E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Non-iDrive to CCC Retrofit

04-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

Non-iDrive to CCC Retrofit

Hey Guys, Pretty new here.. Just been surfing around the forums learning from some absolute legends on here. Hoping to meet some of you soon in some car meets.

Anyway, Just wanted to get clarification from you guys and it might be a dumb question but if i had an 05 BMW E90 330i that can't be put back on the road. And i buy a 06 BMW E90 320i with no idrive whatsoever..

My understanding is the iDrive CAN be retrofitted but do i still need the extra bits? (ie Cooling pipe, Fan harness etc) or will i just find that stuff already there in the 330i when i start pulling it all apart?

Long story short i brought a 330i about a year ago now.. Didn't do all the right checks on it before purchase and found out it was a repairable write off. Seller ghosted me and i ended up leaving it sit there because i needed to focus cash on getting married.

Now that's out of the way I've returned to the idea of owning a BMW but don't want to go the sunken cost fallacy route and spend a bunch of money to get the one i have on the road.. BUT it does have a lot of goodies i could transplant into another car.. So i have a few 320i's in mind but basically none of them have any iDrive.. If i can use the CCC from it into new car.. Along with a bunch of other goodies (M sport wheel, seats etc) at least then i can salvage some of the money i put into buying it..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanssound View Post
Hey Guys, Pretty new here.. Just been surfing around the forums learning from some absolute legends on here. Hoping to meet some of you soon in some car meets.

Anyway, Just wanted to get clarification from you guys and it might be a dumb question but if i had an 05 BMW E90 330i that can't be put back on the road. And i buy a 06 BMW E90 320i with no idrive whatsoever..

My understanding is the iDrive CAN be retrofitted but do i still need the extra bits? (ie Cooling pipe, Fan harness etc) or will i just find that stuff already there in the 330i when i start pulling it all apart?

Long story short i brought a 330i about a year ago now.. Didn't do all the right checks on it before purchase and found out it was a repairable write off. Seller ghosted me and i ended up leaving it sit there because i needed to focus cash on getting married.

Now that's out of the way I've returned to the idea of owning a BMW but don't want to go the sunken cost fallacy route and spend a bunch of money to get the one i have on the road.. BUT it does have a lot of goodies i could transplant into another car.. So i have a few 320i's in mind but basically none of them have any iDrive.. If i can use the CCC from it into new car.. Along with a bunch of other goodies (M sport wheel, seats etc) at least then i can salvage some of the money i put into buying it..
Yep, I have personally done five non iDrive conversions.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
The attached PDF covers adding CCC to a car that did not come with it. BMW rarely included wiring for options the car did not come with. So you will need to add wiring for the screen and controller. The PDF shows where the factory connections for these wires go. Many simply attach the wiring to the corresponding power/ground/bus wiring on the back of the head unit.

Do test the CCC before starting the project. They are pretty unreliable because of their age. The most common issue is the DVD drive fails and can't read the map DVD. Also, the map DVD has not been updated since 2015.

And finally read about coding. You can't just swap the hardware from one car to another. Things will need to be programmed to work as expected.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf e90-idrive-retrofit.pdf (2.83 MB, 1482 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
The attached PDF covers adding CCC to a car that did not come with it. BMW rarely included wiring for options the car did not come with. So you will need to add wiring for the screen and controller. The PDF shows where the factory connections for these wires go. Many simply attach the wiring to the corresponding power/ground/bus wiring on the back of the head unit.

Do test the CCC before starting the project. They are pretty unreliable because of their age. The most common issue is the DVD drive fails and can't read the map DVD. Also, the map DVD has not been updated since 2015.

And finally read about coding. You can't just swap the hardware from one car to another. Things will need to be programmed to work as expected.
Perfect that's exactly what i needed to know. And yeah.. The navigation on the CCC is already whinging about a map dvd.. which i am fairly certain went missing before i even got the car.

Not a issue for me though.. I'm just looking to get everything roughly in there and then later do the upgrade to CIC or Android
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Getting everything in there nets you a lot of options. You can also go CCC w/ carplay
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Hey guys, so I did it. But not quite to the PDF.. I didn't want to cut up loom and I wanted to swap headlining anyway so I did dash, steering wheel, headlining (and all associated antennas), amp and the whole loom..

Made about 3 days worth of work for myself but it worked.. except the controller itself is not working and obviously no audio.. I understand the audio not working because I haven't done the programming yet but no response from the controller is a bit of a mystery

I thought maybe it's just a fuse my car doesn't have because it never had an idrive system but the 5A fuse is there in pin 8.. which is weird but anyway.. swapped it over regardless and no difference

Is this just likely because of no programming? And does anyone have a decent write up already on a base audio to HiFi system?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Thought i'd ask here as well since its more related to this sub forum but can anyone confirm if the wiring for an amp is present behind fuse box if your car never had one from factory?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #8
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Nope, if its not spec'd with the car, then no wiring.

