E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Power steering flush done with wrong fluid

08-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
EFk
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Power steering flush done with wrong fluid

I have a somewhat an unusual situation with power steering fluid in my 2007 328i. I know CHF-11s should be used, that is clear. However, when I was recently going through the old receipts I noticed that the shop I took my car to after purchasing it in 2018 used ATF (ECO ATF 3103-300) instead of CHF to perform a flush. I had no issues with steering over the past 5 years but about 2 months ago I noticed that fluid level was a bit low and so I topped it off with CHF fluid... had no idea that it was actually filled with ATF. I maybe added 2-3 Oz.

Another weird thing is ATF fluid should be red, but mine is light brown with just a slight red tint to it and it doesn't smell sweet like ATF either, which makes me think that they possibly added a wrong fluid to the receipt but in reality used CHF fluid like they should have.

So now I am wondering if I need to flush the old fluid out since mixing the two is a bad idea and I already added those 2-3 Oz of CHF. But then again seems like most people use turkey basters to extract as much of old fluid as possible and then top it with new fluid, hence, it will be mixed anyway. Maybe it's worth repeating this a few times to make sure that at lest most of the fluid will get replaced for the correct one? Or is it better to just leave things as they are since there are no obvious issues with steering? Any other ideas on how to go about this? Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by EFk; 08-23-2023 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 03:13 AM   #2
Moose
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I changed my power steering fluid, with CHF-11s(extracted with syringe),three times (every 40k miles) and it was always light brown-exactly like yours. I understand your concern because CHF-11s has a green tint. But as it wears it changes color.
Its possible the shop used CHF-11s but stated ATF on the receipt.

It took me about five extractions/refills before the fluid turned light green.
Appreciate 1
EFk0.00