E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Low boost question and a couple others

08-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Low boost question and a couple others

I tried to see if my turbo switchover valve was functioning correctly to start maybe diagnosing a low boost issue related to vacuum this morning, when I noticed that it didn't move whatsoever. Now I did have a problem a couple months ago where the 335d was going into limp mode because of a different low boost issue, but after replacing all the vacuum lines and the vacuum reservoir(this wasn't necessary at first but as many here know the vacuum line nipples get very brittle) the problem was solved. Well in between that and now I did my emissions tuneup, oil change and a transmission flush. Well now like I said it doesn't move, so what are rhe steps I should take to fix this? Do the pressure converter plugs need to plug into a specific one or can the two plugs be mixed up with no issues? Also does it matter if I have the EGT #2 plug connected to the EGT #1 sensor? I imagine this one would matter...

I was reading a thread this morning which said the diagram was wrong and I forgot what else they said and im tired of looking for it lol. Is this diagram correct or no? I remember them saying the vacuum source needs to go to the 180 degree port and the mounts connect to the 90 degree port. Which if im not mistaken is the opposite of this diagram?

Last edited by fearitself165; 08-17-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #2
CRJ68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

So for your EL electric valve. (the one buried under everything at the back of the engine...mounted to that plate)

The line coming all the way from the front of the engine #3 in your pic goes just like it sows there. On the nipple sticking out sideways the picture is correct as far as that part goes.

Last edited by CRJ68; 08-17-2021 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
CRJ68
Enlisted Member
Rep

On the pressure converters the line that operates the actuator is goes to nipple marked with a blue or yellow dot. Should be the one on the outside (closest to fender)

I mixed mine up on the Electric valve also, last week when replacing lines and had same issue as you. this is a good video if you get totally lost....
And yeah you need to have all electric connections going to the right place...as they all do specific functions

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #4
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Ok so this could be something as simple as the pressure converter plugs being mixed up? How do I know when I have everything correct? And I do appreciate the response and the video Link! I'm probably going to have to just take the rear engine cover off and check every vacuum line and sensor plug to make sure I have everything in correct.

If you have done the deletes, is there any way to remove the unnecessary plugs without cutting them out or destroying them? Lol.. I had everything tied up but during the catback install and transmission flush some of the unused plugs are dangling towards the ground.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
CRJ68
Enlisted Member
Rep

In the video he shows where each line goes. As far as the electric plugs the only 2 you could get mixed up is the ones on the converters. Not sure if they are labeled or not but I can look at mine later and let you know if there's a way to determine which one goes where.

Actually- if you have the electronic valve correct now. start the car, and the arm for the changeover valve should pull up to closed. if you unplug the side line to the electronic valve, (releasing vacuum)the arm will release to rest position. If that doesn't happen, maybe you got the converter wires crossed.

I didn't need to remove rear cover on mine to get to everything.

My car is all stock, no deletes, so I can't help you there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

I played with the arm a little and I noticed that when I started it after it was holding a little bit of vacuum.. I could hear it releasing when I turned off the car. But now after starting a couple more times I think its back to how it used to be. is this a leak from the actuator itself? It was definitely sounding like a balloon slowly releasing air when I turned off the car. Also its not supposed to release right away is it? I'm thinking one of the pressure converters is not working correctly or the vacuum controller.

I did notice I had the wrong EGT sensor in my downpipe because I read EGT #1 wire is a little longer. So I switched that out. I also switched the plugs to the converters and im gonna switch them back around and see what happens.

As far as diagnosing any further issues, should I just buy 2 new pressure converters from ebay for $20 each? Or should I invest $30 in a Mityvac tool so I can check the whole vacuum system?

Also I did check the lines again im 99% sure they're all going to the correct spots. But I did unplug the vacuum controller and plugged it back in as well when it was working for a while. I do have an extra one of these as well, the one that was being used for the EGR. Im planning on replacing this one with the current one.

EDIT: Lastly I've been thinking about the MAF possibly needing to be cleaned or replaced? I notice the date on it says 2014 so its pretty damn old. Should I do a smoke test from the air scoops and see if I notice any smoke coming out through the air intake?

I want to invest in a scan tool as well but I just moved into a new apartment and I don't know if I can justify the $130-180 dollars right now if I don't need it.

Last edited by fearitself165; 08-19-2021 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #7
maryjane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport 3 Snail.

Def get a mity vac.....it will tell you all you need to know about your vac system. You can use it to see if the changeover holds vac.....can tell if pressure converters have vac....its a VERY necessary tool for these cars. Also make sure you have enough line to run into the car or at least strap to windshield. The clear tubing that comes with it wont stand up to heat very well. ANd get a few splices and tees for testing. PM me for tele number i can walk you through some of the tests.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #8
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Def get a mity vac.....it will tell you all you need to know about your vac system. You can use it to see if the changeover holds vac.....can tell if pressure converters have vac....its a VERY necessary tool for these cars. Also make sure you have enough line to run into the car or at least strap to windshield. The clear tubing that comes with it wont stand up to heat very well. ANd get a few splices and tees for testing. PM me for tele number i can walk you through some of the tests.
Glad to hear it im excited to buy it considering how inexpensive yet important it is!
Appreciate 0