E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help me build out a detail "kit" for a Jet Black BMW

09-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
bihstl
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335

Help me build out a detail "kit" for a Jet Black BMW

Looking to throw out all of my old detailing stuff, and get a new set of things for my new (to me) car. Just purchased a 2012 M3, Jet Black.... so all kinds of swirls and hazing, but not to horrible.

Looking for either a good kit to start with and then add items as needed to keep it easy for me.

Would like a good:
- Soap
- Polish (to work on removing swirls..)
- Wax
- Wheel Cleaner (Have been a big fan of Sonax)
- Interior (Big fan of Sonax Cockpit cleaner)
- Alacantra Cleaner (For Stearing Wheel)
- Leather Cleaner/Conditioner for Napa Leather
- Recommendations on pads for polishes and wax?
- Best towels?

What are your recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Here are some of my personal recommendations....

Wheels and Tires
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner - Great for heavy brake dust buildup!
EZ Detail Brush - a great tool to clean the barrels of your wheels! Pickup the large and mini brushes!
Wheel Woolies Kit - A great tool for cleaning wheel barrels, and other hard to reach places!
Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Tuf Shine Tire Brush
Opti-Bond Tire Gel - Water Based, so it helps nourish your rubber!

Washing:
2 Buckets & 2 Grit Guard (Package) - Essential equipment for safe washing!
Optimum Car Wash - A great maintenance shampoo.
Sheepskin Wash Mitt
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) - Rinseless Washing is a great way to quickly and safely clean your vehicle!

Bug & Tar:
CG Bug Bugger & Tar Remover
Stoner Tarminator - This tar remover will quickly and easily remove tar buildup

Drying:
Microfiber Waffle Weave Towel
Metro Master Blaster - The safest way to dry your car is to not touch it at all!
Master Blaster Sidekick - This small blower moves an amazing amount of air and is perfect for making sure you don't have any water left in cracks and crevices!

Decontamination:
CarPro Iron X
DI Fine Grade Clay
NanoSkin Glide (clay lubricant)

Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 (DAT)
Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (DAT)
Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500 (DAT)

Sealant:
Menzerna Power Lock Synthetic Polymer Sealant
Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Wax:
Chemical Guys Pete's '53 Black Pearl Signature Paste Wax
Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax - a truly premium show car wax that

Semi-Permanent Protective Coatings
22ple VX3 Signature Coating - A silica based coating that will provide great protection and maximum gloss! Very easy to apply.
CarPro CQuartz - another silica based coating option from CarPro.

Buffers:
Griot's Garage 3rd Gen DA Polisher - Affordable, Effective, Reliable, and most of all SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE! This product is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Backing Plates:
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I typically recommend Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, Black Finishing Pads, and Blue Fine Finishing Pads)

Glass:
Stoner's Invisible Glass

Metal
CG Metal Wax Polish and Protection

Microfiber
Quality microfiber is one of the best investments you can make. You must make sure that only the best products are touching the surface of your car so that you are not scratching or damaging the surface.
Black & Yellow Towel - Perfect for removing polishes, sealants, waxes, etc. Plush on one side and shorter nap on the other. My go to towel for most of the work I do!
Double Thick Edgeless Towel - Perfect for quick detailers, rinseless washing, and other tasks where plush towels are needed.
Black All Purpose Towel - A must have towel! The black color helps to hide any stains that may occur during use. I use these towels exclusively on wheels, exhaust tips, engine bays, and other dirtier areas.
Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent - Works great to clean your microfiber and help them maintain that "like new" softness.

Interior
303 Aerospace Protectant - Great UV Protection for vinyl & plastic surfaces such as dash, door panels, consoles, etc. Will leave a darker finish with a slight sheen.
Einzsett Cockpit Premium - Great UV protection that will leave a matte/oem finish without any shine
Sonax Leather Foam - Easy to use leather cleaner that will also lightly condition and protect your leather all in one step.
Soft Upholstery Brush - Use to agitate leather cleaner if deep cleaning is needed

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you've got any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
bihstl
Rep

Thank for for that information, extremely helpful!

