E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 10 x64 (64-bit)

05-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #89
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
Glad to hear you got it working.

If I was able to help you, please click on the appreciate button. It's at the bottom left hand corner of every post. It's kind of grayed out until you mouse over it.
While it works intermittently, it is annoying that it won't connect to the car the majority of the time, so I am returning the cable i bought and I bought the One Stop Electronics cable. Hopefully I will have better luck with it. If nothing else, atleast then I can narrow my issue down to the software install, or the car itself (least likely).
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rat3d_m/
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #90
ibrandt
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Well, I got as far as...

Quote:
Copy the Windows ActiveX control MSFLXGRD.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and manually register it:
Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>copy C:\EDIABAS\BIN\MSFLXGRD.OCX . /v
C:\WINDOWS\system32>regsvr32 MSFLXGRD.OCX
Then I was greeted with this error:

Quote:
The module "MSFLXGRD.OCX" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.
Windows 10 Home 64bit, fully updated (Version 1511, OS Build 10586.318).

Any tips on where to go from here?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #91
ibrandt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrandt View Post
Then I was greeted with this error:

Quote:
The module "MSFLXGRD.OCX" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c.
Any tips on where to go from here?
Strike that. I wasn't running cmd as an administrator. I corrected that mistake, and it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #92
udderfailure
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2x 2008 335xi

I think i'm missing something little here or I pulled a stupid but here's where i'm getting stuck.

Quote:
When the Hardware Interface Settings screen appears, select USB to serial adapter. Click Next.
When I get to that step I don't have COM1 as an option. I have: STD:OBD, STD:CAN, REMOTE, STD:FUNK, EDIC, EDICC, ENET.

When I went to the device manager and found the cable under the COM & LPT it was originally listed under COM4 - rather than 3 (didn't figure it was a big deal... but maybe it was?). I changed both options as the guide suggested so that it now is under COM1. However, it doesn't show up in the install options. It is plugged into the same USB port it was initially as well.

Have you seen this before?

Otherwise (and I know i'm late to the party, but) this is an absolutely awesome write up, it's because of people like you in the community that i've been able to work on my car as much as I have and enjoy my car so much. THANK YOU!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #93
ibrandt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by udderfailure View Post
I think i'm missing something little here or I pulled a stupid but here's where i'm getting stuck.

When I get to that step I don't have COM1 as an option. I have: STD:OBD, STD:CAN, REMOTE, STD:FUNK, EDIC, EDICC, ENET.
I hit two steps during this point in the install wizard. The first was, "Select Hardware-Interface", where I chose "STD:OBD". The second was, "Select ODB COM Port". I chose COM1, but mistakenly forgot to check off the "USB to serial adapter" option. I then later found in Device Manager that COM1 was already taken by another device on my machine. I left my cable on COM3, and addressed both issues by editing the first few lines of C:\EDIABAS\BIN\odb.ini to read:

Code:
[OBD]
Port=Com3
Hardware=USB
FYI it appears the "Hardware-Interface" setting lives in C:\EDIABAS\BIN\EDIABAS.INI:

Code:
;#################
;# EDIABAS 7.3.0 #
;#################

;=============================================================================
[Configuration]
;=============================================================================
Interface        =STD:OBD
Simulation       = 0
I'm just getting started with all this, and have only poked around in INPA so far, so I can't guarantee these two config files are the only places the install wizard replicates these settings too. In fact other than just to try to give back and be helpful, I'm posting this in the hopes that someone more knowledgable will correct me if there is more that needs to be done to get this right.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #94
udderfailure
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2x 2008 335xi

Thank you. Apparently i'm just being to dense and only trying to follow the directions specifically. If I had just clicked next again it would have worked.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #95
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

First time setting up BMW Standard Tools and am getting this error while trying to register the WinKFP-NFS folder... I've double checked the folder name and copied a fresh version into C:. A little help?

06-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #96
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
First time setting up BMW Standard Tools and am getting this error while trying to register the WinKFP-NFS folder... I've double checked the folder name and copied a fresh version into C:. A little help?

