E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help with Electrical Issue...Codes Posted

02-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
Cuda021312
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I Sport

Help with Electrical Issue...Codes Posted

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone and if anyone can please give advice as to what it could be!

I was idling in traffic for about a half hour when all of a sudden the dash lights all lit up, such as the abs, gear symbol, battery, etc. The wipers activated on high and I had no control over anything. The car then went into line mode. I shut it off and turned it back on and in seconds, the same thing started happening. I shut it off and tried the reset in which you hold the gas pedal down for 1 minute but the same thing started happening just seconds after turning it on. There was also a strange smell coming from the engine bay. It wasn't coolant or oil, but a different chemical type of scent. Eventually the battery just died and I couldn't even lock or unlock the car.

These are the codes that came up when my son brought me my diagnostic tool.

A0B5 - CAS-Fault, road speed signal-not present

2E82 - DME-Electric coolant pump, cutoff-not present

2E98 - DME-Generator, communication-not present

2A13 - DME-DMTL leak diagnosis pump, activation-not present

CD95 - Message (operation, cruise control/ACC, 0x194) faulty, receiver DME, transmitter DSC/SZL/LWS/ACC

2DEB - DME-Power management , vehicle electrical system-not present

2A13 - DME-DMTL leak diagnosis pump, activation-not present

2A12 - DME-DMTL solenoid valve, activation-not present

2A18 - DME-DMTL, heater:activation-not present

I'm going to change the battery as it is more than five years old, but I think it could possibly be the alternator? I can't test the alternator with a dead battery so I'm going to trickle charge it overnight to see if it will hold any charge so I can test the alternator. It definitely seems like it is an electrical issue of some sort!

Is there anything else that I should be looking at? Thank you all in advance!

Regards

Last edited by Cuda021312; 02-17-2020 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
marvinstockman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

You need an inexpensive multimeter to check system voltages.

Find a good DIY on Youtube.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:27 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda021312 View Post
I was idling in traffic for about a half hour when all of a sudden the dash lights all lit up, such as the abs, gear symbol, battery, etc. The wipers activated on high and I had no control over anything... 2DEB...
Based upon the Instrument Cluster "Light Show", wipers running with NO Stalk Activation, and 2DEB code, almost CERTAINLY "Overvoltage" causing "confused" Electronic Modules, and Most if not ALL of the codes you list. Just to understand how the Scan Tool works, see if you can read Freeze Frame Data (a "Snapshot of engine conditions, including Voltage), BEFORE you clear any codes. Look for "System Voltage" when each code was saved, particularly 2DEB.

My guess would be you will see 16V to 17V, and anything over about 15.2V is Overvoltage. Of course you need to have engine running and alternator charging to read system voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals. Make sure your battery terminals and ground straps are NOT loose BEFORE starting engine, and do NOT let it run more than ~ 30 seconds, as overvoltage can damage ECU's.

That condition is due to a failed Voltage Regulator in the rear of your alternator. If you have the Bosch 180-Amp Alternator, a replacement Regulator is ~ $45, whereas a replacment Alternator is ~ $450.

Here is BMW Fault Code Lookup Fault Code DEFINITION for "2DEB", along with a link to the Fault Information sheet for that code saved in your MSD80 DME, which suggests what is indicated above:
2DEB | DME: Power management, vehicle electrical system | msd80
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...AAMwAyADAANAA=

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Cuda021312
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Based upon the Instrument Cluster "Light Show", wipers running with NO Stalk Activation, and 2DEB code, almost CERTAINLY "Overvoltage" causing "confused" Electronic Modules, and Most if not ALL of the codes you list. Just to understand how the Scan Tool works, see if you can read Freeze Frame Data (a "Snapshot of engine conditions, including Voltage), BEFORE you clear any codes. Look for "System Voltage" when each code was saved, particularly 2DEB.

My guess would be you will see 16V to 17V, and anything over about 15.2V is Overvoltage. Of course you need to have engine running and alternator charging to read system voltage at the Jumpstart Terminals. Make sure your battery terminals and ground straps are NOT loose BEFORE starting engine, and do NOT let it run more than ~ 30 seconds, as overvoltage can damage ECU's.

That condition is due to a failed Voltage Regulator in the rear of your alternator. If you have the Bosch 180-Amp Alternator, a replacement Regulator is ~ $45, whereas a replacment Alternator is ~ $450.

Here is BMW Fault Code Lookup Fault Code DEFINITION for "2DEB", along with a link to the Fault Information sheet for that code saved in your MSD80 DME, which suggests what is indicated above:
2DEB | DME: Power management, vehicle electrical system | msd80
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...AAMwAyADAANAA=

Please let us know what you find,
George
Hi George,

I just read your response now! Thank you for your help and advise! I removed the voltage regulator the day I posted and ordered a new one through fcpeuro. The voltage regulator was the cause of my problem! I replaced it and also installed a new battery as it was long overdue! Just have to register and program the new agm battery and all is perfect!

Regards
Appreciate 0