E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N53 n54 injectors

05-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #45
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Yes I can. Fitted some weeks ago (index 12 N54 injectors in an N53 engine) and all good.
Do they sound different at all Phil? Or any difference in power delivery? Or literally no difference? Glad its worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #46
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Do they sound different at all Phil? Or any difference in power delivery? Or literally no difference? Glad its worked out.
TBH no. Same sound, same feel. I did wonder if they felt a bit spicier at WOT, but it could be my imagination. Since the ECU tells the injectors precisely how much fuel each cylinder needs, the fact that the injector is capable of delivering more (when fitted to an N54) is irrelevant I guess...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #47
PN58YWD
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i N53

Quote:
Ask your indy not only to code the injectors, but clear all adaptations.
Any idea what the going rate for that sort of thing would be?

I presume the car is completely undrivable until they're coded in? Or could I limp to the Indy provided it's nearby after fitting them myself?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:30 AM   #48
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PN58YWD View Post

I presume the car is completely undrivable until they're coded in? Or could I limp to the Indy provided it's nearby after fitting them myself?
The re-coding should be a half hour labour max. If you're asking an indy to do just the re-coding, make sure you note the individual injector values as you fit them. Yes the car will drive without coding, though it might be a bit rough to start with, as the car adapts to the new injectors.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:31 AM   #49
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PN58YWD View Post

It is about 5 minutes of work for someone that knows what they are doing to be honest. The car will drive if you change them yourself.

Just FYI - you do need to drive in a certain way immediately after the adaptions have been cleared to help the re learning process. It depends if the indy includes this in the time taken to clear them or not. You can get most of the way there to re learning the adaptions after an hour.

As I said in the other thread I reccomend doing this and addressing any other faults before you take the plunge on a new set of injectors anyway, as it can sort some rough running and cold start wobble but a bit tricky if you don't have the software (which isn't expensive to buy either, about £25 for a cable). Depends how involved you want to get.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 02:42 AM   #50
PN58YWD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
It is about 5 minutes of work for someone that knows what they are doing to be honest. The car will drive if you change them yourself.

Just FYI - you do need to drive in a certain way immediately after the adaptions have been cleared to help the re learning process. It depends if the indy includes this in the time taken to clear them or not. You can get most of the way there to re learning the adaptions after an hour.

As I said in the other thread I reccomend doing this and addressing any other faults before you take the plunge on a new set of injectors anyway, as it can sort some rough running and cold start wobble but a bit tricky if you don't have the software (which isn't expensive to buy either, about £25 for a cable). Depends how involved you want to get.
That's interesting, I don't have the software, unless it can be done through protool. I'm definitely willing to get involved, but trying to figure out even how to install ISTA which I presume is what's required is quite difficult for a newbie to get through and ignore the incorrect places to acquire it.

Infact I just checked and programming the injectors is doable through protool, so surely resetting the adaptations is possible too.

Can anybody speak from experience on that?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 05:34 AM   #51
trism11
Registered
Rep

Very interesting! I'm in the same position having almost given up on finding index 11s. Had seen comments previously saying index 12 in an N53 is a bad idea but maybe it's worth it then seeing as it's impossible to source any 11s.

I can't say anything for protool as I've never gone that route but I'd strongly recommend getting a cheap OBD cable and getting ISTA/INPA. Personally, I've only used INPA as bimmerprofs is full of helpful guides, all be it with some questionable English at times. It's amazing the detail you can go to with it, I can see all the adaptions for the injectors. With that, I am thinking I might be able to get away with just replacing one bank with 11s/12s and putting all the supposedly good ones in the other bank till my wallet is looking healthy again.

With regards to coding/re-adaptation, it should be a breeze if you are technically inclined. I'd look at [https://bimmerprofs.com/injectors-adaptations-coding/] for some insight on the current injectors and possibly [https://bimmerprofs.com/not-encode-injectors/] for some help on coding although I haven't looked at that properly I'm sure there are loads of guides out there.

With regards to re-adaptations, this guide is all you need [https://bimmerprofs.com/re-adaptation-engine/]

I got all the tools from [https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads] and [https://bimmerprofs.com/msd80-loader-2-023/] update package as well.

Hope that helps and I haven't hijacked the thread too much but I'm glad the index 12s could give me hope!! Reply or DM if you need help, I should probably get back to work for now!
Appreciate 1
-claw-4.50
      05-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #52
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

I have installed both ISTA and INPA. Both are easy to use and readily available and a must have if you want to get involved.

For day to day fault checking I use carly - but got it before it was a subscription service and don't use it enough to warrant the subscription cost. It just saves getting out the laptop and I keep my dongle in the glove box if there is ever a fault when driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #53
330i.germany
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i (N53B30A)

Quote:
The re-coding should be a half hour labour max. If you're asking an indy to do just the re-coding, make sure you note the individual injector values as you fit them. Yes the car will drive without coding, though it might be a bit rough to start with, as the car adapts to the new injectors.
Hey! First of all, thanks for sharing your experience!

