E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Supercharger stuff (MILVs+AA+BPC)

12-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #815
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
God I know you guys like your n52 but after all is said and done you will still be slower than a stock n54 and you will have dropped 8k+

Noir just come to the dark side.
I know your intentions are good and there’s a ton of merit to what you are saying... but I just don’t care lol

I love my N52.

I love how it makes power to redline and the crescendo grows all through the rev range to max power at 7500.

I love the sound of the choir of angels singing out their naturally aspirated melodies.

I love how simple and easy to work on it is.

I love how relatively low maintenance it is. (Port Injection FTW).

I love how it’s the last N/A I6 ever made by a company with a legacy of making them back to the 1920’s.

I love how it’s the most advanced N/A I6 ever made, magnesium block and expenses be damned. (Look inside the intake ports on the heads to see the attention to detail it’s magnificent. And it’s lighter than the 2.0 4 cylinder in the FRS!)

I love the instant throttle response, the eagerness of the engine to give you everything it’s got at a moments notice. (Angry Chihuahua Lol)

It’s a remnant of a bygone era and we will not see another motor like this again. The turbo cars are just another turbo for me. They mean nothing to me. I’ve driven them all and I just can’t get excited about them. (For the record I also wear mechanical watches and refuse to go to a smart watch so I’m getting to be a dinosaur.)

And I don’t care if anyone’s turbo watchamacalit is faster than my car. In 5 years cheap electric cars will be faster than whatever Turbo you (not you specifically Torgus just a general “you all”) are building so I need to have more than quickness from a ICE car. So I’m looking more to whatever character the car brings to the table. Give me a peppy (~300hp) N/A engine with character, great handling, and a manual transmission and I’m happy.

(I don’t look down on turbo builds of course. I can appreciate anyone who is building their car into what they like but in Noir’s defense the supercharger keeps all the great characteristics of the N52 intact while you give them up swapping to the turbo cars.)

Last edited by Biginboca; 12-16-2019 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 11
Noir883.00
Torgus3779.00
Rmtt8206.00
Phyrexia502.50
dwashy64.50
MCShred99.00
W37V1101.00
otitxn6.00
      12-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #816
scanspeak
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i 12/2007

Well said Biginboca and I agree 100%. Long live the N52.
Appreciate 3
      12-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #817
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
While the trans is out, gonna do that risky transmission flush since it's at 120k miles. (anyone have any supporting evidence on why I should or shouldnt?
Nothing to worry about at all with the 6MT; it's a Getrag, and there's nothing fancy going on in there. I'd use Pentosin or Ravenol fluids. With the Getrag, simply drain from the drain plug, seal, and fill into the fill hole until fluid starts overflowing. Piece of cake. I bought my 328 with a bad clutch so I had to get in'ere in the first month of ownership.
Thanks, dude!

Shipping delayed from JB until today... apparently. Got that email last night. Looks like this wont happen until after the start of January. FML.
      12-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #818
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

I guess I just want to see how far the engine can go with the blower - more documentation to this forum for those who are gonna ask for previously posted information.:

Mostly to put a smile on my own face though- trust me. I wanted a 335 or a 235 (now the 40i trims for the updated engines) but I didnt want something someone else had dogged on for a while ... I'd love nothing more to spank some new gt350 that the well off 20yr old kids parents got him : speaking of... I'm really contemplating the gt500 that is due next year- lots power and no need to dick with it.♡

The only down side of being unconventional is not keeping up with tried and true'd methods. But I'm not really looking for the straight line numbers with this car! Although, feels good putting some loud hoon boi in his place. 3.91 LSD + v3si is fun for sure- I just wish it was whined like those ford lightnings. If that dog box was half the price- I'd probably do it, too.

I just want her to be a track queen like Pete's build was. Maybe one day when I go back up to that area I can see the legend in person.

