E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Hearing a weird "click" sound when braking.

10-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
k3m0-330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i found out the issue it turns out bmw made bad sets of break pads and where the pad is a bit smaller in the caliper. they said that the pad is shifting in the caliper
2007 335i e90 - Sold
2002 Taig / Red / / / M3 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #24
chrismanchr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1986 mr2 mk1

ive experienced this problem recently ,and thought all along it was a brake issue ,but since it was going for an oil change ,I had the guys at my local bmw specailist check it out ,and they said it was the pads moving in the calipers ,more noticable at low speeds ,gonna have a good look with the wheels off then maybe change the pads
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3m0-330i View Post
i found out the issue it turns out bmw made bad sets of break pads and where the pad is a bit smaller in the caliper. they said that the pad is shifting in the caliper
Do you have any idea when the bad batch was made?

and guessing new pads fixed the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
bhmax16
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M4, '23 CX-50

My akebono euro pads do this as well (if it is the pads on my particular vehicle). It only does it when stopping from a slow speed in forward or reverse (usually a parking lot or my driveway but doesn't occur with normal driving on the street). When I have time I am going to inspect the caliper slide bushings because they could contribute to this as well. It doesn't bother me enough to worry about it and the slight clicking is worth living with to avoid the nasty dust the OEM pads produce. I really like these pads though I may try Hawks next time around.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Update. While searching for my clicking noise from switching directions, I had a idea it was the brake pads moving in the caliper. Guess what pads I have? Akebono Ceramics. I did my brake job with OEM rotors and all new BMW pins/boots/clips/everything new. Everything OEM BMW except the pads. Yes I love my Akebono dustless pads, but I honestly think I'm going back to a OEM BMW pad. You just can't beam OEM parts for late model cars.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #28
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

My brakes are silent in all uses of it. No problems at all with 4,000 miles on since change. And they are akebono pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #29
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Update. While searching for my clicking noise from switching directions, I had a idea it was the brake pads moving in the caliper. Guess what pads I have? Akebono Ceramics. I did my brake job with OEM rotors and all new BMW pins/boots/clips/everything new. Everything OEM BMW except the pads. Yes I love my Akebono dustless pads, but I honestly think I'm going back to a OEM BMW pad. You just can't beam OEM parts for late model cars.
I have OEM pads and they still make the sound from time to time, it was more persistent in my e90 but my e92 does so every so often
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #30
Bleach8484
Private First Class
Rep

Mine do this as well…its quite embarrassing when you pull up to a stop sign and pedestrians (and myself) hear this raggedy clicking coming from a modified BMW ;(

not 100% sure what brand pads the previous owner put on…but they aren't stock. They have blue backings if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #31
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^I'm going to switch back to new OEM pads.... in a few months. I'll hang on to the akebono's. they're 95% left.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
Rednelly
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 320d M Sport Step

Clicking front brakes

After having my brake pads replaced on my 2009 e90 320d by a so-called "reputable" local garage 6 months ago, I had a "clicking" sound coming from the front brakes which grew louder as the brakes became warmer. The click came whenever the pedal was depressed and then a second click followed when the pedal was released. This was accompanied by a "squealing" which was worthy of an 18 wheeler! After having the pads replaced again 2 months ago by the same garage, the "clicking" came back and recently, the squealing started again. After taking it to a friend who is a truck mechanic, he spotted the problem immediately. The wrong pads had been fitted. Apparently there are three different pads for my car and there are subtle differences to the profile of the inner edge of the pad where it meets the caliper and carrier. As mine didn't quite "sit" correctly, whenever I braked, the caliper was being pulled upwards and dislodging which was causing the clicking sound. The second click was due to the retaining springs pulling it back into place on the carrier. Correct pads 1 hour later - Sorted!
The garage had fitted the wrong pads initially and then used them pads as a guide to replace them the second time believing that the click and squeal was due to them not being fitted properly.