Any recommendations on alacantra cleaner (steering wheel)?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Detailed Image

Would it be safe to use these products as a straight up beginner to correction? Also got a new to me Jet Black car and swirl city over here. Looking to start out very slowly and learn as I go.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bihstl View Post
Thank for for that information, extremely helpful!

Any recommendations on alacantra cleaner (steering wheel)?
Happy to help.

As far as alcantara goes, I typically refer to the manufacturer website's instructions.

Let me know if you've got any further questions.

Zach McGovern

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Detailed Image

Would it be safe to use these products as a straight up beginner to correction? Also got a new to me Jet Black car and swirl city over here. Looking to start out very slowly and learn as I go.
Yes, dual action polishers like the Griot's Garage Machine that I mentioned above are very safe... even in the hands of a total beginner!

Jet Black paint will really test the skills of a detailer because it tends to be softer, and therefore easy to remove defects, yet difficult to polish to a perfectly clear finish.

As a reference, here is an example of a jet black Mustang that needed extensive correction.

After heavy compounding, you can see that the defects have been removed, but the aggressive compound & pad left haziness (known as micro marring) all over the paint. So our goal of removing the defects was accomplished, but now we have to restore the color and clarity in the paint.

We used a medium polish to refine the surface and remove the majority of the marring that was visible after the heavy cutting. You will notice the color is much darker, and the paint is more reflective and will therefore look glossier. Many vehicle owners would be happy with this level of correction.

Using a finer polish, I was able to produce a perfectly clear finish with no detectable marring. A dramatic transformation from where we started.

Let me know if you've got any specific questions about product selection or processes!

Be sure to check out our Ask-A-Pro Blog and Detailing Guide for more great info on how to get started with paint correction and more advanced detailing.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
bihstl
Rep

Thanks for this info!

Btw I see you are in Peoria, do you do any details in the St. Louis area by chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this info!

Btw I see you are in Peoria, do you do any details in the St. Louis area by chance?
Happy to help!

I don't do any work in STL, though I am from the Chesterfield area and visit frequently as my wife and I still have a lot of family in the area.

If you need a detailer in St. Louis, check out Williams Auto Detail. The owner's name is Ralph Williams. He is a master at what he does... paint correction, coatings, interior, etc. He'll get you taken care of

Let him know I sent you.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #8
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Quote:
Thanks for this info!

Happy to help!

I don't do any work in STL, though I am from the Chesterfield area and visit frequently as my wife and I still have a lot of family in the area.

If you need a detailer in St. Louis, check out Williams Auto Detail. The owner's name is Ralph Williams. He is a master at what he does... paint correction, coatings, interior, etc. He'll get you taken care of

Let him know I sent you.

Zach McGovern
What does a full detail cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
That is impossible to answer as everyone has a different idea of what a "full detail" consists of.

For instance, most common detail shops will advertise a "full detail" for <$100... this job typically consists of a wash, wax, and interior cleaning. This type of service caters to the typical vehicle owner who just wants a clean car.

We pride ourselves on providing more elite services that are aimed at the true automotive enthusiast who is seeking an all together different detailing experience. Our mid-tier detail package consists of an intensive washing and decontamination process, followed by a complete paint correction process that can take days to complete, premium ceramic paint coating for protection, and basic interior cleaning. This starts at $700 for a smaller car.

Detailing is a very broad term that will mean completely different things to different people. The saying "you get what you pay for" is typically very true in the detailing world. An expert detailer who has mastered the art of paint correction & protection will charge appropriately for the very time intensive task. I'd recommend finding a detailer that fits your personal needs. If you are seeking a more elite service, I may know of someone in your area and would be happy to provide a recommendation if possible... just need to know where you are located.

