E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > new to BMW computers

04-16-2023, 01:24 PM   #1
jkline398
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

new to BMW computers

Hey everyone. I have never had a car that was this level on the computer stuff, these cars are literally computers with a car built around them to haul them around. And BMW seems to say "good luck" for the most part lol from all of the dealer- induced problems I read about.

So I have a 2010 335i N54 with misfire cyl 1 and 3, I replaced spark plugs with Bosch oem, and swapping coil 1/2 the misfire stayed with 1, but new coils arrive in a couple weeks anyway. Also the temp gauge on dash is not moving when car is running, and it runs great from cold start until coolant is at op temp, then the misfire starts. I replaced the injector decouplers and tip seals correctly using pen cap on all 6 (all are index 7) . There was nothing on injectors they were a bit black on tip but carbon rubbed off clean.

I am really thinking the car needs to be reset to factory/coding reset to factory, I find wires by the gas pedal indicating PO may have tried to tune it.

I currently have BMW standard tools (Inpa, ncs expert) on a new laptop but ISTA says GLOBAL corrupt and won't install. In inpa, injector 1 and 3 numbers are off and I tried loading them correct but it was not staying. I think the $20 amazon kdcan cable was to blame so I have a bimmergeeks cable here next week and I plan to use protools from here out instead of ista/inpa. I am also buying 3 index 4 Injectors from a salvage yard out of a running rear end totalled 335i next week.

I would appreciate all the help I can get!

Last edited by jkline398; 04-20-2023 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:08 PM   #2
KROOKEDking420
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 coupe

Ur car might have the msd80 and thenmisfets could be shot...id check to see what ecu u have if its msd81 ur all set but if ur havin misfire issues after replacing coils plugs and injectors then its probably the mosfets on the msd80...they have places u can ship the ecu to them and theyll resolder the mosfets and send it back to u via mail or maybe theres a local shop close by that offers that service...just look for ur ECU location and check which one u have and go from there....where are u located anyways???good luck man hope this HELPS
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 05:29 PM   #3
jkline398
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i

Thanks for the quick response! I have an MSD81 so I'm glad you mention that. I had thought these were all MSD80.

I have coils arriving today/tomorrow and will install. Last night I got Protool running with diagnostic license and their Pro cable. I couldn't do much but i did confirm injector codes and they are all correct, I then reset adaptations with engine off. Then I got into the sevice menu (Lock Off) and got the voltage reading and it was from 13.4-14.2 while running and it showed me the coolant temp as well. I drove around the block for the first time without surging and misfiring like crazy, but back in driveway it was still misfiring but not with the shaking it had before and the dash temp gauge had worked its way to mid point! It's possible I wasnt letting it run long enough for temp gauge to creep up as I was turning it off when it started shaking bad, but the ability to stay running without that shaking is a plus!

Edit: I also topped off the trans fluid, it took about half a liter bottle of the pentosin/good stuff it calls for.

I'll update after I get coils replaced, but I am really thinking now this could all be software. Could it be worth it in future to JB4 it now if those wires by gas pedal were to a JB4 previously? I'm not interested in tuning, but it would be interesting if it ran right with tuner installed? I put the red wire clamp on there so wasn't exposed live wire hanging.

Last edited by jkline398; 04-20-2023 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Tuner/wires images
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

FYI
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References, 220216 Revision-1.pdf (232.4 KB, 24 views)
Appreciate 0