E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lurker to Owner - 08 335xi E92 auto w/80k

12-18-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Slewis336
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Post Lurker to Owner - 08 335xi E92 auto w/80k

Just picked up an 08 e92 335xi auto w/ 80k miles. Fully loaded with everything except comfort access and dynamic steering. I Have been searching for almost 2 years to find a car I liked. This will be my daily driver and will be putting about 30k miles/year on it. Owner was an older gentleman (50) and was an enthusiast. Seems like he never pushed the car and maintained it pretty well through shops, although he did not seem extremely knowledgeable about the n54 platform.

It has a slight miss on the highway when in 6th gear and you roll on the throttle, once you roll into the throttle enough to get it to downshift into 5 or 4 it’s doesn’t miss much at all. I’m going to start with the simple things and have spark plugs and coils on order already.

I plan on keeping this pretty stock. The extent of my mods will be intakes, charge pipe, intercooler, downpipes, trans tune and engine tune. Would like to put some better suspension on it in the near future and some summer wheels w/ pss.

The PO has had a trans fluid change and front dif fluid change done at 60k. Water pump and brake fluid at 70k. That’s about the extent of receipts I have. He said he had an injector and coil replaced which didn’t make much sense to me because they should all be replaced, at least coils, at this stage in the game. I don’t think the shop he took it too knew too much about what they were doing.

He didn’t know about any of the recalls or what walnut blasting was but was a member of the local bmw group and even had a bmw plate. Car drives amazingly and feels extremely tight and everything is Prestine and working except for the miss. I think he just cadilac’d it because both exhaust tips are extremely clean

Items I’m concerned about are transfer case fluid, rear dif fluid, coolant and power steering fluid. Walnut blast is probably on that list also, curious to see what the plugs look like. Probably soon time for belt and tensioner. Already have (6) coils and plugs, JB4 w/ Bluetooth, DCI’s and oil change stuff on the way. Couple other small things like BMS oil valve that allows more oil to the cooler.

Thanks for reading my long winded, ramble essay. Very excited and already love the car.

If anyone has any suggestions on where to spend my hard earned money (maintenance/mods) please let me know.

Also, looking for someone to Walnut Blast in the south central PA (York-home) area or Baltimore county (hunt valley-work).

If you’re in the area also looking to meet people on the same platform.

Last edited by Slewis336; 12-18-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
ucdbiendog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

congrats, these are a blast to drive. Check the oil filter housing gaskets. can I ask what you paid for? looking to sell mine soon and trying to figure out what to ask. PM if you wish. Thanks and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #3
Slewis336
Rep

I paid $8500.

Just took it to BMW to get inspected today. They came back with everything ok except a small oil leak from the oil pan. They quoted about $1500 to do that. Any bandaids I can put on it now until I’m prepared to drop the subframe?

When I drop the subframe I’m going to want to tackle as many things as possible while it’s out. Sway bar bushings, install downpipes, front dif seals and fluid. Any other thoughts on what I should replace when the front subframe gets dropped?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
Slewis336
Rep

Did my plugs and coil packs tonight. Car drives much better with no misfires that I can tell. I took pictures of the plugs but unsure how to post them.

Have oil change supplies waiting for me. Should get to this tomorrow. JB4 and DCI’s should be here tomorrow. Have BMS cowl filters and oil cooler flow valve on order. RB PCV valve on order.

Placed a rather large order on FCP tonight for front brake rotors, pad and sensors. Also got a OFHG kit and power steering resivoir kit. New accessory belt kit also coming.

I ordered a mechatronic sleeve because I read about those going bad and it was only 7 bucks. Not sure how difficult it is to replace this.

Have yet to get under to see how bad this oil pan gasket leak is but I’m hoping I can bandaid it for a bit
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewis336 View Post
Did my plugs and coil packs tonight. Car drives much better with no misfires that I can tell. I took pictures of the plugs but unsure how to post them.

Have oil change supplies waiting for me. Should get to this tomorrow. JB4 and DCIís should be here tomorrow. Have BMS cowl filters and oil cooler flow valve on order. RB PCV valve on order.

Placed a rather large order on FCP tonight for front brake rotors, pad and sensors. Also got a OFHG kit and power steering resivoir kit. New accessory belt kit also coming.

I ordered a mechatronic sleeve because I read about those going bad and it was only 7 bucks. Not sure how difficult it is to replace this.

Have yet to get under to see how bad this oil pan gasket leak is but Iím hoping I can bandaid it for a bit
Its nice to see someone out there doing preventative maintenance like they should! I really hope your car treats you well, and should be a joy to own for years to come!
      12-21-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
Slewis336
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_E92 View Post
Its nice to see someone out there doing preventative maintenance like they should! I really hope your car treats you well, and should be a joy to own for years to come!
Thanks! I feel like thereís a fair amount of people who take car of these cars compared to most other cars on the road. I will be driving a lot so in 3 years this car will have 170k and I will probably offload it then or make it a track car.

Iím the kind of person that does stuff upfront that way I can enjoy it for the life that I own it. Why wait halfway through ownership to replace stuff, ya know?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #7
vb7200
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver 2007 335xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 335xi  [4.50]
1992 BMW 318i  [5.00]
I got my 07 335xi sedans not too long ago with similar options (No radar cruise, parking sensors, but has everything else) and mileage and paid exactly the same. The guy before me had breaks, front control arms, valve cover gasket, and tires done before I bought it.

They are beautiful cars, have amazing power and drive like nothing I've ever driven before. No other feeling like getting on an on-ramp and feeing the power.

Enjoy! I'm sure it won't let you down just take good care of her!
      04-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #8
Slewis336
Rep

Been working on the car a lot the last two weeks as itís been on jack stands and torn apart. More on that to follow. First, Hereís an update of the last 3 months.
BMS DCIís
VRSF CP w/ Tial BOV
MHD Pump BEF
XHP trans tune
Vac Lines
Boost solenoids
RB PCV

Drove the car like this for two months (January-Mid March) to shake it down. Daily driving with a bit of everything. So far so good. Raced my buddyís c63 AMG w/ headers and a tune. Was pretty close but he still had me. We hit about 160 Mph that run. I was about 3.5 gallons of e85 in the tank and maxing our my LPFP and heat soaking my IATís with stock intercooler on map 5. Was pretty happy with how the car was performing so mid March I took the car into the garage to begin to take the next step.

Put the car up on jack stands and did walnut blast, OFHG, OCHG, SERP belt, tension and (2) pulley. At this time I also installed VRSF stock location silicone inlets, VRSF Catless DPís, VRSF 7Ē FMIC, ECS catch can.

Iím not a big cosmetic guy but I put black kidney grills in. M-tech front lip and AG M359ís wrapped in Michelin PSS on it. Standing on KW V1 Suspension.

Having a little bit of trouble getting a secure connection on the rear turbo inlet so Iím currently waiting on t-bolt clamps instead of worn gear to see if that gets me a firmer fit.

Then itís time to button it back up and see how she does with rest of the FBO items and suspension.

Thatís pretty much it for mods that Iím thinking of.

Next up is get fresh brakes on it w/ new lines and fluid, transfer case and dif fluids.

After that Iím either looking into LPFP upgrades or meth...

Stay tuned to watch my wallet get even smaller
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #9
tlow98
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91

That last line tho lol

Sounds like a beast.
Appreciate 0