E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Paint Correction Before Winter?

10-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
abbVT24
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Paint Correction Before Winter?

I just picked up a used 2007 e90, with about 65k miles and two previous owners. I know it needs paint correction, but my dilemma is whether to do it now or wait until spring. Living in MD, it will definitely see its share of salty roads over the winter. That makes me think I should wait until spring to have it done. For all the pros and serious hobbyist detailers; what's your opinion on the better time to have it done?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbVT24 View Post
I just picked up a used 2007 e90, with about 65k miles and two previous owners. I know it needs paint correction, but my dilemma is whether to do it now or wait until spring. Living in MD, it will definitely see its share of salty roads over the winter. That makes me think I should wait until spring to have it done. For all the pros and serious hobbyist detailers; what's your opinion on the better time to have it done?
Do it now. It'll protect your car and your next bi-annual full detail will be easier.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
abbVT24
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Do it now. It'll protect your car and your next bi-annual full detail will be easier.
I did think about that. Where are you located in MD? I've never had a paint correction done, and want to make sure I find somebody reputable. I'm located in Columbia, so any shop or mobile place in a reasonable radius is an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is your car daily driven? Is it garage kept? If you're 100% on getting someone to do it, and not yourself, go with DJ Mayo. He's a professional detailer featured on Detailed Image. If you decide to call him, mention E90Post and Detailed Image.

Here's some of the work he's done, along with articles he's written.

Detailed Image - DJ Mayo

DJ Mayo
Gainesville, VA
Phone: 703-296-2449

Last edited by Royal Flush; 10-30-2011 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
abbVT24
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Flush View Post
Is your car daily driven? Is it garage kept? If you're 100% on getting someone to do it, and not yourself, go with DJ Mayo. He's a professional detailer featured on Detailed Image. If you decide to call him, mention E90Post and Detailed Image.

Here's some of the work he's done, along with articles he's written.

Detailed Image - DJ Mayo

DJ Mayo
Gainesville, VA
Phone: 703-296-2449
It's a daily driver, and it's kept outside in my driveway. I'll be washing it weekly as long as weather permits. I'll have to find a good place that will handwash, or a touchless for the winter. I will also apply wax or sealant by hand at regular intervals. I want the correction to get rid of swirls and scratches that the car already had when I bought it. I have no idea how the previous owners maintained it. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a daily driver, and it's kept outside in my driveway. I'll be washing it weekly as long as weather permits. I'll have to find a good place that will handwash, or a touchless for the winter. I will also apply wax or sealant by hand at regular intervals. I want the correction to get rid of swirls and scratches that the car already had when I bought it. I have no idea how the previous owners maintained it. Thanks for the info!
If it's not too much out of your way, or if you don't mind driving, you can meet up with DJ so he can assess what type of correction you need. He'll probably use a few different types of lights to see all of your defects and then quote you based on the steps he needs to do to achieve the type of correction you want. If you don't have time or don't want to drive that far just for a pre-inspection quote, just call him.

You could do what ceb said which is completely fine. Another option is to just use sealant to protect it throughout the winter season, and then just do the full detail in the spring.

In regards to your comment about applying wax or sealant at regular intervals, you'll probably want to go with a sealant for the winter months, if not all throughout the year. If you go with a wax, you'll more than likely have to re-apply it each month. Using a sealant will more that likely get you through the rest of the year if not through a month or so of next year.

P.S. - You said it's kept outside in your driveway. Do you have a garage you can put it in?

Last edited by Royal Flush; 10-30-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
abbVT24
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If it's not too much out of your way, or if you don't mind driving, you can meet up with DJ so he can access what type of correction you need. He'll probably use a few different types of lights to see all of your defects and then quote you based on the steps he needs to do to achieve the type of correction you want. If you don't have time or don't want to drive that far just for a pre-inspection quote, just call him.

You could do what ceb said which is completely fine. Another option is to just use sealant to protect it throughout the winter season, and then just do the full detail in the spring.

In regards to your comment about applying wax or sealant at regular intervals, you'll probably want to go with a sealant for the winter months, if not all throughout the year. If you go with a wax, you'll more than likely have to apply it each month. Using a sealant will more that likely get you through the rest of the year if not through a month or so of next year.

P.S. - You said it's kept outside in your driveway. Do you have a garage you can put it in?
Ha, you'll have to ask my wife the question about if I have a garage to keep the car in. There's only room for one car!

Keep the responses coming. I'm leaning a little bit towards having the correction done now, rather than spring.

Any other local detailer suggestions are also welcome. I know there are a few DC Metro area detailers on the boards here.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Royal Flush
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any other local detailer suggestions are also welcome. I know there are a few DC Metro area detailers on the boards here.
You can PM the local members below about detailing. They're not in any particular order.

Sniz
Raja_Ventureshield
shimshimhada

I think Sniz is in MD, and Raja and Shim are both in NoVA.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Quote:
You can PM the local members below about detailing. They're not in any particular order.

Sniz
Raja_Ventureshield
shimshimhada

I think Sniz is in MD, and Raja and Shim are both in NoVA.
Zaxjax is also a detailer in MD. He's right outside of Annapolis.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
SpeedFreak
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Rep
Drives: '88 Porsche 951

PM Sent, I can assist also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

hit up DJ, tell him Eric sent you as well. Got_leather

we will be in SEMA this week, but try to get on his schedule in two weeks!
Appreciate 0