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
That is impossible to answer as everyone has a different idea of what a "full detail" consists of.

For instance, most common detail shops will advertise a "full detail" for <$100... this job typically consists of a wash, wax, and interior cleaning. This type of service caters to the typical vehicle owner who just wants a clean car.

We pride ourselves on providing more elite services that are aimed at the true automotive enthusiast who is seeking an all together different detailing experience. Our mid-tier detail package consists of an intensive washing and decontamination process, followed by a complete paint correction process that can take days to complete, premium ceramic paint coating for protection, and basic interior cleaning. This starts at $700 for a smaller car.

Detailing is a very broad term that will mean completely different things to different people. The saying "you get what you pay for" is typically very true in the detailing world. An expert detailer who has mastered the art of paint correction & protection will charge appropriately for the very time intensive task. I'd recommend finding a detailer that fits your personal needs. If you are seeking a more elite service, I may know of someone in your area and would be happy to provide a recommendation if possible... just need to know where you are located.

Zach McGovern
I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #11
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Here is a black one we did a while back.

Take a look and see if your car looks a bit like this.

BMW M3 Comp Package New Car Prep

Revised List of products.
1Z einszett W99
Sonax Fall Out Remover
Adam’s All Purpose Cleaner
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Adam’s Undercarriage Spray
Uber Clay Bar Kit
Menzerna FG400
Menzerna Super Finish
Einszett Glanz
Adam’s Super VRT
Adam’s Metal Polish
Adam’s Glass Cleaner

Interior
1Z einszett Cockpit
Leather Master Soft Cleaner
Leather Master Vital Conditioner

Tools used
Uber Wool Wash Mitt
Uber No Name MF Towels
Rupes LHR21 ES
Uber Buffing Pads
Rupes Swirl Finder Light
Kranzle Pressure Washer
Uber Foam Gun
2 Grit Guard Buckets with Caddies
Uber Firehose Nozzle
Metro Air Force Blaster
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #12
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

I wanted to chip in my recommendations, many of which are in Zach's post but worth reiterating, and with some of my own notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Here are some of my personal recommendations....

Wheels and Tires
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner - Great for heavy brake dust buildup!
This stuff is amazing and eats away brake dust. You go through a lot though when using it correctly, and honestly a soapy, dedicated cloth works for maintenance.

Quote:
Washing:
2 Buckets & 2 Grit Guard (Package) - Essential equipment for safe washing!
Gotta have the buckets and grit guards. GG's fit in the Home Depot buckets though if you want to go local on those. I dedicate two buckets to washing and they never get used for home projects!

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II is my favorite maintenance wash soap. I've used the same gallon for years and it never lets me down, smells like cherries, and rinses clean.
Optimum No Rinse is great for the quick days if the build-up isn't too much - have a lot of good microfibers on hand!
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash is what I use if I need to strip wax and sealant for paint prep.

Wash Medium
Grout sponges, either these or from Lowes.

Quote:
DI's Waffle weaves are the best. I have four of them and rotate them so they don't wear out and stay effective. They hold immense amounts of water and I don't use anything else but these + the water sheeting method to dry my black cars.

Quote:
Epic stuff, looks great with black paintjobs.

Poorboys Natty Blue may have gone out of favor with the higher price than when I started using it, but as a topper to the Wet Diamond it leaves a wetter look.

Quote:
Also the best I've used, but just so you know Walmart sells it too. It's in the auto aisle but my wife has a can in each bathroom for the mirrors, too.

Quote:
Interior
303 Aerospace Protectant - Great UV Protection for vinyl & plastic surfaces such as dash, door panels, consoles, etc. Will leave a darker finish with a slight sheen.
I agree this works great for the plastic and vinyl.
For the leather surfaces, I use Lexol and have no complaints

Two "after shots" for you!

Last edited by Gig103; 10-03-2015 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: Photos
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #13
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

welcome to BMW owner's worst nightmare "JET BLACK"