E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Pennzoil-Motul comaprison!

10-19-2023, 06:20 PM   #1
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Pennzoil-Motul comaprison!

So, the Shell team and I did a test of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and Motul X-Cess 5W40 GEN2 in my 328i xDrive 6MT, N52. Car has 3-stage intake, euro intake, and it is tracked. It has oil cooler (radiator) from 335.
Initially, the idea was to compare Motul 5W40 300V, but that sample was lost in the mail (Shell's fault).

The results for both oils, are fantastic! There is literally no KV100 (grade) loss, or it is extremely minimal.
PPE had 260mls of track time for 5k OCI, while Motul did not have any track time due to my work being crazy.
Both oils have TBN at very high levels, which means both oils could do 10K OCI without issue (I would definitely advise against this if the vehicle sees track).
Zinc levels are very high, as expected. In PPE case there is probably some leftover of 300V in oil cooler, so that elevated Zinc a bit.
PPE is API SP so additives are in according to that. Calcium is on lower side to prevent LSPI in modern turbo engines (not our concern here) but moly and magnesium are up. Motul is API SN, old old-fashioned additive package.
The fantastic grade retention is probably bit due to the fact that I have oil cooler, but this car does school drop-offs, ski trips, track, etc. It is moving every day, all day, so not garage queen.
So, if you are interested in what would be good oil for your N51/52/53/54/55, here are results:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2023, 10:36 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Nice I use the Pennzoil one as well.
Appreciate 0