E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Alpina Flash Possible or not even?! #ExpertsPlz

06-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
adamconti
Rep
Drives: e90 BMW 335i

Lightbulb Alpina Flash Possible or not even?! #ExpertsPlz

So, i have an N54 e90 running mhd stage 2 and i've been thinking of flashing the alpina trans forever just always a little nervous when it comes to do flashing hardware on the car. anyhow, i know they say u need a car built after 03/07 and my car's a 2007 so i did a vin-check as suggested and i found my Prod.date: 2007-03-30 JUST MY LUCK HAHA. so i wanted to know am i able to do the flash? is there a chance? can i check using the INPA or flashing software? thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

You could download xHP and I believe it will tell you if your transmission is flashable or not for free. If it's xHP compatible then it would be Alpina compatible as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
adamconti
Rep

thats a really good idea i'm going to try that in a bit, thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
adamconti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
You could download xHP and I believe it will tell you if your transmission is flashable or not for free. If it's xHP compatible then it would be Alpina compatible as well.

Okay so I ran xHP and it showed my hardware number as well as other info and said xHP flashable plus another thing said flashable as well so it seems compatible??? I thought I took a screenshot but apparently not! anyhow does that mean I'm able to flash the TCU with Alpina fw?!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Some advice from someone driving on the Alpina flash for a few years, get one of the new "custom" alpina flashes instead. The authentic Alpina flash is damn good in M or S modes, but it is not great in D mode. When in D mode it shifts at the earliest possible moment. That means that, with normal throttle, you are shifting at 2k RPM or below. It might be a decent idea for mileage, but it is a lot less responsive than stock. Most people with the Alpina flash say similar things. Since software to read, modify and flash the TCU is available, people have loaded the stock flash, and the Alpina flash, and blended the two together to keep the M and S modes of the Alpina and have a more stock like D mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
adamconti
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26 View Post
Some advice from someone driving on the Alpina flash for a few years, get one of the new "custom" alpina flashes instead. The authentic Alpina flash is damn good in M or S modes, but it is not great in D mode. When in D mode it shifts at the earliest possible moment. That means that, with normal throttle, you are shifting at 2k RPM or below. It might be a decent idea for mileage, but it is a lot less responsive than stock. Most people with the Alpina flash say similar things. Since software to read, modify and flash the TCU is available, people have loaded the stock flash, and the Alpina flash, and blended the two together to keep the M and S modes of the Alpina and have a more stock like D mode.
Thanks for the advice man, where would I get this hybrid alpina flashes?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26 View Post
Thanks for the advice man, where would I get this hybrid alpina flashes?
interested in hearing more about this as well. I've been running the Alpina flash for long time and over the yrs I've gotten used to its behavior in D but wouldn't mind learning more about this new hybrid Alpina flash.
Appreciate 0