E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Need Help - Coding faulty/Replacement CAS for E90

06-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series E90

Need Help - Coding faulty/Replacement CAS for E90

Hello Everyone,
I am new here and a first time BMW owner. Bought bought the car about 2 years ago (used) and it has been pretty okay until now.

Used car everyday without any major issue until I got in the car one morning and it refused to start.

My BMW E90 (3 Series) 2005/2006 developed a strange fault overnight. Car was okay until I got into it in the morning and it just wont start. The key taps when inserted in the key fod, light comes up on the dash but wont crank or start. Notice there was no fuel pump action too if I listened very well.

Called an auto electrical guy to look at it. He combed through before tracing the fault to the CAS Module. Though surprised the module will develop a fault just like that but I believed him.

Thought it was something that could be repaired by changing blown IC or the other so he took it out for repair. When he returned the repaired CAS2 module still dint start the car but also stopped popping the dash lights on and key fob stops tapping. Seem the situation had become worse. Key fod does not tap again when key is inserted, no light on dash, no crank, no start. Seem car is in some sort of limbo now.

Bought another CAS2 module (Used) and need some guidance to get it back working with the car again.

I have the following;
- K+D Can cable available.
- Old CAS
- Replacement used CAS
- INPA
- Downloaded E89 SP-Daten
- NCS Expert Installed (Most profiles I got have "expert" or so in the name).
- ISTA-D
- Other BMW Tools Software

Some other details to note;
- Old CAS still responds to tools and can read it properly. Its shows the yello steering lock symbol but ELV Counter Reset seem not to be working.
- New CAS shows the yellow key icon (guess thats expected.)
- INPA showing cable detected/battery on but No Ignition (don't know is this is a big deal)
- ISTA+ works okay aside "fault memory" tab is greyed out when i click "display fault memory (dont know if this is normal)

My Expected Solutions.
- Old CAS back in car reprogrammed/flashed. (dont know how far gone this CAS is)
- Replacement used CAS reprogrammed/flashed to work with car

Not sure which of these options is the easiers and less expensive but I will love to have the car back on the road as soon as possible.

I will really appreciate some guidance on how to get out of this mess and if chanced connect remotely to my PC to see whats happening. Really in need of urgent help.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Make a back up of the old module before you do anything.
(A software backup. and the whole car)
This is what you would normally do as part of the coding
procedure.
Make sure you have a good battery and charge it to max .

Last edited by ctuna; 06-20-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Don't know much about CAS replacement but are you positive it was the CAS module? I had a shop try to tell me the same thing, turned out to be the starter. Do you remember what codes you were throwing? Majority of the time no crank but dash lights light up is starter
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

You cannot replace your CAS with a used module without significant reprogramming to match your key and your DME. You cannot do that yourself with the software/hardware you have available.

Put the old one back, use ISTA-D or INPA to clear existing error codes, then try to start the car, then read the codes, then report to codes here
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #5
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Make a back up of the old module before you do anything.
(A software backup. and the whole car)
This is what you would normally do as part of the coding
procedure.
Make sure you have a good battery and charge it to max .
Thanks for the suggestion.
Any guide on how I can do this?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalcoding View Post
Don't know much about CAS replacement but are you positive it was the CAS module? I had a shop try to tell me the same thing, turned out to be the starter. Do you remember what codes you were throwing? Majority of the time no crank but dash lights light up is starter
I am beginning to believe the issue might not be the CAS but something else the CAS is communicating with.

Ran a vehicle test on ISTA+. CAS came with some faults among which was the ELV Counter. Did a delete error memory. CAS came up green on the control unit tree but car still wont crank or start.

The steering lock icon on dash disappeared for a moment, car wont start and no light on dash at all. Stop/Start has a light on it. Then after about few minutes 5-10 the steering lock icon on dash came back.

The DME shows red in the control unit tree. is that normal? Image below

https://gyazo.com/94468c4b075d1d9390995ddabdba0366
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxwaymire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalcoding View Post
I am beginning to believe the issue might not be the CAS but something else the CAS is communicating with.

Ran a vehicle test on ISTA+. CAS came with some faults among which was the ELV Counter. Did a delete error memory. CAS came up green on the control unit tree but car still wont crank or start.

The steering lock icon on dash disappeared for a moment, car wont start and no light on dash at all. Stop/Start has a light on it. Then after about few minutes 5-10 the steering lock icon on dash came back.

The DME shows red in the control unit tree. is that normal? Image below

https://gyazo.com/94468c4b075d1d9390995ddabdba0366
Show us the fault codes.

If that ISTA view with the new CAS you installed or original?

As said, you cannot simply install a new Used CAS as this will be already paired to a DME / EGS / KeySet.

You'd need to read the SK from the DME and then sort out the ISN in CAS. Then add some keys for that CAS (unless you have them). Until you do this the car will never start.

——-

Your JBE is a gateway to the other modules and has faults. This could be a problem.

Your 2005/2006 car may have ELV active if the CAS was never updated. BMW got rid of this feature with a CAS update. Use winkfp to update your original CAS (key out of ignition). ELV will be disabled.

Also, failing comfort access door handles can cause problems. Does your car have CA?

