E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Doing a Power Steering Flush on E93

10-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #1
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Convertible

Doing a Power Steering Flush on E93

I'm trying to do a PS flush on my 08 E93. A good friend recommended I get some PS fluid, get some type of fluid extractor, take out the old fluid, fill it up with new one (around the 2nd line on the power steering resvoir), drive around a few days, then repeat the process again 2-3 times.

Am I missing anything else?

Is the right fluid to use:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-CHF-.../dp/B002WTHW26

Is this a good extractor to use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mityvac-M...actor/44362229

Any insight would be appreaciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMusician View Post
I'm trying to do a PS flush on my 08 E93. A good friend recommended I get some PS fluid, get some type of fluid extractor, take out the old fluid, fill it up with new one (around the 2nd line on the power steering resvoir), drive around a few days, then repeat the process again 2-3 times.

Am I missing anything else?

Is the right fluid to use:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-CHF-.../dp/B002WTHW26

Is this a good extractor to use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mityvac-M...actor/44362229

Any insight would be appreaciated.
That's pretty much what I did with a similar extractor. It may not be a complete fluid changeout, but, certainly better than nothing.

Re the fluid - there are 2 types of ps fluid used. The cap on the reservoir will tell you what fluid your car uses. CHF Pentosin seems to be the most common.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #3
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Are there any disadvantages to doing this method? Or will this at least get the job done?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:
Are there any disadvantages to doing this method? Or will this at least get the job done?
Yes I am planning this also....but .....a few changes in my DIY.

1) I am going to change the Resevoir Bottle completely. There is a Filter in it.

2) My DIY in simple terms.....and I will be creating a DIY for it as there is not enough info on this.
Turkey baster method is not good enough.....for me atleast.

Diy steps.
1. Get front wheels on jack stands and make sure wheels are off the ground. No ramps and remove belly pan.
2) open steering fluid reservoir bottle.
3) Find BANJO BOLT from under car.....it's 17mm I think....and drain fluid.
4) Turn steering wheel full left right to pump out all of it.
5) Remove reservoir Bottle....install new......will need 2 new c clamps as you will be cutting the hose to remove the old clamps.
Install new reservoir......tighten BANJO BOLT.
Refill fluid and turn steering full left and right to get the air out.....top it up and check everyday of driving to level drop for about 3 days of use.

Just my way.....and my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

I did the turkey baster method. I got a turkey baster for a couple bucks and ended up putting a large hose clamp where the rubber piece attaches to the plastic part to get a better seal.

My opinion is that the actual drain method isn't worth it. You have to replace the banjo bolt washers when you reinstall it, and you have to deal with getting all the air out of the system. Power steering fluid holds up well enough that I don't care about not getting all of the old fluid completely out.

I used two bottles of fluid. I removed and refilled the fluid in the reservoir, and then turned the wheels back and forth enough times that the fluid in the reservoir was dark again. I probably did 5 or 6 lock to lock rotations. Then I refilled it again and drove it for a bit. Repeated that until I used all of the first bottle, and then a month or so later I did it again with a second bottle.

Febi-Bilstein has a CHF11 that's a bit cheaper than the Pentosin. It's ~$15 instead of ~$20. I think Prestone makes one also. I used Febi and it's fine...can't speak for the Prestone but it says it meets the spec. I think the Prestone might only be available in 12oz bottles.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had a few questions while doing this.

Do I drive the car about 20 mins, and then let it cool down for about 40 mins (do it while its warm)?

How many bootles of chf 11s do I need?

Also, do I turn the wheel all the way to the left and to the right after filling the PS to the max line with the new fluid?

Last edited by BMWMusician; 10-25-2016 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
Refill fluid and turn steering full left and right to get the air out.....top it up and check everyday of driving to level drop for about 3 days of use.
Do I do this after filling up the new fluid? How many times?

And do the flush while the engine is warm?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do I do this after filling up the new fluid? How many times?

And do the flush while the engine is warm?
Warm/cold shouldn't matter for power steering fluid.

