E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Retrofit the automatic climate control panel?

12-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #23
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Short version

No it cant be done-

I bought a panel and now i can conclude

1) The "check" process when switching the ignition on sends the klima into kaos
It will begin to activate every motor and flap available to try to figure out wha the f* is wrong with the system.

This is even without switching the klima on..

2) After 5-7 minutes of crunching, the klima will stop the self test-
But as you activate the system, and begin to try the new functions out, you will realise that the functions are not in the correct settings

(front blowing sends air to feet / feet sends air to upper vents to cabin , not face and not window, but the one in the middle / there is no front window demist )

3) Activation of AIRCON now activates the compressor, but no chilled air comes into the cabin .. , you can tell by the temp, but also the smell of chilled klima air

----

After this "function test" is concluded, switching the vehicle off will provoke the self test program as the system trys to find "0" position,

And can continue up to 15 minutes, even with the key out and the car locked-

So.. no it doesnt work
Ive tried to reassign the klima buttons by autologic, and this made it worse

The system needs more motors and a different wiring loom
There is also a different fan housing , and small parts that need to be changed, plus the fitting of the "optional" chiller armrest and klima vents for the rear of the armrest

Also the mixer dial under the hazard switch

All in all , only a job for dedicated finatics

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

Thank you for making it crystal clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
Jerry8119
Jerry8119
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe/E39 525i

yeah. All we need just a double din bracket with manual control.........

02 525i
06 M coupe
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90370.50
      02-08-2012, 01:52 AM   #26
Hartge
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330d Sport

thanks for the write up, was tempted to do this myself but maybe not now
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #27
gn0rfa
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e90, e93

Did you recode your car also? Or just plug it in?

Or did you just plug it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
Short version

No it cant be done-

I bought a panel and now i can conclude

1) The "check" process when switching the ignition on sends the klima into kaos
It will begin to activate every motor and flap available to try to figure out wha the f* is wrong with the system.

This is even without switching the klima on..

2) After 5-7 minutes of crunching, the klima will stop the self test-
But as you activate the system, and begin to try the new functions out, you will realise that the functions are not in the correct settings

(front blowing sends air to feet / feet sends air to upper vents to cabin , not face and not window, but the one in the middle / there is no front window demist )

3) Activation of AIRCON now activates the compressor, but no chilled air comes into the cabin .. , you can tell by the temp, but also the smell of chilled klima air

----

After this "function test" is concluded, switching the vehicle off will provoke the self test program as the system trys to find "0" position,

And can continue up to 15 minutes, even with the key out and the car locked-

So.. no it doesnt work
Ive tried to reassign the klima buttons by autologic, and this made it worse

The system needs more motors and a different wiring loom
There is also a different fan housing , and small parts that need to be changed, plus the fitting of the "optional" chiller armrest and klima vents for the rear of the armrest

Also the mixer dial under the hazard switch

All in all , only a job for dedicated finatics
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #28
MalM3
4 pot warrior
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 318I

Garage List
2006 e90  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorfa View Post
Or did you just plug it in?
yep i tried to "program" it , but there isnt a retrofit for this option, so there is no programming available for this

I also mailed to autologic for the possibility to create a software for this, but they said the way it works makes it not possible to fit this in this way

updating the climate panel software wise did not help me

Been there, done that, wanna do it again
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
gn0rfa
Sweden
Rep
Drives: e90, e93

Ok, i see... CRAP..
I have read that someone posted that a canadian didi this install but i cannot find anything to confirm that it is true.

Good to know, then. I was thinking about retrofiting a navi into the car, and I guess it needs an automatic ac also.

/daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
yep i tried to "program" it , but there isnt a retrofit for this option, so there is no programming available for this

I also mailed to autologic for the possibility to create a software for this, but they said the way it works makes it not possible to fit this in this way

updating the climate panel software wise did not help me
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #30
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
A lot of you are interested in this for double din options. Two options:
1) there is a double din kit for manual (eBay?), but it relocated the climate control to top and HU to bottom. Not ideal but at least an option.
2) if you know someone that can do some easy fabrication, you can take the double din kit with the auto control, cut off the bottom, and combine it with the manual climate panel that's there now.

That's what I ended up doing in my Canadian 323i. My previous audio posts have pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #31
LEXiFiED
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 323i

retrofit auto climate control

I'm thinking the retrofit requires this part# 64 11 9181171 to get the auto climate control retrofitted. Can anyone confirm that this CLIMATE CONTROL HEATER A/C AIR BOX W/ FAN + REGULATOR is a plug and play?
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #32
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 330e Sport Pro

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimano View Post
Guys if change my auto-climate 2005 model with a 2006 model (with chrome rings), do I need a reprograming ? I have a problem with old one "defrosting window" button was not working so I decide to buy a 2006 climate (it's more nice)
I literally just did this as I wanted to give the tired interior a bit of a facelift. The only notable difference between the two auto panels is the black temp control knobs vs the silver ones on the newer model. The connectors are the same, the layout is the same, everything is identical... but once fitted, the a/c no longer works! The light comes on, the fans and blowers all work as they should, but I have no cold air coming through. Switch the panels back, the a/c works again. Anyone else come across this? Surely a swap this simple doesn't need coding? Any advice much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #33
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So... In case anyone else stumbles across this in years to come... I managed to code the new panel successfully and now it is all working as it should I used NCS Expert to read the IHK module code from the old unit, then swapped them over and wrote the code back to the new one.

