E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > E93 N55 Fuel Rail pressure sensor fail

02-12-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
Dillyyo
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93 N55 LCI

E93 N55 Fuel Rail pressure sensor fail

This might not be the most appropriate section for this post, but it's technical and I thought it still fell into the realm.

For the past year I have had a sporadic condition where if I let my car running idle parked for lengths of time, i.e., 30min, 45min, etc., I would get an "Engine Malfunction...." warning, with the subsequent timing pulled, rough idle, misfires, etc.. When I would scan the car I would get various codes related to misfires, injector deactivation, exhaust gas combustion, but I would also get a fuel rail high pressure sensor stuck. Clearing the codes would not resolve, but letting the car sit for a little bit would inevitably resolve it. Sometimes even just driving it would work. Then all was normal for months or until whenever I would sit and idle for long periods of time. No other behavior induced these results.

Today on a colder morning and driving to get coffee, my car throws engine malfunction warning and shows all the tell tale signs. I proceed to get coffee and drive home to let the car sit while I worked. Car starts right up, does not sputter and never has. Unfortunately the problem is not going away, but on scans (have done several) I am not getting the high pressure rail sensor code. It's not there and the car will not resolve itself.

It seems the likely culprit since it was always related before with this behavior and now it gone when it cannot be resolved. Less than 100 for a new one and relatively easy to replace.

Has anyone had one of these sensors fail and what was the result? FCP says in the description that in extreme cases it can put your car into limp mode. Curious to any other experiences since it's the easiest before I start digging into other fuel delivery issues, ignition, etc. Just less likely those systems fail out of the blue than something that was already showing problems for the past year.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 05:03 AM   #2
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

I recently replaced the HPFP, LPFP and LPFP regulator in my car. The only part we didn't replace was the rail pressure sensor. Of course on the way home I got codes 2BF8 and 2C01 relating to the sensor and the car went into limp mode so I now need to replace that also! I have bought a Bosch 0 261 545 071 part to replace the sensor 13537620946 that RealOEM shows for my car.

The codes and limp mode haven't returned since I cleared the codes and reset adaptions, but the car has been giving vibration at idle and seems to sometimes be confused at very light part throttle. I really hope the replacement part brings it back to full health!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
Gemini562
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

replace the sensor, also have you checked all the connections and wiring to make sure there isn't an intermittent fault there?
Appreciate 0