E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Which downpipe do you recommend? Which to avoid?

10-15-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Our most popular by far is the VRSF

That was my other choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:33 PM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
Congrats on getting new DP, looking forward for your feedback

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
JonEQuest246.00
      10-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #25
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
Congrats on getting new DP, looking forward for your feedback
Should I reconnect all 4 oxygen sensors? I've been reading that most people leave the back 2 disconnected. I have not done any performance flashes on this car. BUT I know nothing about what the former owner did except for he did put a cold air intake on it. I'm just curious because once I install this I don't want to take it down again and possibly mess up the gaskets if I don't need to. I do have a data cable and have learned a little bit about how to use INPA.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #26
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I'd install them, you can always just disconnect them if you decide you don't want them active.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #27
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I'd install them, you can always just disconnect them if you decide you don't want them active.
Ah, that's true. I wonder if the back ones will read correctly without the front catalysts burning some of the fuel before it gets to the second ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #28
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Definitely connect the rear o2s.
      10-16-2018, 01:13 PM   #29
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Definitely connect the rear o2s.
OK, that was my first thought but then I read about people saying they're disconnecting the rear ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #30
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Will I need to code anything after putting the downpipes on?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #31
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Should I reconnect all 4 oxygen sensors? I've been reading that most people leave the back 2 disconnected. I have not done any performance flashes on this car. BUT I know nothing about what the former owner did except for he did put a cold air intake on it. I'm just curious because once I install this I don't want to take it down again and possibly mess up the gaskets if I don't need to. I do have a data cable and have learned a little bit about how to use INPA.
All 4 should be connected, they all play a role in fuel trims.

Whoever said disconnect back 2 offered very poor advice.

If you don't have a tune that removes the check engine light, you will have one.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 05:44 PM   #32
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Quote:
All 4 should be connected, they all play a role in fuel trims.

If you don't have a tune that removes the check engine light, you will have one.
Yeah, I plan to connect all 4.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #33
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightning View Post
Quote:
I haven't tried to put them on yet but I have to admit I'm impressed with the shipping time. I ordered them yesterday and they're here today. I did ask then to process my order ASAP so they would ship out soon, but didn't pay for rush shipping. Quality looks good. I just have to wait for the turbo gaskets to come. then I'll give some feedback on how well they fit.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
From what i can tell from the picture; Don't use those gaskets. They are very low quality and do not have metal ring. They can be blown out easily. Specially on the downpipes without flex piece.

I recommend you get a set of original BMW gaskets with the squish ring that look like this;

I am about to try and install three. I agree with using OEM BMW gaskets but I am going to just give it a go with the ones it came with so I don't have wait anymore. If I have to change them later it won't be a big deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #34
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post

If this was aimed at me, I'd like to clarify that I did not suggest any be left unplugged. The question was if any should be left "uninstalled", to which I replied no, none should be left uninstalled...but, should the OP ever feel a need to not have any of the O2 sensors active, he can simply unplug them...for whatever reason he see fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #35
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't tried to put them on yet but I have to admit I'm impressed with the shipping time. I ordered them yesterday and they're here today. I did ask then to process my order ASAP so they would ship out soon, but didn't pay for rush shipping. Quality looks good. I just have to wait for the turbo gaskets to come. then I'll give some feedback on how well they fit.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
From what i can tell from the picture; Don't use those gaskets. They are very low quality and do not have metal ring. They can be blown out easily. Specially on the downpipes without flex piece.

I recommend you get a set of original BMW gaskets with the squish ring that look like this;

I am about to try and install three. I agree with using OEM BMW gaskets but I am going to just give it a go with the ones it came with so I don't have wait anymore. If I have to change them later it won't be a big deal.
I added some foil tape to both sides of the gaskets to beef them up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #36
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I added some foil tape to both sides of the gaskets to beef them up.
the MMP downpipes we're the only ones I've ever installed but they did fit well. I encountered what I've seen in many photos where 1 pipe is far away from the exhaust and the longer bolts really come in handy to pull it together. I also found that one bolt I've heard about that sits right against the downpipe. I actually grindes down the top of it a bit so that would be a couple of millimeters of clearance. Basically the end result is that these seem to fit pretty well. I have not driven the car because I'm trying to track down a noise that I was hoping was exhaust leak but maybe bearing or something.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #37
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Looks like you shaved the motor mount bolt head?

Fitment is poor if that needs to be done. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #38
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post

I have read that there was one bolt that often hits the downpipes of most brands. That was the bolt for me. I will eventually just replace it with a standard type bolt that is lower profile. Some down pipes come with a bolt for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #39
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have read that there was one bolt that often hits the downpipes of most brands. That was the bolt for me. I will eventually just replace it with a standard type bolt that is lower profile. Some down pipes come with a bolt for this reason.
Yes but the downpipes that fit well don't require any extra modification or bolt
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #40
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes but the downpipes that fit well don't require any extra modification or bolt
I understand but this one fits pretty well and if I have to buy one bolt I can live with it. It has plenty of clearance away from everything else. This is the least of my worries at the moment because quieting the exhaust leak I had before as finally exposed the fact that there's definitely noise in the lower end of my engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:20 AM   #41
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
Yes replace the gaskets under the V bands, they are cheap. As far as being a PITA, after a few goes this can be done very quickly. just takes a little practice.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but gaskets under the V-bands? Isn't the point of a V-band to not need a gasket as the V-band wraps around both joining pieces and holds them tightly together? I can't seem to find any V-band gaskets online, do you mean a whole new V-band?
      10-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #42
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faredo View Post
Yes replace the gaskets under the V bands, they are cheap. As far as being a PITA, after a few goes this can be done very quickly. just takes a little practice.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but gaskets under the V-bands? Isn't the point of a V-band to not need a gasket as the V-band wraps around both joining pieces and holds them tightly together? I can't seem to find any V-band gaskets online, do you mean a whole new V-band?
It's a circle gasket that sits between the turbo and downpipe. You don't need a new one unless there are signs of leakage.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:20 PM   #43
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

One of mine was leaking big time so I replaced them both and went ahead and got downpipes at the same time since it is not a fun job. Now that my exhaust leak is cured I am sure that the noise I was worried about is a rod bearing.

My next project is to go ahead and drop the oil pan and see what is going on. I suspect a rod bearing and hopefully it is not at the point the journal is scarred too bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #44
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
If this was aimed at me, I'd like to clarify that I did not suggest any be left unplugged. The question was if any should be left "uninstalled", to which I replied no, none should be left uninstalled...but, should the OP ever feel a need to not have any of the O2 sensors active, he can simply unplug them...for whatever reason he see fit.
It was not for you, only the person I quoted
Appreciate 0