E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Rad Drain Sleeve - Tabs Holding?!

10-17-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

Rad Drain Sleeve - Tabs Holding?!

Folks I jumped the gun on a coolant flush, didn't read enough guides to realize that turning the hex around the plastic drain plug permanently destroys it.

I completed the flush and bleed and am driving the car (2010 328xi 6MT) but those tabs are definitely broken. I must have “loosened” that hex a full turn before realizing it wasn’t moving. The control sleeve was never removed.

Knowing that those tabs are broken, I don’t understand how the system is holding pressure. I fully expected to vomit coolant on the first drive but the car has been through 5+ heat cycles now with no leaks.

Does anyone have experience with this part? I know it is different from the auto version which apparently has a small hole to control coolant flow to the trans… from part diagrams I can’t tell if the MT version of the part has any hole at all. I kind of think it might be a dummy piece for AT/MT radiator compatibility in which case i might as well just RTV it in place.

I have a replacement part on order but it could be days or weeks from ECS (dealers here in Toronto want $150 for it). I don’t want to go the RTV route if I can avoid it so that the proper install is cleaner, but getting stranded on the side of the road over this doesn’t sound too fun either.

TLDR: broke the apparently infamous little tabs off while flushing coolant and don’t know if this part has any function for MT cars. Anyone experienced this and kept driving?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
mrjimyjohn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 328i xdrive

So does nobody know if this part has any real function in manual cars? Mine is still holding pressure and cooling system fully functional while I wait for the replacement coming.

Here is the MT version:

And auto:

Note the pinhole and extended length of the auto.
Appreciate 0