E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car feels unstable???

04-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

You can also check the tires pressure. My X1 wobbles aide to side if the tires are under inflated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #24
sunny
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, e90 330i

try lower tire pressure.
32 front and 34 rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #25
bbbuzzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 335is convertible (manual)

If the e90 has a sport suspension, Koni FSD's work very well. Just did this for my worn out OEM's and oh what a difference! Made me fall back in love with the car and put my 911 dreams on hold for a couple years.
'06 330i MT, sport,premium (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 10:24 PM   #26
46m3csl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

if I can describe it any better is, basically the car gets a lot bump steer, to the point where it wobbles the car side to side.

no adjusting tire pressure does not help.

When I'm going around on-ramps that have expansion joints or cracks in them, the front end jumps all over the place. It's like the tires won't stick to the ground when it hits those bumps, so it ends up almost understeering, going straight instead of continuing the turn. Gives me a very uneasy feeling to the point where I have to slow down quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #27
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I used to have the same issues. Car felt very unsafe, bumpy, and very disconnected from the road under bumpy on/off ramps, and even on straight perfect roads going above 80mph.

I bought the car with 11k miles, so the suspension should have still be fairly well behaved.
Swapped springs for Eibach, struts for Koni yellow. Problem almost resolved. Car behaves much better now, very planted, very responsive. Still has a hint of shakyness on rough roads, but now going all the way to 120 doesnt feel unsafe.

I guess the main problem is I came from a STI, which was planted to the road no matter what. The 335 just felt so unsafe I had to swap suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #28
chadjones99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I

Garage List
2007 335 I  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
2007 same issues

I bought my 2007 mid last year ( 2019 ) it only had 74k on it. This car has the same issue, My wife has a 2011 328I and it handles GREAT !!! 1000 % better than my 335I , She also has a M package suspension and Run flat tires , and a bigger wheels ( 19 inch I think ) Mine has 17 inch or 18 I forget but it a much better road car.
As for my mine yes feels very unsafe at high speed. if there is a groove in the road it pulls in to it and feels like the rear end wants to come around.
So I replace rear shocks as they looked bad ( one had what looked like oil on it from the shocks seal ) I put stiffer than stock name brand shocks on it which did help the rear end but front still pulls over bad. I just cant believe that we need to switch to coil overs I gotta believe its a bushing issue. I have a lift and I cant see anything but then again I am not a suspension expert . Another thing is if you really pay attention the from steering wheel feels like it wants to wiggle ( going over small bumps ) like something in the front end being loose ? Anyway yes this sucks you buy a BMW ... 1 for the handling
oh I brought up the run flats cause I know the side walls are stiffer and think this may aid in not letting the car sway
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:42 AM   #29
ravzl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
I bought my 2007 mid last year ( 2019 ) it only had 74k on it. This car has the same issue, My wife has a 2011 328I and it handles GREAT !!! 1000 % better than my 335I , She also has a M package suspension and Run flat tires , and a bigger wheels ( 19 inch I think ) Mine has 17 inch or 18 I forget but it a much better road car.
As for my mine yes feels very unsafe at high speed. if there is a groove in the road it pulls in to it and feels like the rear end wants to come around.
So I replace rear shocks as they looked bad ( one had what looked like oil on it from the shocks seal ) I put stiffer than stock name brand shocks on it which did help the rear end but front still pulls over bad. I just cant believe that we need to switch to coil overs I gotta believe its a bushing issue. I have a lift and I cant see anything but then again I am not a suspension expert . Another thing is if you really pay attention the from steering wheel feels like it wants to wiggle ( going over small bumps ) like something in the front end being loose ? Anyway yes this sucks you buy a BMW ... 1 for the handling
oh I brought up the run flats cause I know the side walls are stiffer and think this may aid in not letting the car sway

Hey Chard, Were you able to figure it out and fix. I am having the similar issues. Any bum on a highway makes the car float and slide. This is at least subjective feeling. But feels unsafe. I would appreciate an update and hints to where I should look at. Visually all seem ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 02:58 AM   #30
924er
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i '10

Not sure why no one mentioned this already but why not start with checking the alignment, even if the car travels in a straight line, it can still be off. I had this issue before and a simple alignment with a wheel balanced resolved it. Also ensure suspension bits are good

DCI intakes, ER chargepipe, TIAL BOV,
VRSF 5in FMIC, BMS Downpipes COBB e30
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:19 AM   #31
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924er View Post
Not sure why no one mentioned this already but why not start with checking the alignment, even if the car travels in a straight line, it can still be off. I had this issue before and a simple alignment with a wheel balanced resolved it. Also ensure suspension bits are good
Alignment fixed all of my high-speed wandering issues. My mind still wanders but the shop can't fix that.

