E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Waterpump constantly runs with ignition on?

02-25-2024, 05:24 PM   #1
Adventurer802
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i xdrive M-Sport

Waterpump constantly runs with ignition on?

Hello, my water pump would run constantly with ignition on & drain my battery. One day I started the car & no longer heard the pump running, took very short drive and got engine overheating on idrive so i parked it at home.

Hearing about how common these electric pumps fail, I ordered a new all aluminum Pierburg pump & Behr Thermostat. Paid reputable shop to install it and the car no longer overheated. verified pump squirting into coolant reservoir. Car seems to run fine but its overcooling , & heater takes forever to warm up, assuming the pump is not getting proper communication to ecu & causing it to do this.

My issue is, I still get water pump communication faults on my scanner after multiple times trying to clear faults they always come back. along with engine taking forever to warm up, the waterpump also still constantly runs when the cars unlocked until it kills my brand new battery.

Possible solutions:

If it was a fuse wouldn't it not power on at all?

A new pump connector was installed at shop because the old one had liquid in it and was melted

ground wire was slightly exposed and wet so i dried it best i could and taped it up , seems tight, might try replacing the bolt & torque to spec.

Tried unplugging bsd components such as ibs and alternator , cleared codes , all 4 faults still come back, so thinking oil level sensor or pump still?

Anyone have tips? I cant read my oil level on idrive & worried about engine not running at proper operating temp. along with pump dieing prematurely / killing my battery.

What could be causing this failure of communication to waterpump?

Thank you all

378f, 3446, 38a4, 3847
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2024, 01:23 AM   #2
Raghza
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N55 DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Google "N55 diagnostic fault codes" and click on the first result:
https://www.google.com/search?client...opi%3D89978449

Then look for those 4 fault codes and try to find out if there could be something common for all those 4 codes.
Appreciate 0