Just some ideas...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #8
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
You cannot replace your CAS with a used module without significant reprogramming to match your key and your DME. You cannot do that yourself with the software/hardware you have available.

Put the old one back, use ISTA-D or INPA to clear existing error codes, then try to start the car, then read the codes, then report to codes here
I saw a thread on CAS replacement here, probably thats what gave me the believe I could do the same. You can have a look at the thread and guide here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142249

Did as adviced. Cleared error coded in CAS and Functional Jobs (INPA).
After which I went to Activate then Reset ECU. The steering lock icon went off then i got an airbag and some other lights come on the dash. Image below;

Car dint start after this but the steering lock icon was gone for about 5-10 minutes but if i attempt to start nothing comes up again on that.

The various error codes I got before and after I cleared errors with INPA are attached.

ISTA+ fault memory is in the image below;
https://gyazo.com/ae6a664928df50f916e07e480a475f90
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Put stock CAS back in and reset ELV counter in Tool32.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #10
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw a thread on CAS replacement here, probably thats what gave me the believe I could do the same. You can have a look at the thread and guide here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1142249

Did as adviced. Cleared error coded in CAS and Functional Jobs (INPA).
After which I went to Activate then Reset ECU. The steering lock icon went off then i got an airbag and some other lights come on the dash. Image below;

Car dint start after this but the steering lock icon was gone for about 5-10 minutes but if i attempt to start nothing comes up again on that.

The various error codes I got before and after I cleared errors with INPA are attached.

ISTA+ fault memory is in the image below;
You didn't read that thread carefully - this only works with a brand new CAS from the dealership
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #11
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Show us the fault codes.

If that ISTA view with the new CAS you installed or original?

As said, you cannot simply install a new Used CAS as this will be already paired to a DME / EGS / KeySet.

You'd need to read the SK from the DME and then sort out the ISN in CAS. Then add some keys for that CAS (unless you have them). Until you do this the car will never start.

——-

Your JBE is a gateway to the other modules and has faults. This could be a problem.

Your 2005/2006 car may have ELV active if the CAS was never updated. BMW got rid of this feature with a CAS update. Use winkfp to update your original CAS (key out of ignition). ELV will be disabled.

Also, failing comfort access door handles can cause problems. Does your car have CA?

Just some ideas...
The ISTA view is with the original CAS.
Below is the ISTA+ fault codes that came with the control unit tree I shared earlier.

No my BMW does not have comfort access.

Attached more PDF with error memory in my response to @dpaul some miutes ago.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
You didn't read that thread carefully - this only works with a brand new CAS from the dealership
Oh wow. How did i miss that.

Well.. any clue from the other info provided in the attachments?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Are all those error screens with the original CAS in place?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #14
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Are all those error screens with the original CAS in place?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agree with Sensible - communication faults suggest JBE. Try re-flashing CAS, then re-flashing JBE. Can't hurt (unless you choose the wrong file)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #16
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Agree with Sensible - communication faults suggest JBE. Try re-flashing CAS, then re-flashing JBE. Can't hurt (unless you choose the wrong file)
Thanks.
Been combing the internet for a foolproof guide on how to flash CAS without luck.

Is there any guide on flashing CAS and JBE you can point me to?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I feel certain that you can find one of the many threads on how to use WinKFP if you search.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
I feel certain that you can find one of the many threads on how to use WinKFP if you search.
Copy that! Will run this by morning and revert.

Last edited by mxwaymire; 06-21-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #19
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Copy that! Will run this by morning and revert.
Remember to flash CAS without key inserted. The update will remove the ELV counter
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #20
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Have WinKFP properly setup following the video below.

Download E89 SP-Daten from;
https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g

Its a large 4.51GB zip file.

I run into an error when I search for any ZB No. For example my CAS ZB Number is 6981416 but it reports the error below;
https://gyazo.com/e62c15a72b1a8fa2c63cd086f05447b8

I tried to go the other route using "Chose ZUSB" and manually search for the ZB No. I went through the entire list without a match.

Please what am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have WinKFP properly setup following the video below.

Download E89 SP-Daten from;
https://mega.nz/#F!D9RSzQDQ!kfkRj1wG6VHRtemuG7Lv0g

Its a large 4.51GB zip file.

I run into an error when I search for any ZB No. For example my CAS ZB Number is 6981416 but it reports the error below;
https://gyazo.com/e62c15a72b1a8fa2c63cd086f05447b8

I tried to go the other route using "Chose ZUSB" and manually search for the ZB No. I went through the entire list without a match.

Please what am I missing?
Just use comfort mode and 'update zusb'. Winkfp will auto select the correct files. Just enter your VIN when requested and program zusb update.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #22
mxwaymire
Nigeria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Just use comfort mode and 'update zusb'. Winkfp will auto select the correct files. Just enter your VIN when requested and program zusb update.
Tried that before but any turn pops one error or the other.

Comfort (F1) > Update ECU (F3) > Select any ECU Family + Integration Position = Error message below;

https://gyazo.com/1db9cd1af508324d14b4c1468071a70f

Setup on 3 laptops using different files/downloads all the same.
Appreciate 0