Comparing the code in more detail with NCS Dummy, the differences were many - the new unit was from a 4-cyl diesel 1-series, and my car is 6-cyl petrol 3-series, they have different water pump and heater setups, and many different parameter settings, so many differences in fact that I'm surprised it worked at all!
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90370.50
      05-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #34
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadm View Post
So... In case anyone else stumbles across this in years to come... I managed to code the new panel successfully and now it is all working as it should I used NCS Expert to read the IHK module code from the old unit, then swapped them over and wrote the code back to the new one.

Comparing the code in more detail with NCS Dummy, the differences were many - the new unit was from a 4-cyl diesel 1-series, and my car is 6-cyl petrol 3-series, they have different water pump and heater setups, and many different parameter settings, so many differences in fact that I'm surprised it worked at all!

Amazing news!!! I just picked up an auto climate control for cheap, do you mind if I PM you for more details?

I have access to a person who is very familiar with advanced and retrofit coding, just need to get him the right instructions in case he hasn't done this specific retrofit before.

EXCITED!!
      06-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #35
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali-323i View Post

Amazing news!!! I just picked up an auto climate control for cheap, do you mind if I PM you for more details?

I have access to a person who is very familiar with advanced and retrofit coding, just need to get him the right instructions in case he hasn't done this specific retrofit before.

EXCITED!!
the panel conversion of chadm and shimano (auto-climate to auto-climate) has nothing with original TS question - manual climate to auto climate conversion
manual panell will not work correct because you do not have bunch of the parts
flap servos, solar sensor,additional ducts to rear etc to enable two zones
actually this is not so hardupgrade because e46 and e9x dashboard can be removed without big hassle
Ali-E90370.50
      06-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #36
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
Quote:

EXCITED!!
the panel conversion of chadm and shimano (auto-climate to auto-climate) has nothing with original TS question - manual climate to auto climate conversion
actually this is not so hardupgrade because e46 and e9x dashboard can be removed without big hassle
But wouldn't the missing hardware only be for new functionality? I don't care if I don't get new features, and am stuck with only fan speed, air flow, and temp etc, main reason to change is to get the form factor so I have more choice for a double din faceplate.

Don't really care if auto sensor doesn't work, rest doesn't work, dual zone doesn't work, etc...
      06-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #37
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
But wouldn't the missing hardware only be for new functionality? I don't care if I don't get new features, and am stuck with only fan speed, air flow, and temp etc, main reason to change is to get the form factor so I have more choice for a double din faceplate.

Don't really care if auto sensor doesn't work, rest doesn't work, dual zone doesn't work, etc...
what the problem with double-bin
i see kits for both
versions
      06-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #38
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:

what the problem with double-bin
i see kits for both
versions
If you see something like that for a standard double din unit, with the screen on top, let me know.

I've only seen one, and it positions the climate controls on top of the screen.
      06-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #39
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct - I just changed an auto control panel for an auto control panel with different coloured knobs. I'd be happy to advise on the re-programming regarding that, but going from manual to electronic control is likely to require altogether different programming. And as ptpending says - it would also require other hardware than just the control panel in order to work properly, if at all.
Appreciate 1
Ali-E90370.50
      07-10-2018, 11:26 PM   #40
Andrew99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Slammed E90

Quote:

Quote:

Hey can you post more details on this, does it work on e90
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 01:36 AM   #41
Mrbiggs96
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90

Quote:

Hi sorry to ask about this again but you are my only hope In finding out what coding I need to do, can you possibly help me with a guide of how to code one of these in, what do you mean you read the code from the old swapped and wrote to the new one I’m a bit of a noob
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #42
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
OK, it's a while since I did it, so I'll try my best to recall the process...

This should work fine with two units that are of equivalent type, just cosmetically different or from different cars / years. It's a non-destructive process, so your old unit will still work regardless, and the previous coding of the new unit that you will overwrite will be backed up in case you need to revert.

So in order to code it with relative ease, you need two working (electronically readable) units - your original one, and the new one that you are wanting to programme. First of all plug in your laptop to your OBD port and use NCS Expert to read the original IHKA module code and to create a trace (.trc) file. That will contain all of the configuration required to get your new one working. Name it appropriately and save it somewhere safe. You can view the contents of the file in a user-friendly interface using NCS Dummy. Then disconnect everything, turn the car off and install the new climate control panel.

Reconnect your laptop and use NCS Expert again, read the code from the new IHKA panel and again store the trace file safely. You can again use NCS Dummy to view the parameters of the new unit. This will give you clues about the donor vehicle from which it came, and comparing the two trace files you will likely see obvious differences in the configurations.

You then need to apply the original trace file from the old unit to the new one, which should overwrite the settings that don't work, with ones that do. NOTE: Be careful to update only the IHKA module, and not every module on the car as that will cause you major problems. The IHKA takes only a minute to update and I never bothered connecting a battery charger when I was doing mine. Once that is done, disconnect your laptop, shut the ignition off, start it up again and check if it is now fixed.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #43
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
Quote:
This should work fine with two units that are of equivalent type, just cosmetically different or from different cars / years.
Does this mean that your process described may not work if going from manual climate control to auto climate control?

What do you mean by "equivalent type"?
      06-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #44
Chadm
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Correct - as previously stated earlier on in this thread, changing the whole ventilation system to a different type (manual to auto or vice versa) cannot be done simply by changing the control panel and a bit of coding, as far as I am aware. Equivalent type means fundamentally the same unit in all but appearance. Or even the same in appearance if replacing like for like, due to a button being physically broken, for example.
Appreciate 0