I've also got refreshed M3 front control arms, tie rods, and Bilstein B8s.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:23 AM   #32
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Had similar thing - it didn't feel like driving a bmw.

There were couple of bolts loose.

*Check two bolts between steering wheel and steering column.
The long thingy had both bolts loose.
The steering column also has one large bolt that can tighten or loose it. I was told not to mess with it but previous owner definitely has tightened it. Everyone that drive my car say that steering is heavy but i like it that way.

*Next under the belly check for two bolts that hold steering column in place.
One of those bolts was not tight.

*A bolt that clamps strut in it's housing behind a wheel.
Alignment shops usually don't tighten this enough and if you hit giant pothole, boom - out of alignment again.
I could do almost two turns on one side and 3 on the other.
Appreciate 1
924er352.00
      07-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #33
chadjones99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328I

Garage List
2007 335 I  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
aliment ??

No, I have not fixed mine. I put it up until I can do a turbo replacement. But I will try the aliment next it does pull straight so I wasn't thinking it was an alignment issue but I will be willing to try it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #34
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post
Had similar thing - it didn't feel like driving a bmw.

There were couple of bolts loose.

*Check two bolts between steering wheel and steering column.
The long thingy had both bolts loose.
The steering column also has one large bolt that can tighten or loose it. I was told not to mess with it but previous owner definitely has tightened it. Everyone that drive my car say that steering is heavy but i like it that way.

*Next under the belly check for two bolts that hold steering column in place.
One of those bolts was not tight.

*A bolt that clamps strut in it's housing behind a wheel.
Alignment shops usually don't tighten this enough and if you hit giant pothole, boom - out of alignment again.
I could do almost two turns on one side and 3 on the other.

Interesting. I would like to try on my pre-lci 330i (Europe version too), but I just want to be sure of which bolts you are talking about. Are the ones that tighten the steering column joint assemblies? Because I already tightened those. In this link you can see what I'm referring to: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_1516

If are not those ones, it's good news for me because I already replaced all front suspension components (also tightened steering rack bolt) but on irregular roads instability is transmitted through the steering wheel so there is little confidence when driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #35
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando93 View Post
Interesting. I would like to try on my pre-lci 330i (Europe version too), but I just want to be sure of which bolts you are talking about. Are the ones that tighten the steering column joint assemblies? Because I already tightened those. In this link you can see what I'm referring to: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=32_1516

If are not those ones, it's good news for me because I already replaced all front suspension components (also tightened steering rack bolt) but on irregular roads instability is transmitted through the steering wheel so there is little confidence when driving.
Yes, those two bolts.

I tried aftermarket wheels and they added some strange behaviour to the car.
Sometimes they caused steering and whole car to vibrate. Drove couple of miles and vibration eased to almost non existant. Turning felt strange... like something was loose but by very little. Sometimes there was no slack at all, other times steering was like disconnected from the wheels on higher speeds.

I suspect the center bore was not equal on all rims. These aftermarket rims were checked by two shops that declared them good to use.

When i put OEM wheels back there was no vibration or any kind of strange behaviour whatsoever.

This might be clue to some, apparently bmw is very sensitive to the wheels you use. Even if they are "declared straight" they could be the main cause of issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #36
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

I just got my car off of jack stands after doing the rear subframe bushings and engine mounts that required me to lower the front subframe. As soon as I got it bolted back together I took it to an alignment shop that's really close to my house. For the last week of my car has felt somewhat unstable on the highway. It was really bothering me, and I jacked it up again to check the tightness on all of the subframe, suspension, and control arm bolts. They were all good. Then I decided to check the tire pressures. The butt holes at the alignment shop put air in after I told them not to. Turns out my tires were a little over inflated which led to the feelings of instability. I just fixed that and now it drives smooth.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 05:50 PM   #37
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

In my case, a few days ago I discovered the exact issue my e90 has: bump steer. 10000 % sure. I've read that is very common on lowered vehicles, but mine is completely stock, except for the non-rft tires and Meyle HD control arm bushings. All suspension componentes were replaced within last year, including OE Sachs shocks, and have done aligment about 5 times at different places.

But I guess the problem is still aligment related. Since didn't know before about the exact term bump steer, I didn't save the last aligmnet specs, so I will get it done again and see if it solves it. If not, maybe RFT tyres is my last option.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 12:57 AM   #38
petrvales22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i N46B20B

Hey everyone,
I’m new here and I had same problem, when I hit any bump or something on road, it kicked into steering and gone somewhere, so after few miles i decided rear shocks are out, so I replaced them with new (SACHS) and now car feels very stable. I will change front one too, cause I think after 225k km It’s time. Hope this can help someone
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #39
turbon52
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328I E93

Maybe blown shocks? I'm replacing mine on my 328i because my car feels insanely unstable on the road. Especially at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0