Yeah, turn the wheel after refilling. The system is designed to bleed the air out of itself as it runs. So when you turn the wheel back and forth and move the fluid around, it will push the air out. You want to turn it by hand with the engine off at first to get most of the air out, and then as you drive it will bleed out anything that might be remaining. The idea is just to get any big pockets of air out so that the pump doesn't damage itself trying to pump air.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Warm/cold shouldn't matter for power steering fluid.

Yeah, turn the wheel after refilling. The system is designed to bleed the air out of itself as it runs. So when you turn the wheel back and forth and move the fluid around, it will push the air out. You want to turn it by hand with the engine off at first to get most of the air out, and then as you drive it will bleed out anything that might be remaining. The idea is just to get any big pockets of air out so that the pump doesn't damage itself trying to pump air.

Great. I just bought 1 of the CHF 11S. Is that all I need? And how many times do I have to turn it back and forth (about 4-5 times left and right in the garage, then back up and drive around for about 10 mins turning)?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great. I just bought 1 of the CHF 11S. Is that all I need? And how many times do I have to turn it back and forth (about 4-5 times left and right in the garage, then back up and drive around for about 10 mins turning)?
Yeah, 1 bottle should be fine. It depends on which method you're using...if you're draining it I think 1 liter will be enough to refill it...if you're doing the turkey baster then going through 1 liter will change out a decent amount of fluid but not all of it.

I don't think it really matters that much about turning the wheel...I've seen some posts that say to turn it two times, and other people do it more. You just want to give it a few rotations to help get the air out...there's not too much risk of hurting anything. You only really need to bleed it if you're draining and refilling it. If you're using the turkey baster then you just empty and refill the reservoir so there isn't a chance for air to get into the system.

So if you are draining it, then just turn it a couple times after you fill it. You'll probably see the fluid level drop a bit as it pushes some air out. If you're turning the wheel back and forth and the fluid level isn't dropping then you're set. But again, it isn't that sensitive...no need to worry about doing it wrong. Just make sure you've added back in about the same amount you drained out and you'll know it's all fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going about it with the turkey baster method. I was told to fill it up to about the 2nd line, and do this for about 3 times every 2-3 days.

Last edited by BMWMusician; 10-27-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #12
BMWMusician
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To update, I did the turkey baster method.

Here's how the fluid came out:

There's still a little fluid that was left around the corners when I extracted. I'm guessing I will need to do this 1-2 more times?

Another question. When I filled it up, I put it in slowly, screwed the cap, and measured until it was right on the second line. Then I turned the wheels a few times left and right with the engine on, and drove the car around for 10 minutes. When I came back, and measured the fluid was slightly above the second line. Is this ok? I plan on filling it between the two lines next time:

Also, as soon as I came back from the drive, the oil light came on, with the 1+ quart symbol. Not sure if this is the reason why it came on, but should I drive the car tomorrow and see if it persist? If so, I have a quart of oil just in case.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Quote:

There's still a little fluid that was left around the corners when I extracted. I'm guessing I will need to do this 1-2 more times?

Another question. When I filled it up, I put it in slowly, screwed the cap, and measured until it was right on the second line. Then I turned the wheels a few times left and right with the engine on, and drove the car around for 10 minutes. When I came back, and measured the fluid was slightly above the second line. Is this ok? I plan on filling it between the two lines next time:

Also, as soon as I came back from the drive, the oil light came on, with the 1+ quart symbol. Not sure if this is the reason why it came on, but should I drive the car tomorrow and see if it persist? If so, I have a quart of oil just in case.

The Low Oil Light you have might suggest Engine OIL NOT Power Steering Oil.
Totally unrelated to each other.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

When the +1QT notification comes up, add the oil as soon as possible. The e-dipstick could possibly change the reading the next day, which may confuse you and you'll not add the oil. You are supposed to add oil within 120 miles of the notification coming up. Just add the oil.

Regarding the power steering fluid, I'd siphon off a tad to get it to the top line. No need to have it overfilled. Slightly above the line will probably not mean anything, but there is a top line for a reason.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0