E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help with installing BMW Performace Suspension Kit

09-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #23
chuckc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenu8187 View Post
I am dying to see what you guys think of the BMW perf susp. I've been contemplating it myself

Did I read right at 400 for install?
+1 Looking forward to the reviews
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #24
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I'm planning a Wednesday or Thursday morning install at minicorsa myself!

Getting mine installed in the AM. Hopefully no extra parts.

My one issue where in getting this installed is that the guy flys through his work. Hoping he doesn't tighten everything with it on the lift and then the car is crooked or causing weird handling issues. It happens. Remember to tighten with the full weight of the car on the ground!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #25
awu
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i w/ PPK

Just had mine installed today! But I had 2 extra thick rubber tube things with a slit down the middle left over. Anyone know what they are and also have the extra parts post-install? I ordered the kit from getbmwparts.com.

Car is a '11 335i ZSP E90
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by awu View Post
Just had mine installed today! But I had 2 extra thick rubber tube things with a slit down the middle left over. Anyone know what they are and also have the extra parts post-install? I ordered the kit from getbmwparts.com.

How does the handling and ride feel?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
awu
Rep

Pretty good. Corners feel much more controlled. Since this is my DD, I only have the opportunity to PUSH it when I'm doing freeway on-ramps. In those cases, there's much less body roll. On straightaways, feels solid and there's a LOT less bounce when roads are up down up down. The car feels more planted to the road and you don't get the sensation of floating nearly as much.

On local roads, bumps and potholes are a little bit harsher. Also, since the nose is now lower, you have to be more careful on speed bumps and curbs. In terms of priorities, I'd say going from stock Potenzas to Michelin PSS's was more important than going from ZSP to Performance Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #28
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pretty good. Corners feel much more controlled. Since this is my DD, I only have the opportunity to PUSH it when I'm doing freeway on-ramps. In those cases, there's much less body roll. On straightaways, feels solid and there's a LOT less bounce when roads are up down up down. The car feels more planted to the road and you don't get the sensation of floating nearly as much.

On local roads, bumps and potholes are a little bit harsher. Also, since the nose is now lower, you have to be more careful on speed bumps and curbs. In terms of priorities, I'd say going from stock Potenzas to Michelin PSS's was more important than going from ZSP to Performance Suspension.
Thank you! I'm planning to get some PSS's next week.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #29
chuckc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

That's good to know. I have a 335IS with PSS's. Unfortunately, the stock suspension is way off the mark and I am glad the performance suspension makes a big difference. I am considering the performance suspension, GC or KW street comfort. There are certainly a lot of options out there that are a big improvement over the ZSP.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #30
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:

I had mine installed on Monday, and also got the same spare parts.
If you looked at the anti-sway bar, it already has the same 2 bushings attached,
so I guess the extra parts were just an-oversight from BMW.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #31
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

+1..

Mine was done on Monday, and I went from a standard suspension to the Perf Susp , so it was night and day for me. My initial feedback was the same as above.

But today, I am back to my normal Topanga Caynon commute and it was great, I feel like I can keep speeding up thru the corners. I certainly feel much more of the road, it is just right not too harsh.

I think BMW should ONLY sell the 335d with this Perf. Susp. since the car is heavier than its gasoline counterpart, it needs firmer suspension. With the normal suspension the 335d really suffers from body rolls and floats. My $24K Jetta TDI hugs corners better than the standard suspension 335d.

I also notice breaking is much better now, very sure footed.

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #32
chuckc
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny View Post
+1..

Mine was done on Monday, and I went from a standard suspension to the Perf Susp , so it was night and day for me. My initial feedback was the same as above.

But today, I am back to my normal Topanga Caynon commute and it was great, I feel like I can keep speeding up thru the corners. I certainly feel much more of the road, it is just right not too harsh.

I think BMW should ONLY sell the 335d with this Perf. Susp. since the car is heavier than its gasoline counterpart, it needs firmer suspension. With the normal suspension the 335d really suffers from body rolls and floats. My $24K Jetta TDI hugs corners better than the standard suspension 335d.

