E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Halliwell Jones Chester: an account of my visit today

11-02-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Halliwell Jones Chester: an account of my visit today

Thought I'd write a short but concise run down of my visit there today.
I own and run an independent garage, and Chester is my closest BMW dealership. From whom we purchase BMW genuine parts as required. My garage is multimake so not all BMW's.

Anyway this morning I was in Chester for another reason so opted to collect parts rather than wait until midday Monday for trade van delivery. Meaning that the E46 in pieces may get finished sooner.

While there I drifted through to service to ask about software updates on my E91 Lci. I have already carried out the bulk of updates using the Autel Ms908 pro which is one of the tools I have at work.
The Autel however doesn't cover CIC updates and I particularly want the improved menu in idrive for altering the adaptive headlight settings and I also need to update the nav software to remove the bug preventing USB map updates.

Service representive immediately is stumped by my request to discuss software updates, takes my key and goes to get the workshop foreman who returns saying 'it can't be done, you can't update your car to include things it doesn't have'.

This before he's even read the key info, or even asked me any basic information about what car I own.
He then launches into a pre disclaimer about how the software will render other (non factory) equipment useless. Etc etc.
After some quite difficult discussions with the very man I'd expect to know everything about software updates I manage to convey that yes I have added the original BMW swivelling towbar and the mirrors have been altered to power folding, but that these modifications are currently coded in the vehicle and the VO is updated to reflect these changes.

Now we get somewhere and I'm told it can be done etc etc.

I dread to think how they go about diagnosing faults with absolute failure to collect any relevant information first.

Ps. I have bought a K/D can lead and software but I have yet to experiment with it. Couldn't get the software to work on attempt one and I've been too busy replacing timing chains to try again.
Appreciate 0