+1 Biginboca - I got a tag heuer back in August - Love it.
Biginboca3759.50
Rmtt8206.00
Phyrexia502.50
      12-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #819
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

I miss my N52. The F30 is a big'ol thing and the 328 felt a lot different. And I've had more problems in 6 months of N55 ownership than I did in 18 months of N52 ownership (and I drove across the fucking country twice with the N52, pulling a 2000 pound trailer on the way back)

But the 328 won't ever run a 12.2 quarter mile
Biginboca3759.50
Rmtt8206.00
      12-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #820
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
God I know you guys like your n52 but after all is said and done you will still be slower than a stock n54 and you will have dropped 8k+

Noir just come to the dark side.
I know your intentions are good and there's a ton of merit to what you are saying... but I just don't care lol

I love my N52.

I love how it makes power to redline and the crescendo grows all through the rev range to max power at 7500.

I love the sound of the choir of angels singing out their naturally aspirated melodies.

I love how it's the last N/A I6 ever made by a company with a legacy of making them back to the 1920's.

I love how it's the most advanced N/A I6 ever made, magnesium block and expenses be damned. (Look inside the intake ports on the heads to see the attention to detail it's magnificent. And it's lighter than the 2.0 4 cylinder in the FRS!)

I love the instant throttle response, the eagerness of the engine to give you everything it's got at a moments notice. (Angry Chihuahua Lol)

It's a remnant of a bygone era and we will not see another motor like this again. The turbo cars are just another turbo for me. They mean nothing to me. I've driven them all and I just can't get excited about them. (For the record I also wear mechanical watches and refuse to go to a smart watch so I'm getting to be a dinosaur.)

And I don't care if anyone's turbo watchamacalit is faster than my car. In 5 years cheap electric cars will be faster than whatever Turbo you (not you specifically Torgus just a general "you all") are building so I need to have more than quickness from a ICE car. So I'm looking more to whatever character the car brings to the table. Give me a peppy (~300hp) N/A engine with character, great handling, and a manual transmission and I'm happy.

(I don't look down on turbo builds of course. I can appreciate anyone who is building their car into what they like but in Noir's defense the supercharger keeps all the great characteristics of the N52 intact while you give them up swapping to the turbo cars.)
preaching to the choir my guy couldn't have said it better myself

loved your walkthrough on the E92 DD on YouTube btw good stuff
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 1
Biginboca3759.50
      12-18-2019, 05:20 AM   #821
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
I miss my N52. The F30 is a big'ol thing and the 328 felt a lot different. And I've had more problems in 6 months of N55 ownership than I did in 18 months of N52 ownership (and I drove across the fucking country twice with the N52, pulling a 2000 pound trailer on the way back)

But the 328 won't ever run a 12.2 quarter mile
At the Trap Speed you have in your signature (115)....you have an "11 second" car if you could cut a 1.7 or less 60' time and had a good "DA".

But a 1.8 60' is about the fastest time I have seen a street tire hook.

Impressive no matter how you look at it!

I remember chasing my first 11 second pass in one of my old Corvettes I had just started modding. I was so close and my friend let me borrow his DR's and told me to have at it.

First launch and I broke a half-shaft. Good Times!

Last edited by Rmtt; 12-18-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #822
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Not to derail the thread too much, but yeah, I concur. I cut a 1.869 60' with AS3+ at 41psi in the rear (they opened the track back up as i was about to leave), and I had a small boost leak. I also have an LSD to install. I want 11.9x bad and I think it'll happen early next year :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
At the Trap Speed you have in your signature (115)....you have an "11 second" car if you could cut a 1.7 or less 60' time and had a good "DA".

But a 1.8 60' is about the fastest time I have seen a street tire hook.

Impressive no matter how you look at it!

I remember chasing my first 11 second pass in one of my old Corvettes I had just started modding. I was so close and my friend let me borrow his DR's and told me to have at it.

First launch and I broke a half-shaft. Good Times!
Rmtt8206.00
      01-01-2020, 04:57 PM   #823
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Finally have everything in my house. Waiting for the local shop to open up! They made it seem like it could be done within 4 days time. (Less than that, but to be safe.) Sorry this is dragging! I'm eager, bois. Truly.
Kubricks152.00
Phyrexia502.50
dwashy64.50
Rmtt8206.00
      01-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #824
200,000 club
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328i 6MT

Quote:
I know your intentions are good and there’s a ton of merit to what you are saying... but I just don’t care lol

I love my N52.

