E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC Firmware Update - Can you crack the code?

10-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 Jet Black 335i (E92)

CIC Firmware Update - Can you crack the code?

Hello All,

I have a very early CIC model (my car was produced in Jan. 2009) and I am having trouble finding a way to do a firmware update so that I have the option of updating the maps from the archaic 2009 version on my vehicle.

I have dug through the various threads here previously mentioned and outside of makkan offering this service to folks on the other side of the pond or going to: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html which does not work for my vehicle (only for cars March 2010 and newer), I have not been able to find a way to do this.

Anyone who can help point me in the right direction in getting this updated, would be greatly appreciated. If someone can assist me with this, I would be willing to send some money your way as a thank for your time in helping.

Thank You in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

My car was made Aug of 08(09 model year) and I have CIC and capability of updating the maps. Why do you think you don't have the option to update?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
My car was made Aug of 08(09 model year) and I have CIC and capability of updating the maps. Why do you think you don't have the option to update?
I tried the USB method previously to generate an FSC with 6 different sticks and none worked.

I then tried to go to a vendor to buy the updates with a lifetime FSC and was told that my firmware (my maps do not show the letter i or the checkbox) was too old, and that this would need to first be updated (firmware) before I could take the updated navigation maps.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshi3 View Post
I tried the USB method previously to generate an FSC with 6 different sticks and none worked.

I then tried to go to a vendor to buy the updates with a lifetime FSC and was told that my firmware (my maps do not show the letter i or the checkbox) was too old, and that this would need to first be updated (firmware) before I could take the updated navigation maps.
Oh ok, yeah from what I've read(and you also) if you don't have the "i" or checkbox then you need the firmware update. What's weird is my car had original 09 maps but was able to be updated, everyone said pre-09 build and pre-lci would need firmware update. Guessing somewhere along the line mine was updated, who knows.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I believe regular joes can update the firmware with the right software and knowledge. I don't know how but I have played with ISTA and ESYS and they both have options to download massive archives of firmware to update bmws.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
pelon222
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328i

Can anyone update CIC remotely?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Hello All,

I have a very early CIC model (my car was produced in Jan. 2009) and I am having trouble finding a way to do a firmware update so that I have the option of updating the maps from the archaic 2009 version on my vehicle.

I have dug through the various threads here previously mentioned and outside of makkan offering this service to folks on the other side of the pond or going to: https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html which does not work for my vehicle (only for cars March 2010 and newer), I have not been able to find a way to do this.

Anyone who can help point me in the right direction in getting this updated, would be greatly appreciated. If someone can assist me with this, I would be willing to send some money your way as a thank for your time in helping.

Thank You in advance
You will need an integration level update of your vehicles firmware.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelon222 View Post
Can anyone update CIC remotely?
I dont believe so. After speaking to numerous people, I did find someone who does this locally.

I also spoke with my local dealership SA which I have a pretty good relationship with who told me they would do the update for 1 hour of labor which is actually not bad at all, and that would be an update of both the cic and the DME.

After getting into NCS and reviewing the vehicle information logs, I found out that my CIC is in fact archaic and is version C08 - which is from January 2009.

For any future thread readers, even if you do not intend to do a combox conversion, there are numerous benefits in getting your software up to date such as additional functionality that can be accessed with your navigation such as fuel stop suggestions that can be coded in, 3d maps that are actually 3D as well as the ability to download the most recent navigation maps.

Will follow up with an update next week once this is done for anyone who is interested
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #9
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Thread Update

I ran into some setback initially due to the fact that my car had the M3 cluster retrofitted in. The dealer ran into an issue stating the update was failing because it was looking for the original cluster.

Fast forward a few days once cluster is swapped (this is easy. You just remove M3 and put back in 335. No coding needed to make this switch) and I can get another appointment. The whole thing gets done, and I am charged for only 1 hour of labor at the dealer rate.

The good news, is the firmware has been updated. CIC menus look slightly different, phone call menu has additional functionality. Navigation has both check mark and i icon.

The bad news, some, but not all of the previous coding I had went out the window. My keys no longer roll up / down the windows or cause the mirrors to fold. I lost my navigation in motion, and removal of warning upon vehicle start up, but maintained other things like double blink hazard, LCI tail coding, and removal of amber from headlights. I have an appointment set with my coder next week to turn these features back on.

That being said, with firmware now up to date. Navigation can be updated, but more importantly, the CIC is now ready for a combox and 6FL (USB/AUX) upgrade!

Album Art, Wireless Bluetooth etc. are soon to come. I will provide updates for anyone interested in also completing this journey.
Appreciate 1
bcoz80.50
      10-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thread Update

I ran into some setback initially due to the fact that my car had the M3 cluster retrofitted in. The dealer ran into an issue stating the update was failing because it was looking for the original cluster.

Fast forward a few days once cluster is swapped (this is easy. You just remove M3 and put back in 335. No coding needed to make this switch) and I can get another appointment. The whole thing gets done, and I am charged for only 1 hour of labor at the dealer rate.

The good news, is the firmware has been updated. CIC menus look slightly different, phone call menu has additional functionality. Navigation has both check mark and i icon.

The bad news, some, but not all of the previous coding I had went out the window. My keys no longer roll up / down the windows or cause the mirrors to fold. I lost my navigation in motion, and removal of warning upon vehicle start up, but maintained other things like double blink hazard, LCI tail coding, and removal of amber from headlights. I have an appointment set with my coder next week to turn these features back on.

That being said, with firmware now up to date. Navigation can be updated, but more importantly, the CIC is now ready for a combox and 6FL (USB/AUX) upgrade!

