liked how hot things were. With the DPF delete the EGT's are much cooler in general and also at idle things cool down very fast. Shutting down at EGT's below 350F is now quick and easy to do.
TDI --- does your "custom" include meth or just the progressive JBD?

Curious what effect the meth would have in addition to your mods.

Ecotune + DPF Off + Downpipe = XXXX EGT's
Ecotune + DPF Off + Downpipe + Meth = XXXX EGT's
      04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #685
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iPSI View Post
TDI --- does your "custom" include meth or just the progressive JBD?

Curious what effect the meth would have in addition to your mods.

Ecotune + DPF Off + Downpipe = XXXX EGT's
Ecotune + DPF Off + Downpipe + Meth = XXXX EGT's
50% H2O/50% methanol with progressive control that ramps with boost and rpm.

Progressive JBD distortion with rpm. All that fussing around is to keep the torque at low rpm's near the max limits of the transmission for long term drivetrain health, but add in safe torque at the higher rpm's where the remap only torque was starting to fall off. This extends the power band at the top end rpm's a lot and keeps whomever is driving from over torquing the drivetrain at low rpm's.

The H2O/meth radically lowers intake air temps (see the plots from the dyno link) to sub ambient levels in hot weather and helps control EGT's at the extra fueling levels. This adds safety margin for long term health of the engine even with all this extra fueling. On bimmerfest in my old "data collection thread" there's more data on this.

The Ecotune + DPF Off + OEM canister with DOC + Progressive H2O/meth + Progressive JBD = sub 1050 F EGT's (very good, safe temps) and traction control lights in 3rd gear even at ~4000 rpm's on smooth concrete roads with Quaife LSD and Continental DW Extreme Contact summer tires. There is now more torque than I can put to the ground with RWD only at any legal speed. Also, there's a pretty good amount of smoke above ~3900 rpm's with this combination of stuff at full fueling.

Unfortunately there was no call from the dyno shop today saying they finished the truck that's in the shop on their dyno floor location... so no dyno data to post. The new motor mount stretch bolts are here. Have all day commitments tomorrow and ~300 miles of driving to do. But after worship Sunday I'm planning on tackling the Ecotune downpipe install. Should be able to dyno that combination next week if everything goes as planned and if the shop gets that truck done.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #686
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Good luck w the install and hope all is well amigo
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #687
charlieheal123
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 335d Coupe (354 BHP)

Garage List
Quote:
50% H2O/50% methanol with progressive control that ramps with boost and rpm.

Progressive JBD distortion with rpm. All that fussing around is to keep the torque at low rpm's near the max limits of the transmission for long term drivetrain health, but add in safe torque at the higher rpm's where the remap only torque was starting to fall off. This extends the power band at the top end rpm's a lot and keeps whomever is driving from over torquing the drivetrain at low rpm's.

The H2O/meth radically lowers intake air temps (see the plots from the dyno link) to sub ambient levels in hot weather and helps control EGT's at the extra fueling levels. This adds safety margin for long term health of the engine even with all this extra fueling. On bimmerfest in my old "data collection thread" there's more data on this.

The Ecotune + DPF Off + OEM canister with DOC + Progressive H2O/meth + Progressive JBD = sub 1050 F EGT's (very good, safe temps) and traction control lights in 3rd gear even at ~4000 rpm's on smooth concrete roads with Quaife LSD and Continental DW Extreme Contact summer tires. There is now more torque than I can put to the ground with RWD only at any legal speed. Also, there's a pretty good amount of smoke above ~3900 rpm's with this combination of stuff at full fueling.

Unfortunately there was no call from the dyno shop today saying they finished the truck that's in the shop on their dyno floor location... so no dyno data to post. The new motor mount stretch bolts are here. Have all day commitments tomorrow and ~300 miles of driving to do. But after worship Sunday I'm planning on tackling the Ecotune downpipe install. Should be able to dyno that combination next week if everything goes as planned and if the shop gets that truck done.
Awesome!! I want it on mine!!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #688
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
... But after worship Sunday I'm planning on tackling the Ecotune downpipe install. Should be able to dyno that combination next week if everything goes as planned and if the shop gets that truck done.
OEM canister is out, Ecotune downpipe is in. That whole process is a long, time consuming, arduous mess... pay somebody to do this if you have someone you trust and is familiar with it.

Had a couple issues on the fitment. The main one is the NOx sensor wouldn't "go in". The threads are correct (checked all the ports before going forward on install) but the sensor is bottoming out on the recess too soon so the threads do not engage. This was, of course, the last sensor I tried installing after getting everything replaced and installed.

I fashioned a "plug" for this port out of the scraps I had available. The NOx sensor is just hanging at this point.

Hoping to do a quick test drive tonight..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #689
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hoping to do a quick test drive tonight..
First test drive went good. No codes "set" or "pending".

Exhaust note is throatier and deeper. Exhaust smell at idle isn't bad at all. A bit more diesel smell than with the DOC, but nothing like my old Jetta TDI.

Will be monitoring data this week to see how things are working and slowly progress to full fueling tests.