I love how it’s the last N/A I6 ever made by a company with a legacy of making them back to the 1920’s.

I love how it’s the most advanced N/A I6 ever made, magnesium block and expenses be damned. (Look inside the intake ports on the heads to see the attention to detail it’s magnificent. And it’s lighter than the 2.0 4 cylinder in the FRS!)

I love the instant throttle response, the eagerness of the engine to give you everything it’s got at a moments notice. (Angry Chihuahua Lol)

It’s a remnant of a bygone era and we will not see another motor like this again. The turbo cars are just another turbo for me. They mean nothing to me. I’ve driven them all and I just can’t get excited about them. (For the record I also wear mechanical watches and refuse to go to a smart watch so I’m getting to be a dinosaur.)

And I don’t care if anyone’s turbo watchamacalit is faster than my car. In 5 years cheap electric cars will be faster than whatever Turbo you (not you specifically Torgus just a general “you all”) are building so I need to have more than quickness from a ICE car. So I’m looking more to whatever character the car brings to the table. Give me a peppy (~300hp) N/A engine with character, great handling, and a manual transmission and I’m happy.

(I don’t look down on turbo builds of course. I can appreciate anyone who is building their car into what they like but in Noir’s defense the supercharger keeps all the great characteristics of the N52 intact while you give them up swapping to the turbo cars.)
😢 This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read in my life. I'd much rather have a 300hp n/a car than a 500-800hp turbo car. Hell, I wouldn't give up my stock 328i for anything turbo, this thing is a damn trooper, she made a 600 mile road trip in one day at over 200k miles and nothing fucked up, and I only filled up once. I know im ranting but God, what an amazing engine
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #825
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200,000 club View Post
Quote:

I love my N52.

😢 This is the most beautiful thing I've ever read in my life. I'd much rather have a 300hp n/a car than a 500-800hp turbo car. Hell, I wouldn't give up my stock 328i for anything turbo, this thing is a damn trooper, she made a 600 mile road trip in one day at over 200k miles and nothing fucked up, and I only filled up once. I know im ranting but God, what an amazing engine
Does anyone find it just a little ironic that the hottest topic in the Naturally Aspirated forums is supercharger talk? 😎

I agree, the N52 is a great motor. I'd still have one if they kept building 3,000 lb cars with them. After 2009 everything got super heavy. Even the E89 came in at 3,500 lbs.

I am finding the N54 is not all that bad. With a little personal tuning it does have some of the character that I liked in the N52. Just don't get greedy with the power. With the stupid peg legs BMW puts in the rear difs, you can't get all the power into the pavement anyways.
Appreciate 1
3002 tii2269.00
      01-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #826
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

I mean... I want an m2 comp or the next m3 if it's pretty... just seeing how far I can push old girl with the blower... I wish I could buy a e30 shell and be like hassmaschine. I'm sure just the diff headers and milvs would make for a slick little coupe.
      01-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #827
Seattlesquash
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 2007 SC

Garage List
Changed plugs today, looked pretty good for 20k miles w/ blower... but will stick to that interval going forward.

Plus another fun project, got to fab up a connection for rear discs on my old carbon hardtail. Tough w/space but I am stubborn!
Attached Images

E92 328i|6MT|ESS SC VT-1 (G.2)|3 stage|22 RPD SC/Meth tune|AA Headers|Snow Performance Meth Injection|Rotiform KPS|R139|PS4S 275.245.19|M3 front|M3 side skirts|MTEC rear|Akrapovic C tips|Koni Sport (Yellow)|Eibach PS|Hotchkis SB|C high-kick spoiler|C mirror Covers|C trim|LCI tails|M3 Control arms|M3 MS|Black E trim|Black kidney's|Full LED Conv|BMW F30 370/345 BBK|ECS SS|ECS Strut Tower Brace|034 Engine-Trans-Rear Mounts
Appreciate 1
Phyrexia502.50
      01-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #828
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Does anyone find it just a little ironic that the hottest topic in the Naturally Aspirated forums is supercharger talk? 😎

