E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What's the best jack to buy?

04-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #23
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
with the costco jack, you don't need a jack adapter correct?? if so, I'm about to pick one up as soon as I get my predator ice angle eyes!
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #24
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
with the costco jack, you don't need a jack adapter correct?? if so, I'm about to pick one up as soon as I get my predator ice angle eyes!
I said this in another thread and thought I would copy it here as well to answer this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
The adapter is so that the load path of the car's weight to the ground is through a piece of solid metal, rather than a .08" thick shell of plastic..

There's a lot of things you can lift through, a cut up hockey puck, 1.25" stock, wood, whatever you want. The big thing is to lift through something solid with a healthy cross section vs. the thin plastic shell..

My $0.02

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #25
slyx620
Rep
Drives: Honda Prelude

Just to chime in on the Craftsmen jack . . . I've had the 1.5 ton form Sears for about 3 years now. It started leaking hydraulic during the second year. The jack was used about once every 2 months or so. Keep in mind this jack only has warranty for 90 days, not life-time.

When it did work, it was great. It had a low enough profile to barely fit under my lowered prelude.

I definite would not buy another craftsman jack!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #26
hewmanbing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyx620 View Post
Just to chime in on the Craftsmen jack . . . I've had the 1.5 ton form Sears for about 3 years now. It started leaking hydraulic during the second year. The jack was used about once every 2 months or so. Keep in mind this jack only has warranty for 90 days, not life-time.

When it did work, it was great. It had a low enough profile to barely fit under my lowered prelude.

I definite would not buy another craftsman jack!
I second this.. bought an aluminum craftsman jack and the cylinder leaked fluid all over my garage floor until eventually it wouldn't pump anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #27
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
I bought this in March 2008 -- and it sprang a leak this weekend while I was taking the winter tires off my daughter's Honda. Unfortunately while the car was up in the air but fortunately on stands.

I took it back to Costco yesterday, they refunded me the purchase price ($89.99 --- they've since raised the price) plus tax. It was past the one year Torin warranty period, so I would have been SOL were it not for Costco's return policy. Plus I would have needed to ship it to Torin at my cost.

I was going to get a Sears jack but reading the reviews they tend to spring leaks just out of the warranty period, too, and then tell you repair parts aren't available and to go pound sand.

I think I'm just going to order a new one, and if it fails in a year, return it to Costco again.
That was back in the Spring (I posted it on one of the other jack threads). So I just ordered another Torin jack from Costco.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #28
mase
Banned
Rep

any experience with this? http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Does it fit under the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
i just got the tire rack jack and stands for christmas
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #30
mase
Banned
Rep

kinda pricey though, no? the craftsman one I linked has 3ton jack, stands, and creeper.. is it any good?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #31
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

I got this one from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-67022.html

Was on sale for $79 when I got it and was the lowest profile they had, 2-7/8" compared to 3-1/8" of that blue racing one some others got. Lost about a ton for lifting limits, but didn't really matter. Have used it many times for my cars and zero problems. I wouldn't say my bimmer is slammed, but it is lowered and this jack does not fit under the front middle jacking point to jack the whole front half at once. I read this from one of the many post here about jacking lowered cars, so far from being my idea.....get ramps.

I bought these ramps from Harbor Frieght as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/magnum-...ock-67722.html

I drive up on that ramp and then jack the car up and lower it back on to jackstands. Even those ramps are too much of an angle as my front will just graze it and push them forward occasionally. So I also shore it up with a 1" thick plywood right before the ramp. Later I saw one of the Walmarts (one had it, other did not) had a similar car ramp that was lower and would probably work perfectly with no farther shoring. All I really needed to fit my jack under the car was a couple more inches and I could have just used wooden blocks to drive up on to get that clearance. If you really lowered your car, I don't think there is a low profile jack that will work without also using a ramp and if you have to use a ramp anyway, then you don't really need a low profile jack. Although I think my low profile jack just barely clears for lifting the rear after I drive the car forward up on that ramp.

I never had ramps before, always just jacked the car up. If the tires have to come off, then a jack is the only way to go, but there are lots of reason's for needing clearance to get under a car that does not require removing tires. The ramps are far easier, quicker and safer to use for those occasions.

Also get these and use em

http://www.harborfreight.com/solid-r...ock-96479.html

Last edited by Casca; 01-04-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0