E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > New Owner Here (Need Help)

10-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
TeeCrouch
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 328i

New Owner Here (Need Help)

Hey BP family,

Long time reader this is my first post so forgive me if this is in the wrong place but I recently just purchased a 2006 BMW 328i and I need a little work done, but not sure where to start. Here's the deets:

A) It has 115K miles, the car makes that "jerk" when I stop, I believe it's the transmission but not sure if I should deal with it or go out and purchase a used tranny and have it installed

B) My radio head unit is "burnt out" I was thinking of getting an older ipad mini and installing it but I think I read that it's a simple replacement if I find a used one at a junkyard or something. Even if I get the iPad it'd would be nice to read the name and numbers from the head unit.

C) I too have the sticky door grab from hell and I hate warning passengers about it, any quick fixes? Should I just order a replacement part and head up to Maaco and have them replace?

D) My rear passenger window will come down about half-way after I roll it up all the way, I'm sure it's just a regulator but hmmm

E) Thinking about installing an amp and sub in the E90, not sure if that will be more headache than what it's worth.

Any advice or recommendations are welcomed. Besides the items listed above this is by far the best car I've driven.

Thanks for everything in advance.

-T.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCrouch View Post
Hey BP family,

B) My radio head unit is "burnt out" I was thinking of getting an older ipad mini and installing it but I think I read that it's a simple replacement if I find a used one at a junkyard or something. Even if I get the iPad it'd would be nice to read the name and numbers from the head unit.

As long as you don't have navi, swap it with a replacement unit. This will most likely require coding afterwards, so that it's fully functional.

C) I too have the sticky door grab from hell and I hate warning passengers about it, any quick fixes? Should I just order a replacement part and head up to Maaco and have them replace?

BMW sells replacement parts that are not made of rubber, it's all plastic. This is easy to change. You will have to drill 2-3 plastic posts for the handle to release from the door panel. The replacement kit comes with screws.

D) My rear passenger window will come down about half-way after I roll it up all the way, I'm sure it's just a regulator but hmmm

You may be able to fix this yourself without any parts.

1. Put key in, no need to start car.
2. Roll window all the way down, let go of button.
3. Hold window button DOWN for 20seconds. This resets the window in the down position. Now you must reset the window in the up position.
4. Roll window up. Do NOT panic if window doesn't go all the way up. It may only go up about 3inches. Then hold the up button again and it may only go up another 3inches or so. Keep doing this until the window is all the way in the up position as the window has not been reset in the up position yet. Let go of button.
5. Hold window button UP for 20 seconds. This resets the window in the up position.

-T.
See answers above.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 / 2011 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
See answers above.
I didn't have to drill anything to swap the handle on my car.. the top just pops out and there are 2 screws that hold it in place.. take those out, swap the handle, screw it back in and pop the top back in.. done

And for the transmission if OP does the service.. replace fluid, pan, filter, seals it should fix the jerking.. this is a $300 DIY project... unless you feel the need to pay $2000 at the dealership. BMW tells you the fluid is "lifetime" which is total crap.. that service needs to happen at 60k or so.

Last edited by M5_1of400; 10-19-2018 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
TeeCrouch
Rep

Thanks for the help guys. I've reset my sunroof and window this weekend. I found a scrap yard that has a wrecked e90 so I'm planning to go scavenging for parts this week. They have a used transmission for $550, a door grab, and I'm thinking about swapping headlights. The yard will pull all of the parts and I have a "YouTube" mechanic who should be able to to fix the door grab.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the help guys. I've reset my sunroof and window this weekend. I found a scrap yard that has a wrecked e90 so I'm planning to go scavenging for parts this week. They have a used transmission for $550, a door grab, and I'm thinking about swapping headlights. The yard will pull all of the parts and I have a "YouTube" mechanic who should be able to to fix the door grab.
Damm.. so you are swapping the entire transmission? seems a little extreme.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
TeeCrouch
Rep

I hadn't replaced it yet but I found one with 120K on it for $500. I figure another $500 for someone to put it on and that would be cheaper/ better than me trying to figure out the issue. Sad thing is, I don't have a mechanic or garage that I trust that would tell me if I'm over reacting.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
M5_1of400
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I hadn't replaced it yet but I found one with 120K on it for $500. I figure another $500 for someone to put it on and that would be cheaper/ better than me trying to figure out the issue. Sad thing is, I don't have a mechanic or garage that I trust that would tell me if I'm over reacting.
Mechanic wise go see Mike at EurPower he is in Dallas and you can definitely trust him and his crew, top notch guys to work with.