E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > new TPMS isn't recognized and not able to reset with protools? 2010 e91 328i xdrive

04-08-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
ewrjontan
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3 Porsche 987 Cayman

new TPMS isn't recognized and not able to reset with protools? 2010 e91 328i xdrive

Hey all. So I recently had my RDC in my 2010 e91 328i x-drive (non I-drive) die. I was getting an inactive tpms light so I ended up replacing it with an rdc from a 2012 X5 that I pulled from a salvage yard. The part numbers matched up and I was able to connect just fine after driving a few miles and doing the reset procedure a few times. I purchased a bimmergeeks protools full license as I was under the impression that I would have to initialize the new module but ended up not needing it.

Anyways, the tpms was working perfectly fine with my winter wheels. Got my new tires installed on my other set of wheels along with new sensors from discount tire. Here is a link to the sensors they installed.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-acc...sensor/p/80963

I had the wheels off of the car and I told them I had the means of initializing the new sensors but apparently I was wrong. I am able to access the reset option with the BC stalk and have tried the procedure countless times. Driving, while driving, holding the button for 5 seconds etc; nothing. I have also tried the reset option in Pro tools which doesn’t seem to do anything; it says the system will be reset when the warning lights turn off which they never do.

So I am thinking maybe I should try and reset the rdc module. In pro tools, if I try to access the coding options it just says there is an error connecting to the RDC. If I try to do the factory reset of the module, it says it can’t connect. I’ve tried both of these options with only the ignition on and also with the engine running; no luck.

I did see on here that someone said they had to run the SG_Reset function in NCSexpert. If I scroll through the expert mode in protools (which is all in German, I don’t see why they aren’t able to translate these options on their front end user interface), I came across an option for “steuergeraete_reset” is this the same as sg_reset?

Does it reset everything? Like I mean everything or is this specific to a module? Is this the function I’m looking for? Any other ideas? I’m pretty pissed because so far Protools has been a complete waste of money. Could it be that the new sensors that were installed are not compatible? I plan to go to the shop to see if they can connect but they don’t have any openings until later in the week. In the mean time I am hoping I can get pro tools to actually do something worth while for me. I should have just said screw it and turned off the tpms 🥺
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 11:28 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Factory code dsc module. After replacement of rdc on E9X you must factory code the dsc
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 12:40 AM   #3
ewrjontan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Factory code dsc module. After replacement of rdc on E9X you must factory code the dsc
Oh ok. So would I then be able to open the coding menu/connect to the rdc module? I’ll give that a go in the morning.

Any ideas why I had no issues connecting when I replaced the module and used my old tpms sensors? I’m assuming the rdc was never truly connected but still somehow was receiving/outputting data from the tpms 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
ewrjontan
Private
Rep

Ok. So I went into pro tools and did a factory code of the dsc modules. Still receiving the same errors ie cannot read the rdc module.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 02:43 PM   #5
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Scan the car and post the error codes here
Appreciate 0