Will try to post some pics later from the install. I'm whooped...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #690
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Godd work TDI
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #691
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Great work, looking forward to hearing more!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #692
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I thought this whole thing had been tried and thoroughly tested by Ecotune before they shipped it to you? I guess not, but anyway glad things are working out hope to see before and after dynos soon!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #693
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
I thought this whole thing had been tried and thoroughly tested by Ecotune before they shipped it to you? I guess not, but anyway glad things are working out hope to see before and after dynos soon!!
Hmm... don't recall reading that or being told that was the case. Can you point to a reference Stan made saying all the fitment and probes connections had been completely checked out (335d doesn't have NOx sensors in Europe as far as I know)? I was viewing this as a prototype/testing situation. Considering how complicated the pipe/fittings/connections/mounting/etc, I think it's pretty darn good.

The dyno will be comparitive to the Evolve only, and Evolve + custom. But it will be on different days with different fuel in the tank with different tire conditions and most likely different ambient conditions, so it won't be a perfect comparison (but no dyno comparison is). The dragstrip comparison is what will really be interesting to me, as I care much more about how a car does on the road vs strapped down to a roller.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 12:08 PM   #694
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Very true no reference to the fitments but I would of believed this product would be as plug and play friendly as posible for that matter. I understand what ur imlpying as to dynos but some of us would of enjoyed that information so that there wouldn't be any misleading information. And we appreciate this products claim I also believe your criteria power against time is another factor. BTW I've always done before and after dynos just in case anyone wants to know
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #695
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

OK, round trip to work and back today had no codes "set" or "pending". Also did some fairly aggressive fueling runs with the Bavarian Technic tool to check "desired boost" vs "actual boost" numbers and those looked good, whithout overshooting/overspeeding of the turbo. All good stuff.

Here's some pics of the Ecotune downpipe during the recent install.

The weight of the OEM canister with the DPF section removed was ~18 lbs.

There's one bracket used on the OEM canister that is not used on the Ecotune downpipe. It can be removed and saves some weight.

During shipping the "pressure tubes" were bent a small amount and I had to pull them apart to get the "vacuum tubes" to go on the Ecotune DPF pressure differential tubes. I'm not sure these are even needed as there should be 0 pressure difference now.

The lower mount OEM bracket that supports the bottom of the OEM DPF canister was just a tiny bit off from Ecotue "hole". It might have also been bent a bit from shipping similar to the pressure tubes. I drilled a slightly offset hole on the OEM bracket and it then fit fine. Also, the OEM canister had a threaded hole for this placement. The Ecotune downpipe did not have a threaded hole, so I used a bolt/nut/lock-washer for this in place of the OEM bolt.

Also attached a pic of the NOx sensor issue. Stan confirmed 3 of the 4 prototypes also had an issue here. That is supposed to be rectified going forward. I haven't had any issues with plugging this hole and leaving the NOx sensor hanging.

So far I'm quite delighted with how things have progressed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #696
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

One other thing.

The flange mount to the mid/SCR pipe section was a slightly smaller diameter than the other pipe it was welded to, and the mid-pipe section it was bolted to. I ground that down some to be flush so there wasn't a step in diameter in that area...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #697
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Great
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:23 AM   #698
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Good stuff, so you guys had this shipped from Stan from ecotune in the UK?

I have a stage 2 setup basically, ecotune and dpf removal.

I initially had a few problems with pressure sensors then leaking boost from the swirl flaps but fixed them.

I get white smoke on startup for around 5 seconds or so and when opening up there is definitely smoke upon acceleration not thick black smoke buts its definitely viewable.

There is also a constant smell from the outside and small sound increase in idle, full throttle this is again a slight sound increase it sounds nice, like a tame V6.

From the few dyno graphs i seen at Stan's of stage 1 vs stage 2 there was a more or less consistent increase of power of 20bhp and similar torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #699
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotuneuk
We have all the feedback now and have made a couple of revisions to the design which were marginal but important. I have submitted my thoughts on the RRP and all being well we will be offering a nice $200 saving to the first 10 customers to order the package. Thank you all again for your support and interest in the development of this kit. We truly believe that anyone who installs it will be delighted with the results!

Kindest regards,

Stan
Good stuff Stan. Nice to see you and your staff open to feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #700
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I'll be next in line...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #701
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Worked up to some full fueling tests today . All is looking good and my things are playing well with Stan's tune and downpipe.

Here is some Bavarian Technic data on an example 3rd gear full fueling run. Boost looks great with no overspeeding of actual vs requested. EGT's are ~50F lower than with the gutted canister with the DOC in place and in very safe regions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #702
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

@tdiwyse, I can't wait to see your 1/4 mile times.. When do you think you'll make it to the track?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #703
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
@tdiwyse, I can't wait to see your 1/4 mile times.. When do you think you'll make it to the track?
Timely question. Opening day is this coming weekend. There's a chance things will workout so I'll be there.

Forgot to mention, the car is showing the highest predicted mpg's ever seen for daily driving. Not sure if its the summer fuel, the downpipe, the NOx sensor not being in place, or the car hasn't adapted to the new modifications yet ... will be interested to see the hand calculated #'s over a few tanks to check.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #704
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

Any chance we can hear a sound clip?

I am waiting for the day that we get to hear a 335d with a more pronounced exhaust note.
Appreciate 0