E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > What about Oregon?

03-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

What about Oregon?

Please educate a southerner about the northwest region.
  • How is the city of Salem?
  • Standard of living? I'm coming from the great state of Texas where everything is bigger and relatively cheap for that matter.
  • Things to do for a 20-something year old business professional?
  • Population and ethnicity spread? (i am chinese) is there a decent chinatown?
  • I think i read somewhere there's no sales tax, but state income tax and property tax.
  • Car scene?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
ppaauull
Private
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister wiggles View Post
  • Standard of living? I'm coming from the great state of Texas where everything is bigger and relatively cheap for that matter.
  • I think i read somewhere there's no sales tax, but state income tax and property tax.
  • Car scene?
would strongly advise against salem.

non of it exist there.

considering moving or just unaware?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
mrCBR600
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90

Salem is not the greatest. Move to Portland if you can. Our China town is kinda on the outs, most have moved out to SE Portland and Beaverton. Both are a bit more of the Burbs. I am half Chinese and there is a good amount Asians in Portland, and Portland is fairly diverse... But that is subjective, as I would say Seattle has more diversity. I had a buddy move down to Texas, and has recently moved back up to Seattle, and his take on Texas is that housing is cheap, the laws are stupid, and there are a lot of black people and mexicans. Not being racist just his explanation. If you like the outdoors and don't mind the rain, Oregon is an awesome place to live. Al ot of options and most people here have an open mind.

No sales tax.

Car scene in Oregon is a bit weak, but depends on what club you want to roll. BMW club a bit under represented here. There is a big Honda following, but I think that is true to just about anywhere you go.

Any other questions feel free to PM me
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

my advice, dont come to the NorthWet
      03-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
NorthWet
...and that's not a typo
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking into relocating there for a job assignment. However the move is contingent on the company's offer. Essentially, i'd be quitting my current job to take on another one and move. Portland would be out of the question in that regard. I'd be making trips there to fly back home.

This information makes my decision a bit easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
  • Car scene?
Salem I dont live there but it IS the capitol and where most of our Jails, Mental wards, and Juvie offenders are (all those people get released in that city) something to keep in mind. its not a very nice place. It's embarrassing that it is our capitol. traffic pattern sux!

not much to do for people under 30's, lots of crime (see above)
pockets of nice areas and you pay for them.

haven't seen many Asians in Salem.. mostly Mexicans (Salem surrounded by farmlands)

However Oregon as a state.. has high Tax, (no sales tax, and you DO NOT get to pump your own gas

very little car scene.. even in Portland.. unless you have a Civic or VW jetta
it rains ALLOT!!! almost as much as Seattle..

HOWEVER you are close to the Coast, and mountains, makes for GREAT Drives, 1/2 the # of state police as WA state

Lots of asians around Portland and Beaverton Russians are on the rise too..
Blacks in NE, mexicans everywhere, Lake Oswego/ West Lynn is generally considered more affluent higher income areas. the Portland state university is down town also, (many many asians there)

Portland has a WAYYY to liberal social services vibe (it's the top destination of the "homeless" (2 beggars on every corner) welfare, HIGH un-employment,

I don't know much more about Salem, I guess you could talk to a Salem resident?

keep in mind this is coming from a born and raised 38 years in portland/ lake oswego/ burbs guy.. (i avoid down town like the plague)
      03-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
mister wiggles
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18 View Post
Salem I dont live there but it IS the capitol and where most of our Jails, Mental wards, and Juvie offenders are (all those people get released in that city) something to keep in mind. its not a very nice place. It's embarrassing that it is our capitol. traffic pattern sux!

not much to do for people under 30's, lots of crime (see above)
pockets of nice areas and you pay for them.

haven't seen many Asians in Salem.. mostly Mexicans (Salem surrounded by farmlands)

However Oregon as a state.. has high Tax, (no sales tax, and you DO NOT get to pump your own gas

very little car scene.. even in Portland.. unless you have a Civic or VW jetta
it rains ALLOT!!! almost as much as Seattle..

HOWEVER you are close to the Coast, and mountains, makes for GREAT Drives, 1/2 the # of state police as WA state

Lots of asians around Portland and Beaverton Russians are on the rise too..
Blacks in NE, mexicans everywhere, Lake Oswego/ West Lynn is generally considered more affluent higher income areas. the Portland state university is down town also, (many many asians there)

Portland has a WAYYY to liberal social services vibe (it's the top destination of the "homeless" (2 beggars on every corner) welfare, HIGH un-employment,

I don't know much more about Salem, I guess you could talk to a Salem resident?

keep in mind this is coming from a born and raised 38 years in portland/ lake oswego/ burbs guy.. (i avoid down town like the plague)
Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I googled and search the internet for my questions before coming here to post (which i am thankful i did). The Salem.gov website shows the city like a beautiful resort!

After some consideration and knowing my pay rate from the company, i decided not to move there and stay put here in Houston. If i hadn't already been employed, i'm pretty confident i would have already moved and have had the experience of getting to know the city/state 1st hand.

Again, thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I googled and search the internet for my questions before coming here to post (which i am thankful i did). The Salem.gov website shows the city like a beautiful resort!

After some consideration and knowing my pay rate from the company, i decided not to move there and stay put here in Houston. If i hadn't already been employed, i'm pretty confident i would have already moved and have had the experience of getting to know the city/state 1st hand.

Again, thanks for your input!
we recently had a native texan relative move BACK to Texas.. they like the Weather MUCH more.. and you get ALLOT more for your money, much better consumer protection laws, and of course.. everything is bigger..

lower cost of living..

of course the salem web site is a TOURIST site.
good luck with your choise if i could stand the hot weather i also would proly hit up TX!
      03-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
MOTHRA
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT SpaceGrau

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Especially if you are looking for all things Chinese, Portland. I will say this, I would rather live in Portland than Texas, the state govt here is f'ed up but the scenery is beautiful. No sales tax also. There is a good amount of asian inspired clubs and bars that are actually filled with asians.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 02:51 AM   #11
993 911
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z3M, F31, G07

Oregon is one of the best states in the country to visit. Living here sucks.
Appreciate 0