The controller should work, if its from the same setup, check and see if the car can see it in inpa or ncsexpert.

it might be called zbe.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Nope, if its not spec'd with the car, then no wiring.

The controller should work, if its from the same setup, check and see if the car can see it in inpa or ncsexpert.

it might be called zbe.
Just to confirm.. I'm talking about any wiring behind the actual fusebox.. I have already transplanted the wiring loom (included MOST, CD changer, Head deck, controller, CID Screen, Antenna etc) And if you ARE talking about the wiring behind the fusebox.. Are you freaking serious? What else needs to be wired?

No ZBE in the list.. Was i meant to program something in NCS Expert to make it appear? My INPA Error Report: (I have already fixed the MOST errors and DME/Alternator error)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15_o...vRzWwIJ_U/view

Anyway i just spent $250 AU on a CCC Unit and 2nd hand amp.. So i guess this memo came a little late
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #10
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

The fuse box has like a multi plug arrangement so you can add stuff to it.

So if the transplant loom came with the fusebox connector then great, plug and play.

Pretty much all e9x series cars have the same fusebox, and options are added (power wise anyway), with the plugs.

Have a look at the pic below, if you have the power pin you can plug into the correct multi plug on the back and then fuse it up

Fingers crossed anyway mate.

When i did my EPS audio install, there was nothing there, i had to make the loom (for the speakers) and make the power / Gnd loom too.

INPA report will only show modules with errors, either try the UIF list or try loading NCSexpert and selecting e89 then look at the module list, that should show every module on the cars bus.

That's cheap money tbh, good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #11
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Don't get me wrong.. I'm appreciating your intel and it makes sense as to why everything it working (bar the audio and controller) but what confuses me is the original loom that ran from amp/boot area to speakers/head deck etc.. never connected to the back of the JBE.. Only to a big plug out of the front of it.

So from what you're telling me.. I have to run additional wiring from the back of the plug where the fuse goes in for controller/amp.. but where do they run to?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #12
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

sned some pics of the loom you have, with the plugs in shot and we can go from there

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:55 AM   #13
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
sned some pics of the loom you have, with the plugs in shot and we can go from there
These are going to be pretty crap photos.. And they are of the loom i pulled out of the car originally that never had the additional wiring for speakers/amp (As obviously the new one is in the car behind dash so can't really show that easily) But this should give you an idea of how much i pulled:
Name:  IMG_20200719_151416.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  435.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20200719_151420.jpg
Views: 2348
Size:  650.5 KB

This plug is the one I'm very interested to know more about: (ie: where does it go/what does it do?)
Name:  IMG_20200719_151436.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  267.2 KB

Because this one has the 12V Red/Green that goes from radio to under passengers footwell into what looks like behind the fusebox. Even more interesting it seems to have the green/brown K-DCAN wires that are from the controller (even though this one is the original loom that never had the controller)

Name:  IMG_20200719_151506.jpg
Views: 2389
Size:  546.4 KB

In this last image of my boot and the loom i CAN take a photo of you may notice an additional green/yellow wire that's not factory.. This is a new wire me and my brother in law decided yesterday evening to try and run from the Red/Green 12v wire behind the headunit and spliced into the amps Red/Purple wire and were able to get sound in the car.. Radio/CD/Door gongs/PDC.. all came back to life (It's now a CCC Unit not a MASK unit so it looks strange with the MASK screen BUT it works)..

We then did the same with the controller wiring and spliced the power for controller into the same 12v constant wire.. Found an earth.. the K-DCAN wires didn't need to be touched because they go to back of headunit.. and now i have controller too (Albeit the controller must be stuffed or need an internal clean because the spinning knob does not spin anymore) but it works.. sort of..

I'm not satisfied just to shut this off and say "job done" mind you.. I'm still pretty curious to know why this never worked on a loom that came from a navigation equipped car and it seems to me like the plug at pic #3 holds those secrets.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Hmmm, if you have it working i wouldn't worry to much.

Plug 3 looks like it could be the main power lead to the radio/ccc, but ive not seen a socket like that in the fusebox, so it must be another connector back there.

As you say it does have the canbus twisted pair.

I'd be tempted to power the red wire and see what happens or even bell it out .

Like you, i dont like loose ends...

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Brendanssound
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Plug 3 looks like it could be the main power lead to the radio/ccc, but ive not seen a socket like that in the fusebox, so it must be another connector back there.
Didn't come from Fusebox.. It was down in the passenger footwell behind the carpet and near the fusebox/JBE. (For the Americans out there.. This would be on drivers side) I vaguely remember there being 2 of these plugs back there.. maybe i switched them by mistake? Kind of doubt it though.. I was being very slow and careful.

Will check it out tomorrow before i put the passenger seat back for good..
Appreciate 0