This DIY does not utilize third party tools such as BMW coding tool. Perhaps you posted to the wrong thread?
      06-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #97
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Whoops! You're most likely correct Sorry about that.
      07-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #98
bizfiend
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Renting Corolla lol

Would it be fair to say coding e90 takes much more effort than needed for F-series.

I can code F-series and now I'm looking into learning how to code e90's, but it seems like it's way more complicated.

I use my daily laptop to code F-series, but it seems like I would have to buy a device solely to code e90's, is this true.

Thanks.

Last edited by bizfiend; 07-04-2016 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 09:03 AM   #99
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizfiend View Post
Would it be fair to say coding e90 takes much more effort than needed for F-series.

I can code F-series and now I'm looking into learning how to code e90's, but it seems like it's way more complicated.

I use my daily laptop to code F-series, but it seems like I would have to buy a device solely to code e90's, is this true.

Thanks.
I like to keep things isolated, so I really can't say from first hand experience. Like BMW Standard Tools, E-Sys leverages EDIABAS to communicate with the vehicle. They should be able to coexist...YMMV.

Neither chassis family is difficult to code. The main difference is that newer tools like E-Sys have an improved GUI as opposed to BMW Standard Tools which is significantly older and not as intuitive.
      08-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #100
JDNY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I received an error when on 02_Step_2 along the lines of "foreign application responded to a DDE initiate". After windows updates and installing .NET Framework 3.5 and rebooting this started functioning.

I am unsure of which one was the resolution but I suggest getting fully updated and installing .NET 3.5 before starting this procedure. I also went through the same steps after the rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #101
djdadi
Rep

I got everything installed correctly and looked up my I-level, and it is a version that's not even on that chart -- I assume this means it hasn't been updated since it was built in 2009.

Are there any benefits from updating some or all of the modules? I have the newest SP-Daten.

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #102
M3_E46_nightmare!
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3BMW

Good stuff from 808AWD325xi - Thank you! Now, can someone tell the size of USB needed for this? Anyone did this so far? -

~ I'm using windows 7 but seem to flow ok!

(Activating the link given SP-Daten alone takes a monstrous amount of 15.58GB when trying to download through MEGA.)

I'm heading for 64 gigabytes if no replies
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #103
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

Wondering if you can help. I took a round-about way of installing things. I already had INPA 5.0.6 up and running w/Standard Tools 2.12 - The issue is that once I fired up INPA and got past the initial vehicle select, all menus were in German.

I assumed that I didn't have the correct eng translations, and came here to see how to extract them from 5.0.2 and update. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the download you provided to work, but I was able to obtain 5.0.2 and all associated tools. I was able to follow along, although the folder structures of the install I downloaded were a bit different. Regardless all processes went smoothly. I did the install of 5.0.2 on an XP VM and got what I needed from there.

The issue presents itself now with the Win10 install. Once I run INPA, instead of what used to be Shift F2 for e90it is now Shift F3 (not a big deal). Past that point, menus are in english (WINNING!) The problem is if i go to Engine, MSD80 for N54 is not listed. I have copied over all the CFGDAT and SGDAT info, but don't see my engine listed. Previously running 5.0.6 it was in there and I could connect, it was just in German.

Any thoughts or ideas to point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Ran old installer in repair mode and got back all options. The Caveat is that now the secondary menus after selecting MSD80 N54 are once again in German. Can you give me a brief over view of how to fix that? Or what files I need to be extracting from the 5.0.2 install to update to English? Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by milfriez; 10-11-2016 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #104
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfriez View Post
Wondering if you can help. I took a round-about way of installing things. I already had INPA 5.0.6 up and running w/Standard Tools 2.12 - The issue is that once I fired up INPA and got past the initial vehicle select, all menus were in English.

I assumed that I didn't have the correct eng translations, and came here to see how to extract them from 5.0.2 and update. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the download you provided to work, but I was able to obtain 5.0.2 and all associated tools. I was able to follow along, although the folder structures of the install I downloaded were a bit different. Regardless all processes went smoothly. I did the install of 5.0.2 on an XP VM and got what I needed from there.