I also notice breaking is much better now, very sure footed.

Sonny
Were you happy with the work minicorsa did and was alignment also required?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #33
awu
Rep

So just another note on installation / alignment. I had my installation done by a very good indy, but my alignment done by the dealer. The specs for the Performance Suspension are different than the sport suspension or the regular suspension. So, if you take it in, make sure you let them know that this is the PS. My SA did some research and also had the guy who usu works on the M3/M5/M6 suspensions do my PS. Had to wait an extra hour for the him to show up, but well worth it. Drove around in an F30 328 loaner in the meantime, which wasn't bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #34
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So just another note on installation / alignment. I had my installation done by a very good indy, but my alignment done by the dealer. The specs for the Performance Suspension are different than the sport suspension or the regular suspension. So, if you take it in, make sure you let them know that this is the PS. My SA did some research and also had the guy who usu works on the M3/M5/M6 suspensions do my PS. Had to wait an extra hour for the him to show up, but well worth it. Drove around in an F30 328 loaner in the meantime, which wasn't bad.
What are the alignment differences?

Last edited by jjellyneck; 09-26-2013 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckc View Post
Were you happy with the work minicorsa did and was alignment also required?
Yes... minicorsa is great.

I asked Danny if alignment is needed, and he said to let the new shocks settle for couple weeks then do the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #36
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The car still drives straight with the new PS, so I am not sure why re-alignment is needed.
Anyway, what did the dealer charge you for the alignment? I will wait couple weeks for the new shocks to settle down then take it in for a re-alignment. How about independent alignment shops, would they know what to do with the PS set up?

Sonny
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #37
awu
Rep

I negotiated down to $159. They told me that with the way their alignment machines work nowadays, waiting for the suspension to "settle" is no longer needed.

My camber was off on both front wheels, and that was the thing that was off the most. I think they dial in more negative camber for the PS than the regular or sport suspensions, but I'll have to compare the two alignment sheets. Toe was a little off too. The L/R camber was not balanced between the two front wheels.

I'm pretty sure it's best practice to always do alignment after installing a new suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #38
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I negotiated down to $159. They told me that with the way their alignment machines work nowadays, waiting for the suspension to "settle" is no longer needed.

My camber was off on both front wheels, and that was the thing that was off the most. I think they dial in more negative camber for the PS than the regular or sport suspensions, but I'll have to compare the two alignment sheets. Toe was a little off too. The L/R camber was not balanced between the two front wheels.

I'm pretty sure it's best practice to always do alignment after installing a new suspension setup.
$159 is not too bad... I will have it done in my next oil change in 2K more miles

The Firestone Tire place already charged $90 for my Toyota pickup truck
whereas it was only $70 for my VW Jetta, go figure... all alignments should be the
same, they do the same amount of work, am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #39
awu
Rep

I think the biggest swing factors are:

1. Do they have access to BMW recommended specs (since this is my DD, I felt more comfortable running OEM specs)

2. How well does the shop maintain their machines. I'm pretty sure the dealer keeps their alignment machine calibrated, and I would hope they have as high quality if not better machines than your local tire shop
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Did the PS kit take away some of the rear end squat on acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #41
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anybody know the spring rates for the PS kit?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
jjellyneck
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Anybody know the spring rates for the PS kit?
Yes....it is on the sticky at the top of this general Suspension forum. Look for the Spring Rate sticky. Good info there.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #43
chuckc
Enlisted Member
Rep

This has been a very good thread. Can those that have put the Performance suspension in post pictures? I want to keep the ride height as close to stock as I can on my 335is. BMW literature talks about a drop even compared to the standard sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #44
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjellyneck View Post
Yes....it is on the sticky at the top of this general Suspension forum. Look for the Spring Rate sticky. Good info there.
Thanks,
e90/e92 BMW Performance (Calculated given that the material of this spring is the same as the ZSP springs)
Front: 195 lb/in
Rear: 505 lb/in

Anybody know if the springs are progressive or linear rate?
Appreciate 0