E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How to properly remove a sealent?

10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Question How to properly remove a sealent?

I spent last weekend detailing my car and my car had to go to the dealer yesterday evening.

Before I left the car at the dealer, I asked the SA if they had a brushless car wash or one that had brushes. He said they only hand wash vehicles that come in for service. I told him I was asking because I put several hours in last weekend getting all of my swirl marks out of my paint. He said I wouldnt have a thing to worry about.

After putting in 12-14 hours last week polishing my car with FG400, SI1500 and PL. Car was looking awesome.

Pick the car up today and it seriously looks like its in worse condition than before I did the paint correction last weekend. Swirl marks galore

Is there any specific way to properly remove a sealent such as Menzerna PL??

Thanks in advance.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
I spent last weekend detailing my car and my car had to go to the dealer yesterday evening.

Before I left the car at the dealer, I asked the SA if they had a brushless car wash or one that had brushes. He said they only hand wash vehicles that come in for service. I told him I was asking because I put several hours in last weekend getting all of my swirl marks out of my paint. He said I wouldnt have a thing to worry about.

After putting in 12-14 hours last week polishing my car with FG400, SI1500 and PL. Car was looking awesome.

Pick the car up today and it seriously looks like its in worse condition than before I did the paint correction last weekend. Swirl marks galore

Is there any specific way to properly remove a sealent such as Menzerna PL??

Thanks in advance.

-Nick
so you are saying the dealer put the swirls in by washing it?

you will remove the sealant by first washing the car with a good soap and then clay barring the surface and then polishing to remove the swirls... this will also remove all the sealant

if the swirls are light, i would try a finishing polish with a white pad with moderate speed and pressure... be sure to wipe the car afterwards with car pro eraser or something similar to get the best bond b/t paint and sealnt

also, after i spent a week taking swirls out of my new car i will never bring my car in again without putting a sign in the window saying "no wash" and without telling the service rep every time to not touch my cay with any cleaning

in my case, my new car's had been sitting on a lot for 6 months and had a bit of enviro damage and small particles and stuff on it... saw it at the dealer on sunday night inspected the paint and all was fine... i picked up the car Monday at noon, i was thinking there was no way they could do much damage in a few hours, was i wrong... swirled and scratched and it was unreal what they did... when i gave my evaluation of my new car to bmw Canada, there was a specific question about the delivery condition and i failed them and said it was horrible and swirled and scratched

Last edited by miker2013; 10-10-2013 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2013 View Post
so you are saying the dealer put the swirls in by washing it?

you will remove the sealant by first washing the car with a good soap and then clay barring the surface and then polishing to remove the swirls... this will also remove all the sealant

if the swirls are light, i would try a finishing polish with a white pad with moderate speed and pressure... be sure to wipe the car afterwards with car pro eraser or something similar to get the best bond b/t paint and sealnt

also, after i spent a week taking swirls out of my new car i will never bring my car in again without putting a sign in the window saying "no wash" and without telling the service rep every time to not touch my cay with any cleaning

in my case, my new car's had been sitting on a lot for 6 months and had a bit of enviro damage and small particles and stuff on it... saw it at the dealer on sunday night inspected the paint and all was fine... i picked up the car Monday at noon, i was thinking there was no way they could do much damage in a few hours, was i wrong... swirled and scratched and it was unreal what they did... when i gave my evaluation of my new car to bmw Canada, there was a specific question about the delivery condition and i failed them and said it was horrible and swirled and scratched
Yes.

When I dropped off my car it was literally swirl free. Now there are swirls everywhere.

Thanks for the advice on how to removal the sealant. I've read a few threads that say Dawn works good to remove sealants and wax's but I've also read some that say not to use Dawn.

I was thinking that I may just try and use the SI1500 on it and hope it brings it back to where it was. One thing is for sure, I will never allow the dealer to wash my car ever again.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

yes go over it with si1500 with white pad

others have more experience than me will say to use dawn but i dont like the idea of it cause why would so many say no? i use a good soap like cg maxi suds 2... any soap will do cause it will be the claying and/or polishing that will really clean the surface
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2013 View Post
yes go over it with si1500 with white pad

others have more experience than me will say to use dawn but i dont like the idea of it cause why would so many say no? i use a good soap like cg maxi suds 2... any soap will do cause it will be the claying and/or polishing that will really clean the surface
Gotcha
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

1. Detailers clay will remove wax but only a small % of polymer sealant

2. Dawn contains both surfactants and emollients both of which are left behind when the surface is rinsed. Both these chemical components will hinder the bonding, and therefore the durability of a paint protection product.

3. Reagent isopropyl alcohol (IPA) will remove light polishing oils but doesn’t do so well trying to remove their surfactants

4. Gtechniq Panel Wipe removes surface residue (silicone, surfactants, oil, wax and polish lubrication residue) allowing a ‘clean’ surface prior to the application of a coating product to effectively form a chemical bonds

Panel Wipe blends pure alcohols with aromatic solvents to dissolve any polish residues and 'flash' off, to leave a completely ‘cleaned’ surface.

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles, these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

If you plan to polish the paint out again, then you really don't need to do anything special. The abrasives in the polish will remove the sealant. Using dawn is perfectly ok if you are trying to strip LSP's. People will probably say not to use dawn because it WILL strip your wax/sealant. For the best result, I would wash it with dawn since you will likely be skipping your clay step, then go straight into polishing. After the polishing step, wipe down with 30% IPA to remove the remaining polishing oils or sealant if there still is any (most likely not, if you're using SIP). Reseal your paint my favorite part. NEVER let the dealership wash your car. They hire chumps at low wages to "detail" cars. They likely use a single bucket and hardly rinse out their wash mitts.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the additional info guys. There truly is a lot of experienced folks in this section.

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Inzane
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335i

Couldn't you have left the instruction with your dealership NOT to wash your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Yeah I never let the dealer touch my car. I always tell the service manager to put a note on the car and on the service order DO NOT WASH. Worked so far!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

SI1500 is too aggressive to to use again after doing what you did. Why did you follow FG400 up with such an aggressive polish? You should have used something like SF4000 or SF4500. If you are going to polish the car again, you don't need to remove the sealant. Just start polishing because that will remove it. Follow up with an IPA wipe down and then reapply the sealant.
      10-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
SI1500 is too aggressive to to use again after doing what you did. Why did you follow FG400 up with such an aggressive polish? You should have used something like SF4000 or SF4500. If you are going to polish the car again, you don't need to remove the sealant. Just start polishing because that will remove it. Follow up with an IPA wipe down and then reapply the sealant.
Don't really have an excuse other than maybe I'm a novice at polishing. I did try the WG FG with a white pad but didn't get the results I was looking for. Tried the SI1500 with a white pad and that removed the new swirls that were present.

Car looks great again.

Lessons learned and I now know to NEVER let the dealer do a courtesy wash upon pick up.

-Nick
Appreciate 0