E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 320d E90 After oil pump failure idling and running problems

03-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
BLKCoder
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90 M47

320d E90 After oil pump failure idling and running problems

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and hopefully somebody can help. (I'm not registered for one-time use, I will remain here to help others, if I can :-) )

I've bought a non-runner (I'm stupid, I know) E90 320d (M47) with cranking issue. The seller wasn't honest with me (he told me it started fine but another day won't started anymore, just cranking), because when I've fired up the car it said we have a oil pressure failure (0 bar).

I've dropped the engine subframe, removed the pan and I seen the balancing shaft gears in parts. I replaced the oil pump with balancing shafts, I set up like the service manual says and checked the bearings and assembled back.
Car started up, oil pressure back, but if the engine gets warm it's very hard to start again. The RPM counter just slowly comes up and it feels like not all cylinders firing up at the same time for ex. cyl1 starts, cranking cy3starts cranking 2,4... sorry for a bad explanation.
Sometimes it needs 5-15 seconds to fire up correctly the engine when its warm. Sometimes I need to wait 10 minutes between cranks.

Another issue:
If I try to drive the car put in 1st gear and doesn't matter how gently I release the clutch it will drops the rpm and stalls.
I've tried with higher rpm (2000) and does the same, seems like 10 HP engine.
No error codes in the computer on idling. When I try to move the car it says crankshaft sensor and rail pressure failure.

I really appreciate if anybody can help and point me to the right direction what else should I need to check, because I'm unsure about crankshaft issue.

I have ISTA-D/P so I can check live data.

Thank you for everyone,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

What actual codes are you getting?

I'd imagine that the crankshaft sensor may have picked up some debris from the balance shaft failure, causing it to malfunction. Maybe you could try cleaning it, or replace it.

Rail pressure is somewhat separate from the oil/internals issue, so I'd leave that until the crank sensor issue is sorted.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
BLKCoder
Rep

Thank you, I will try and let you know what happened. I can work on my car just on weekends.

Rail pressure @ idling its about 400 bar
When I press the throttle: 450/500 bar (when idling)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Rail pressure sounds fine to me, though I'm not massively experienced with that.

Let us know the codes when you can...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
BLKCoder
Rep

Hi Everyone,

I've cleaned the crankshaft sensor and still the same. Car generates a lot of black smoke (when tries to start warm) and when I tuned on the AC it stalled after 3 min. I've removed the subframe again, because according to the ISTA he turbo actuator has an open or short circuit issue. Next step I will checl the fuses.

I've read some information from INPA and it seems one or more injectors has fuel leak. Is anybody can confirm this please? Is it possible?

See attached pictures below.

Thank you,

Have a great weekend all,

Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
BLKCoder
Rep

Update:

Sorry for the big pictures, next time I will resize.

I've ordered x4 injectors (due to very high fuel return value)
Ordered new turbo cartridge (currently sounds like a siren)
New oil
New oil filter
New crankshaft sensor

I will wait for the parts to arrive. I will update this topic as soon as possible.
If this will not revive my engine, I will bring it to the scrapyard and I will burn it down
I have no more ideas.

Cheers,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Good luck mate. Sorry I don't have more to suggest...
Appreciate 0