I agree, the N52 is a great motor. I'd still have one if they kept building 3,000 lb cars with them. After 2009 everything got super heavy. Even the E89 came in at 3,500 lbs.
Reminds me of Kassel’s 318Ti n52 swap...
      01-28-2020, 01:48 PM   #829
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

We are on the cusp... 😭
Old Engine getting dropped today…
I goofed and now I have to get a newer MSV to accommodate the new crank case ventilation system in the newer n52. Didn't know the wiring harness differed... oopsie. With that, we have to clone my current DME and rewrite it to a MSV 80... I figured.... might as well send the cloned data to Bob to retune to account for the N54 manifold (thanks to Biginboca , this baby should sit perfectly flushed against the deck).

Having the MILVs swapped over, the hub/timing gears (I forget what they're called... sorry), and the sensors I replaced around 80k miles... (this newer n52 has 67k miles IIRC).

The only real setback is the DME issue and a broke off AC Compressor bolt sitting in the block...

I'm excited!

That flywheel is LIGHT. I know I'm gonna have an interesting time breaking in the new clutch for sure
Attached Images

Last edited by Noir; 01-28-2020 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
Torgus3779.00
dwashy64.50
      01-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #830
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Your car is going to be a beast! What is the weight of the new flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #831
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your car is going to be a beast! What is the weight of the new flywheel?
That bad boy weighs like 14 pounds dude! I was expecting it to be heavy still! The bag of cat food I just picked up weighs more than this fucking thing! I hope so dude! After I break this is in and enjoy it for a while- I want to work on suspension mods and put some change away to get a snow meth kit, the injectors, and get CobraMarty (RIP user account) to machine a pulley for me 🙃

But I think a good step moving forward would be to get me a set of wheels like yours... 8.5s get squirrely on a nice cool day when I floor it.. I just wonder what's a good width to stop at to avoid adding unnecessary weight while still efficiently putting power to the ground :
      01-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #832
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
That bad boy weighs like 14 pounds dude! I was expecting it to be heavy still! The bag of cat food I just picked up weighs more than this fucking thing! I hope so dude! After I break this is in and enjoy it for a while- I want to work on suspension mods and put some change away to get a snow meth kit, the injectors, and get CobraMarty (RIP user account) to machine a pulley for me 🙃

But I think a good step moving forward would be to get me a set of wheels like yours... 8.5s get squirrely on a nice cool day when I floor it.. I just wonder what's a good width to stop at to avoid adding unnecessary weight while still efficiently putting power to the ground :
Congrats on the progress man!

Yeah pulley + meth for sure ASAP!
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      01-29-2020, 01:46 AM   #833
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on the progress man!

Yeah pulley + meth for sure ASAP!
Thank you! Once I break everything in.... it's going down 😎
Torgus3779.00
      01-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #834
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

🥴 I'm ready. Also deleting the clutch delay valve.
Attached Images

Biginboca3759.50
Torgus3779.00
      02-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #835
carscatscoffee15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i ZED Package

Quote:
🥴 I'm ready. Also deleting the clutch delay valve.
where are you getting this done? im strongly considering doing this in my cars life but have a lot of questions. Will headers still not work on these (I have my stock manifolds just in case in my storage room) or was that something ESS couldn't get to work with their tune?
Mods Done: AA Exhaust/Headers | 3SIM | MILVs | StageFP Dyno Tuned | Euro Box Intake Swap | LCI Blackline Tailights | OEM Euro Bi-Xenon Swap from Halogen | Rear Bumper M-Sport Swap | Rear PDC Retrofit | BMW OEM CF Diffuser/Spoiler | BMW Front Aero Kit | Supersprint Sec 1 Cat Delete Straight Pipes

To Do: Ohlins R n T Suspension | Front/Rear Sway Bars | M3 Front Control Arms/Bushings

Eventually: AT -> MT Swap (!?)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #836
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
glad to see this is coming to fruition

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0