E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2006 325i rough start/idle NO CODES

10-13-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
Kennybruv
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
My 2006 325i has been starting rough lately, on cold starts, warm starts, and sometimes idles weird. Just to note I did do a 3IM swap and I had trouble getting the oil separator to fit onto the new manifold so it is not mounted and I did "plug" the second hole on the manifold with duct tape. The disa valves are good, I just swapped the solenoids to another set and it did not improve the start ups or idle. Plugs were changed about 8k miles ago, but I did pull them today and noticed there is a little bit of oil in the well, which we had a problem before where we had to replace the gaskets to fix a oil leak in the wells. I do also notice while I'm giving light throttle the cars rpm seems to drop a little and hesitate instead of flowing through the Rpms this happens around 1500-2500. any help would greatly be appreciated because I am stumped with no Check engine light. I tried adding on the video of my cold start But it won't let me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Duct tape... = vacuum leak...
Appreciate 1
Suvorovo254.00
      10-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
Kennybruv
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I smoke tested through the intake and vacuum line, not sure if the smoke would reach the intake manifold. But I did discover a leak in the valvetronic.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Quote:
I'm sure he used Genuine BMW duct tape.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 09:58 PM   #5
PumpkinBimmer
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 N52

I know it sounds weird, but have you checked your purge valve? it can lead to improper combustion, as for the oil, try tightening that bolt in between the plug boots. the tube seals are separate from the outer vc gasket.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
Kennybruv
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorovo View Post
Quote:
I'm sure he used Genuine BMW duct tape.
Of course I did ! 😉
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
Kennybruv
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBimmer View Post
I know it sounds weird, but have you checked your purge valve? it can lead to improper combustion, as for the oil, try tightening that bolt in between the plug boots. the tube seals are separate from the outer vc gasket.
I actually haven't checked the purge valve. And what bolts are you referring too ? I know the VCG and seals are different because I've already replaced both.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybruv View Post
Quote:
I actually haven't checked the purge valve. And what bolts are you referring too ? I know the VCG and seals are different because I've already replaced both.
I think he is referring to a plastic valve cover which has the oil separator/CCV integegrated with a little nipple coming off of it… something you don't have. As far as the bolts, again something on the plastic valve cover, but they are grounds. Could be wrong though and he's referring to something entirely different.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 08:49 AM   #9
Kennybruv
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennybruv View Post
Quote:
I think he is referring to a plastic valve cover which has the oil separator/CCV integegrated with a little nipple coming off of it… something you don't have. As far as the bolts, again something on the plastic valve cover, but they are grounds. Could be wrong though and he's referring to something entirely different.
Gotcha. It seems like my vacuum is fixed because my rough idle is gone. I just put some temporary sealant around the valvetronic gasket. I still have a oil leak coming from this area that is burning off on my headers usually with some spirited driving. And now I have a slip going from 4th to 5th . I changed the tranny oil and found out it was pitch black (probably hasn't been changed at all within the last 160k)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0