E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Transfer Case Fluid Replacement, does car need to be level?

06-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
AnotherJJJFoul96
Rep
Drives: bmw e90

Transfer Case Fluid Replacement, does car need to be level?

After getting a couple quotes from Indy mechanics trying to charge me upwards of $300 for a tf actuator and fluid replacement, I decided I’m just going to do it myself, as if only need to spend the $50 for the fluid.. I’ve gotten to it before to look at the actuator, but my only question is how important is it for the car to be level during this flush/replacement? Say if I use ramps for the front and the car was slanted would that be sufficient?
TY!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
I was swaping my tc actuator motor a year ago myself, I went on ramps then jacked it up from the rear diff to get it as level as possible.

The amount of fluid loss was minimal but I see you want to do a fluid swap too.
Id open fill plug, then open drain plug, lower the car (if any thing position car to favor the draining) When all is drained jack car up and then make sure you fill the correct amount of fluid. Then if you can reset you TC
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 09:19 AM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherJJJFoul96 View Post
After getting a couple quotes from Indy mechanics trying to charge me upwards of $300 for a tf actuator and fluid replacement, I decided I’m just going to do it myself, as if only need to spend the $50 for the fluid.. I’ve gotten to it before to look at the actuator, but my only question is how important is it for the car to be level during this flush/replacement? Say if I use ramps for the front and the car was slanted would that be sufficient?
TY!
It would be a good idea for it to be level when changing this fluid out.

Remember you must use the BMW transfer case fluid. It sucks because it's like $50.00 for a bottle!
Appreciate 0