I wanted to ask you if your car is still well up and running with those N54 Injectors? Im about to do the same, just with used ones (from a N63 actually) because you literally can't get them new.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #54
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i.germany View Post
Hey! First of all, thanks for sharing your experience!

I wanted to ask you if your car is still well up and running with those N54 Injectors? Im about to do the same, just with used ones (from a N63 actually) because you literally can't get them new.
Yes my N54 (index 12) injectors are performing just fine. However mine were new not used.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #55
330i.germany
Rep

Quote:
Yes my N54 (index 12) injectors are performing just fine. However mine were new not used.
Cool! How many kilometers have you driven since? I got mine in now and it performs awesome. Apparently my head gasket starts leaking, though..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #56
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool! How many kilometers have you driven since? I got mine in now and it performs awesome. Apparently my head gasket starts leaking, though..
I've now driven 7,000kms on the N54 injectors. I presume you mean the valve cover gasket is leaking, not the head gasket? Head gaskets are not known to leak on this engine...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:05 AM   #57
330i.germany
Rep

Quote:
I've now driven 7,000kms on the N54 injectors. I presume you mean the valve cover gasket is leaking, not the head gasket? Head gaskets are not known to leak on this engine...
I already replaced the valve cover gasket last year

My Engine has about 280.000km now, and it started smoking white, funny sweet smelling since a few days. Today it started smoking non stop.. not sure what to do now. Most likely the head gasket
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:18 AM   #58
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I already replaced the valve cover gasket last year

My Engine has about 280.000km now, and it started smoking white, funny sweet smelling since a few days. Today it started smoking non stop.. not sure what to do now. Most likely the head gasket
That's bad news and very rare. Hope you manage to get it sorted...
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #59
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

I'd be looking for a proper test before condemning the HG. Also they tend to get damaged rather than fail so has it overheated recently? If it really is burning coolant it'll not do your cats and o2s much good.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #60
330i.germany
Rep

Quote:
I'd be looking for a proper test before condemning the HG. Also they tend to get damaged rather than fail so has it overheated recently? If it really is burning coolant it'll not do your cats and o2s much good.
I was at a workshop and they did a pressure test, its definitely not holding pressure so there has to be a leak somewhere (and it does not seem to be on the outside).

The Engine didn't overheat to my knowledge, i did a test drive today and it was holding the heat perfectly fine! (Range is 90-110°C, both oil and coolant). Also no smoke today, its really weird!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #61
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Any gasses in coolant? Compression test done?

What does not holding pressure mean - sounds like vacuum test on coolant system - as Phil says, HGF unheard of on these engines
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 07:19 AM   #62
330i.germany
Rep

Quote:
Any gasses in coolant? Compression test done?

What does not holding pressure mean - sounds like vacuum test on coolant system - as Phil says, HGF unheard of on these engines
The coolant smells like exhaust, Compression test hasn't been done yet - was thinking of buying a tester lately

By not holding pressure i mean, that a device was connected to the Coolant expansion tank cap to build pressure (1.5 bar) and you could watch it get lower by the minute

There were no signs of coolant in oil or vice versa so far

HGF might be unlikely, but i heard of lots of cases of cracked cylinder walls

Last edited by 330i.germany; 07-03-2022 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 05:20 AM   #63
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i N53

Quote:
Hi Phil, does the engine still operate in homogeneous / homogenous-lean / stratified mode with index 12?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:55 AM   #64
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceda View Post
Hi Phil, does the engine still operate in homogeneous / homogenous-lean / stratified mode with index 12?
Without diagnostics (which I don't have) I'm not sure how I would know for certain. However the engine runs absolutely normally and economy is a good as ever. Today I've just completed a 300 mile trip (mixed cross country and highway) and it's returning 45mpg or 5l/100km. So I'm confident it's working in all modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:02 AM   #65
Ceda
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i N53

Looks great! Good to know
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 04:59 AM   #66
Series3
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 325i

Hi everyone,

I was bold enough to get a 2008 e90 325i with the N53B30A engine and 135k kms. Sure enough, it's having a bit of a rough idle on a cold start and the EML came on for a cylinder 1 misfire. After reading a bit, I'm assuming it's probably a bad injector... I'm gonna smell the spark plugs tomorrow.

Question - are the N54 index 12's any better than the N53 index 11's? Any idea about reliability/longevity compared? If the N54 index 12's are noticeably better, I guess I would get 3 of these for a bank. Otherwise, maybe I just replace the ones that are bad with index 11's. Joy of joys... the car is in excellent condition otherwise and I'd be sad to throw it away.

Cheers,
Bruno

Last edited by Series3; 03-11-2024 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0