E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Squeaky Boost Hose? and CEL P0401

06-30-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
UT335d
Rep
Drives: 11 335d

Squeaky Boost Hose? and CEL P0401

First of all, thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum, it's great to have access to the accumulated knowledge of this group.

This past Tuesday I changed my leaky red boost hose with the Forge hose. Everything went on pretty easily once I figured out how to remove the top part of the stock hose. After the install I drove 70 miles from my dad's garage to my apartment and averaged 38 mpg going 85 the whole way there

Thursday morning on my way to work I noticed a slight squeal coming from the engine bay under acceleration around 2k rpm on the freeway. I would assimilate the sound to the noise a balloon makes when you pinch the neck and slowly let the air out of it.

My immediate thought was that I hadn't tightened the clamps on my new boost hose enough and it was now leaking air under boost.

The noise doesn't start until 3rd gear and I've attempted to record while driving (apologies in advance for poor videography) and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

This morning (Friday) my check engine light came on showing P0401 for "EGR Flow Insufficient Detected" which made me less sure the noise I am hearing is related to the boost hose. The car is stock and I've seen some forum members mention the possibility of the EGR cooler clogging over time but haven't ever seen a thread or example of that happening.

Here's some quick info on my car that may or may not help: MY 2011, 77k miles, CBU cleaning done at 71k, Boost hose was replaced 140 miles ago, small turbo oil feed replaced 400 miles ago

Has anyone had a squeal like this before and if so, what did it turn out to be?

Does the EGR cooler being clogged sound like a realistic possibility?
Could these problems are related?

Here are my attempts at recording the noise during my lunch break today.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Nobody is playing a joke on you and there isn't a rubber chicken or something on your exhaust pipe, right?

That sounds like air escaping from a small space(like your balloon example). I would say there's something not sealed tightly on your boost hose, or it got a small hole in it, or something.

The EGR fault is maybe caused by you having a boost leak(at that hose). I'm not too sure on the EGR part of things. Give that hose a second look. It may not have been put on all the way, or may have a small leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Also depends on how much your stock hose was leaking boost. You may now have a much better connection and something else may be giving way. Certainly check your new boost hose, but please do not dismiss all the other connections all the way into the intake manifold. Should be misting oil where the leak is if you are stock and don't have a catch can.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

If you have a boost leak, you will get a little more smoke. Is the exhaust same before you started getting noise?
Appreciate 0