E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > ABS, 4x4, brake and warning symbol light on

11-09-2022, 08:09 PM   #1
Jtdellam
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi 2007

ABS, 4x4, brake and warning symbol light on

Bought a 2007 328xi last week. Had no problems until I was just driving back from the office and a handful of lights come on all of a sudden (see the picture). Connected an OBD to the car, but said there were no problems and when I shut off the car and turn it back on, the lights go away.

I tried the turning steering wheel all the way left and then all they way right trick while the lights were still on but to no avail. Car runs and drives completely fine regardless of whether lights are on or off and I hear no grinding noise at all upon starting the engine. This is the second time it's happened but it goes away if I restart the car.

Any ideas as to what it is? Thanks! Here's the picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

If you've already tried turning the wheel, it could be the steering angle sensor (bad or need to recalibrate) or a bad wheel speed sensor (more common). However, without the codes, you're driving blind. Scan the codes and it will tell you the culprit.
Appreciate 2
POBEP365.50
      11-12-2022, 02:06 AM   #3
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
If you've already tried turning the wheel, it could be the steering angle sensor (bad or need to recalibrate) or a bad wheel speed sensor (more common). However, without the codes, you're driving blind. Scan the codes and it will tell you the culprit.
+1 to ^.
scan codes.

most likely failed wheel speed sensor (common issue)

$40 / 15 min DIY with basic tools (8 & 10mm sockets, hex wrench)
      11-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
Jtdellam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBEP View Post
Quote:
+1 to ^.
scan codes.

most likely failed wheel speed sensor (common issue)

$40 / 15 min DIY with basic tools (8 & 10mm sockets, hex wrench)
Okay cool. I'll replace that. Also, I am getting a service engine light on too on top of these…it turns on at the same time that all the others do too. I plugged in obd to scan codes and when I scanned it, it said there were no codes to display. Any idea what this means??
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 06:36 PM   #5
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtdellam View Post
Okay cool. I'll replace that. Also, I am getting a service engine light on too on top of these…it turns on at the same time that all the others do too. I plugged in obd to scan codes and when I scanned it, it said there were no codes to display. Any idea what this means??
What brand/model scanner you have?
      11-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Note there are 4 wheel speed sensors, so you need a code reader capable of reading BMW DTCs, to pinpoint which one. The number of choices out there are vast now—just searching BMW scan tool will yield lots of results. ISTA-D (Rheingold) is still the gold standard though, if you plan on doing repairs yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2022, 06:54 AM   #7
Jtdellam
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Note there are 4 wheel speed sensors, so you need a code reader capable of reading BMW DTCs, to pinpoint which one. The number of choices out there are vast now—just searching BMW scan tool will yield lots of results. ISTA-D (Rheingold) is still the gold standard though, if you plan on doing repairs yourself.
Thanks. I ended up ordering a foxwell BMW scanner. It's coming tomorrow so I'll be able to scan codes then. Hopefully just a bad sensor.
Appreciate 1
POBEP365.50