Album Art, Wireless Bluetooth etc. are soon to come. I will provide updates for anyone interested in also completing this journey.
What do you mean by wireless bluetooth, are you meaning music, because I have phone calls but have been wanting the music part. And I thought you could only get album art and such if you had an iphone. Keep me updated, I've been wanting album art/phone music bluetooth compatability but didn't know if it was possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #11
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
What do you mean by wireless bluetooth, are you meaning music, because I have phone calls but have been wanting the music part. And I thought you could only get album art and such if you had an iphone. Keep me updated, I've been wanting album art/phone music bluetooth compatability but didn't know if it was possible.
Correct. I am in the same boat as you in that my car has Bluetooth audio for phone calls, but not for music. Having an aux cable dangling in your car with no integration to i-drive sucks. Retrofitting a combox solves this both of these things in that you’ll have Bluetooth audio for music that is also integrated with your i-drive for those things mentioned, song list, album art etc.

I am working with a guy now to make this happen and hopefully will have this done within the next two weeks.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #12
Mr. 320d
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Quote:
Retrofitting a combox solves this both of these things in that you’ll have Bluetooth audio for music that is also integrated with your i-drive for those things mentioned, song list, album art etc.
Do you know if you can get Album Art if you are using an Android device or does it have to be an iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 320d View Post
Do you know if you can get Album Art if you are using an Android device or does it have to be an iPhone?
I am not 100% sure. I do know that android devices will connect via bluetooth, for music audio but cannot confirm with 100% certainty that album art will work.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #14
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 320d View Post
Quote:
I am not 100% sure. I do know that android devices will connect via bluetooth, for music audio but cannot confirm with 100% certainty that album art will work.
No album art when using Android,
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #15
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:

I have some great news. Was able to successfully complete this conversion today doing upgrading from an aux in the armrest to aux/usb, as well as going from regular CIC to a CIC with combox!

It is an amazing feeling to get this done as this is a project I have been wanting to knock out for 4 years now.

I am currently without bluetooth as I need an adapter for the existing connectors for that as they are not PNP with the combox, but am hoping to have a full write up for anyone else who is interested in also undertaking this project with pictures (pending adapter), explanations and contacts by next week.

Stay Posted! Until then happy weekend
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Good job man!
      10-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #17
DRMCEO
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5

Quote:
Update:

I have some great news. Was able to successfully complete this conversion today doing upgrading from an aux in the armrest to aux/usb, as well as going from regular CIC to a CIC with combox!

It is an amazing feeling to get this done as this is a project I have been wanting to knock out for 4 years now.

I am currently without bluetooth as I need an adapter for the existing connectors for that as they are not PNP with the combox, but am hoping to have a full write up for anyone else who is interested in also undertaking this project with pictures (pending adapter), explanations and contacts by next week.

Stay Posted! Until then happy weekend
old thread but did you complete the combox? Is there a write up?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #18
Kooshi3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMCEO View Post
old thread but did you complete the combox? Is there a write up?
I did complete the combox, but never got around to completing the thread. As I have more time now than I've had over the last year, I'll try and put some pictures together.

That being said - it definitely is important to get your CIC firmware updated whether you are doing a combox retrofit or going for one of the newer retrofits that people are doing such as NBT Evo.

My dealer charged one hour of labor which was not bad and was less than what local indy shops that had the capability to do so wanted. Feel free to shop around your local dealerships to see who can help!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #19
PourBoi-Jay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport

That’s a great idea. I have some recalls to get done soon, so I’ll be sure to ask the dealer about a CIC firmware update while I’m in there.

I just retrofitted a 2015 BN2000 Combox into my car for basic Bluetooth streaming. No album art or anything, but I no longer need to use my Y-cable with an old I-Phone 5. Makes the car feel a LOT more modern.

It would be nice to have album art and BMW Apps tho.

Thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #20
simonafloat
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d LCI

This thread interests me, i have a 2009 e91 330d with the CIC system and like you mine is lacking the 'tick' on screen. I'm therefore assuming it won't accept a usb stick map upgrade.

I know you went to the trouble of doing a firmware upgrade, but does anyone know if it's possible to use DVDs to upgrade the maps? Would be slow but i'm being quoted £100 to update the firmware

Cheers

Simon
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #21
fatty5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonafloat View Post
This thread interests me, i have a 2009 e91 330d with the CIC system and like you mine is lacking the 'tick' on screen. I'm therefore assuming it won't accept a usb stick map upgrade.

I know you went to the trouble of doing a firmware upgrade, but does anyone know if it's possible to use DVDs to upgrade the maps? Would be slow but i'm being quoted £100 to update the firmware

Cheers

Simon
I was in the same boat recently, tried discs with no luck, ended up paying main dealer in Cardiff £203 inc 2 year fsc code to do the I-level update(basically everything that could be updated) on the car, Took them 2.5 days due to it glitching out a few times at one point the whole was dead! but they did it eventually. Kind of glad I paid them as my local wanted £120 but wouldn't entertain half the updates as they were twitchy about it glitching out on them!

Once you get the tick you can use USB and generate your own FSC, which I would have done myself but they offered me the nav fsc for £30 which is dirt cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #22
ogabriel
Registered
Rep
Drives: E30, E70, E91, F30

Hi. I tried to make a firmware / software update to a professional CIC manufactured in 2009 that has not received any updates so far, the authorized dealer asked me to sign an act assuming my responsibility in case the CIC unit blocks an update process. .
I wanted the new maps but the usb port in the glowbox was not active.
What to do?

I contacted a company from Bucharest Romania, TeoTel which you can also find on facebook, their recommendation was to send them by courier the CIC unit to which they made software updates on the fiber optic bank including the latest 2020-1 maps.
After installation on the car had to be recoded with NCS.
Happy now!
Appreciate 0