Last edited by Rednelly; 04-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Not enough space
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #33
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednelly View Post
After having my brake pads replaced on my 2009 e90 320d by a so-called "reputable" local garage 6 months ago, I had a "clicking" sound coming from the front brakes which grew louder as the brakes became warmer. The click came whenever the pedal was depressed and then a second click followed when the pedal was released. This was accompanied by a "squealing" which was worthy of an 18 wheeler! After having the pads replaced again 2 months ago by the same garage, the "clicking" came back and recently, the squealing started again. After taking it to a friend who is a truck mechanic, he spotted the problem immediately. The wrong pads had been fitted. Apparently there are three different pads for my car and there are subtle differences to the profile of the inner edge of the pad where it meets the caliper and carrier. As mine didn't quite "sit" correctly, whenever I braked, the caliper was being pulled upwards and dislodging which was causing the clicking sound. The second click was due to the retaining springs pulling it back into place on the carrier. Correct pads 1 hour later - Sorted!
The garage had fitted the wrong pads initially and then used them pads as a guide to replace them the second time believing that the click and squeal was due to them not being fitted properly.
such an easy fix for such a big annoyance. glad this thread got some peoples attention.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Banditeer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Wagon

Bit of a thread dredge but I'm thinking this is my problem as well (pads).

When I depress the brake pedal I get a slight knock which is heard (sounds like it's coming from the front right brake area.

Anyone know what it is, brake sensor? Brake pad slipping slightly, appears to be coming from the front right brake (pads aren't OEM).

In this video you hear the initial knock, then I take my foot on and off the brake at the lights (about 5 times), you hear the knock pretty much every time I do it.

It doesn't always do the knocking noise either, if you're super light on the brakes you usually won't hear it. Sometime even if you're heavy on the brakes it won't knock.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #35
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

From what I understand the OE pads do this as well. I have OE spec (not OEM however...) pads and they click too. I will get the wheels off one day and assess by hand but after researching my worries have been eased!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Lack of anti-squeal paste on the backsides of the brake pads? Usually what happens is there is a slight amount of play as the brake pads fit into the callipers and if you have applied brakes while reversing or even just from driving, the brake pads move in between this area of play and you get that knock sound as you apply brakes. The use of anti-squeal paste helps prevent the brake pads from moving around so easily.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #37
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Lack of anti-squeal paste on the backsides of the brake pads? Usually what happens is there is a slight amount of play as the brake pads fit into the callipers and if you have applied brakes while reversing or even just from driving, the brake pads move in between this area of play and you get that knock sound as you apply brakes. The use of anti-squeal paste helps prevent the brake pads from moving around so easily.
Logical suggestion but I smothered mine in the stuff and it's still happening.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #38
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895 View Post
Logical suggestion but I smothered mine in the stuff and it's still happening.
Have you had the suspension components checked for wear?

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #39
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Have you had the suspension components checked for wear?
I have not as of yet. I will at some point but the suspension makes no noise any other time which is why I suspect it to be brakes. Using non OEM pads has probably caused my issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #40
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895 View Post
I have not as of yet. I will at some point but the suspension makes no noise any other time which is why I suspect it to be brakes. Using non OEM pads has probably caused my issue.
Not saying that this is the case, but I was at my local BMW dealer some time ago and there was a rather angry customer at the parts department that was disputing an issue regarding brake pads that he had bought for his E90 LCI that were apparently not correct for his car. The mistake that I gather was made by him was that he asked for E90 323i brake pads, but neglected to indicate that it was the LCI model that apparently had slight larger brakes than the pre-facelift model and when they fitted the new pads there was too much play. The dealer did the work BTW, so his argument was that how come did they fit these parts and not notice that there was a problem. I don't know what happened in the end, but I can just imagine how unpleasant it must have been with these incorrect brake pads rattling around in the calliper like that. Lesson learnt by him no doubt, always use your car's last 7 digits of the VIN when ordering parts.

Appreciate 0