The issue presents itself now with the Win10 install. Once I run INPA, instead of what used to be Shift F2 for e90it is now Shift F3 (not a big deal). Past that point, menus are in english (WINNING!) The problem is if i go to Engine, MSD80 for N54 is not listed. I have copied over all the CFGDAT and SGDAT info, but don't see my engine listed. Previously running 5.0.6 it was in there and I could connect, it was just in German.

Any thoughts or ideas to point me in the right direction?

EDIT: Ran old installer in repair mode and got back all options. The Caveat is that now the secondary menus after selecting MSD80 N54 are once again in German. Can you give me a brief over view of how to fix that? Or what files I need to be extracting from the 5.0.2 install to update to English? Thanks!

Thanks!
If you want English INPA scripts, then your best bet is to grab the INPA CFGDAT and SGDAT folders from a working installation of INPA 5.0.2 as described in this DIY.

The INPA.INI configuration file in the C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT folder sets the function key assignments for chassis selection.

The chassis specific script selections can be found in the *.ENG configuration files, which are also located in the CFGDAT folder...i.e. E90.ENG.
      10-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #105
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you want English INPA scripts, then your best bet is to grab the INPA CFGDAT and SGDAT folders from a working installation of INPA 5.0.2 as described in this DIY.

The INPA.INI configuration file in the C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT folder sets the function key assignments for chassis selection.

The chassis specific script selections can be found in the *.ENG configuration files, which are also located in the CFGDAT folder...i.e. E90.ENG.
SPOT ON! I think that was the missing piece of the puzzle. I believe I copied over the original INPA.ini which didn't contain the updated vehicle codes.

Once I went back and replaced it with the updated .INI and then recopied the CFGDAT and SGDAT files over, everything seems to check out, along with an expanded vehicle menu select.

Thanks for that!

P.S. If anyone is still has a Windows 7 box sitting around, using Win7+XP Mode (MS virtual PC) is the way to go instead of installing, killing install, reinstalling, etc. Just build the VM, follow the install, extract your files, then copy to Win7/Win10 system. After you're done just kill off the VM all neat and clean.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #106
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Okay back again.

Got everything installed and up and running. In INPA I can select E89 and the appropriate engine.

Past that point, all is in German and German metrics. I know that I had copied the eng files across but for some reason, it appears as if it is not reading them. How can I get them to display english units/titles instead of German?

Thanks,
Brad
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #107
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
SPOT ON! I think that was the missing piece of the puzzle. I believe I copied over the original INPA.ini which didn't contain the updated vehicle codes.

Once I went back and replaced it with the updated .INI and then recopied the CFGDAT and SGDAT files over, everything seems to check out, along with an expanded vehicle menu select.

Thanks for that!

P.S. If anyone is still has a Windows 7 box sitting around, using Win7+XP Mode (MS virtual PC) is the way to go instead of installing, killing install, reinstalling, etc. Just build the VM, follow the install, extract your files, then copy to Win7/Win10 system. After you're done just kill off the VM all neat and clean.
Quote:
Okay back again.

Got everything installed and up and running. In INPA I can select E89 and the appropriate engine.

Past that point, all is in German and German metrics. I know that I had copied the eng files across but for some reason, it appears as if it is not reading them. How can I get them to display english units/titles instead of German?

Thanks,
Brad

The *.ENG configuration files only specify which chassis specific INPA scripts are to be executed. They do not influence the language variant and/or system of measure utilized by those scripts.

This DIY explains how to obtain and install English metric INPA scripts. If that's what your seeking, I suggest following the DIY...
      10-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #108
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

Quote:
This DIY does not utilize third party tools such as BMW coding tool. Perhaps you posted to the wrong thread?
It serves well when you read and re-read. I had a question about not seeing BMW Coding Tool in your instructions and I now understand why.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #109
xyzed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

Microsoft Register Server32

This is what happens when I attempt the step to load the NFS\Entpackt.

Instructions say ActiveX controls will fail to register. I don't see that happening
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:33 PM   #110
GottWhat
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i MT Sport

Great thread, ordered a cable and going to work on this over the weekend. Thanks!
Appreciate 0