E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > What is that in oil filter oil? Game Over?

11-29-2022, 05:02 PM   #1
Dom330i
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 E92

What is that in oil filter oil? Game Over?

Hello. So i got my self my dream car e92 330i auto. 67500 miles
Vavle cover was leaking OFH and cooler gasket too. Replace them. Drained old oil everything was lookig really good. No shiny things nothing bad.
Car was sitting for two weeks, was waiting for some parts.
Put back car together new oil gaskets etc. Car started missfired and didint start again for a week i try everything was tracing my steps back. Cranking but no start so i decided to chek fuel and BAM. WATER in fuel tank/system/injectors. I don't know how..fuel tank cap seal was cracked maybe rain got inside and also drain hole was blocked..i don't think any other option.
So drained everything, cleaned finally started. Done 70 miles just to check or everything is fine. Decided to change oil again beacause of water i was thinking it may get inside oil true piston rings. Beacose i was trying to start car on it for couple times..or more few..
So done one more oil change. And i found some particles flakes debris i dont really know how to explain cant feel between my fingers.
Car runs no knock or smoke.
So change filter done 150miles checked looks much less then first time.
Is that rod bearing or cylinders walls damaged? Thank you. Add images
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
Dom330i
Rep

I'm in wrong section guys? Sorry
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Those flakes look pretty aggressive for rod bearing failure. Any chance you installed the valvetronic motor incorrectly? There's a procedure to back out the worm gear during uninstall/install and a stop limit calibration procedure for the car. An incorrectly installed valvtronic motor could cause the worm gear to eat away at the eccentric shaft.

I can't think of anything else that would grenade your engine like that. Was there water when you changed the oil? Doesn't look like it from the pictures...

Any chance you installed the oil filter without the vanos cage or seal? Although that would cause start/idle problems instantly.
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
Dom330i
Rep

Hi, well i used a manual uninstall and installation with hex, let it calibrate by it self. It was fine then and its fine even right now. Runs well everything is fine. And these flakes don't seem to be metal, non magnetic. I swapped oil filter and it looked like there is less of them.

https://youtube.com/shorts/N-l4TezYZJI?feature=share

My YT video from yesterday.

I cut open my filters . Didn't see anything metal or shiny just old oil debris no flakes as in picture or in video..im lost..

Im was thinking maybe water washed piston rings. But engine runs totally fine no smoke no knock over 250 miles now. Not alot but i think if something wrong i would notice by now.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 02:56 PM   #5
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry not much more help... If you're not having an issue why not just flush out your engine with cheap oil several times, drop and clean the oil pan and oil pickup filter element, clean vanos check valves and hopefully you won't have bigger repairs.

Also, an oil analysis might show where those bits are coming from.

I've never heard of anyone having an issue like you descripted with these 06 n52.

Also, most of the engine is magnesium alloy. They won't be magnetic.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 01:50 AM   #6
Dom330i
Rep

Next week gonna take oil pan off. Till now car parked. Have no idea what is that..if thats parts of damaged cylinder walls or bearings engine wouldn't run right..but now everything looks fine. Just low rpm's 500 and small vibrations could be spark plugs or coils (one coil is different) apart that nothing strange. Thinking to check valvatronic gear and other bits around. 🤔
I'm lost..
Why filters don't have any shavings or any chunks of engine, but the oil from around the filter is full of it.
Thinking to take vanos solenoids and check them to.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 08:30 AM   #7
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom330i View Post
Next week gonna take oil pan off. Till now car parked. Have no idea what is that..if thats parts of damaged cylinder walls or bearings engine wouldn't run right..but now everything looks fine. Just low rpm's 500 and small vibrations could be spark plugs or coils (one coil is different) apart that nothing strange. Thinking to check valvatronic gear and other bits around. 🤔
I'm lost..
Why filters don't have any shavings or any chunks of engine, but the oil from around the filter is full of it.
Thinking to take vanos solenoids and check them to.
Vanos solenoids won't have debris. Your Vanos Check valves have the filter screen. Check those, $40 part x2.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 06:36 AM   #8
Dom330i
Rep

Just checked valves, bottom one was clean, top one have some debris, but nothing shining or metallic look. One bigger peace looked like black silicone sealant.
Checked valvetronic gear looks also fine, no missing chunks of gear.
Hopefully next week will be able to take oil pan off.
No idea where to check next..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep

Black silicone sealant? Did the old valve cover gasket/other gaskets you changed come out in one piece or did they fall apart? If they broke apart and ended up inside the engine, you'd have your answer then.

It would be nice if someone else on the forum could advise... His photos are pretty crazy.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
Dom330i
Rep

Well, oil filter housing gasket and cooler gasket was really bad, flat, very cracked, hard. And there was pretty bad oil leak..like real leak..all intake side block was covered in fresh. All bottom of car is covered in oil from those gaskets. All front of the engine also from cooler gasket. There was oil everywhere..
Valve cover gasket was replaced, date on gasket was 2019.
Will check filter tomorrow, have a run with a car for 30mins today..
Appreciate 1