E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > N53 upper radiator hose

05-24-2023, 05:59 AM   #1
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: e92 325i M Sport

N53 upper radiator hose

Hi,

I made the rookie mistake of removing the upper radiator hose from the oil filter housing while I changed the gaskets. The oring popped out along with the plastic centre and I had to buy a new one.

I've got the new hose, but I'm a little concerned the same will happen to this connection when I remove it (see picture - sorry if it's massive )

Has anyone replaced the upper hose on here?
Will this connection cause me some grief?

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 01:31 AM   #2
Marlo325
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

Did that hose give you any more trouble? Going to replace my oil cooler and oil filter housing gaskets soon, and I'm not sure if I want to remove that hose after reading this.
I guess I will get some oil on it if I don't remove it, and that's not good..
What would you do different if you were doing this job again?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

My filter was leaking for a while so I wanted to take off the housing completely so I could give it a proper clean.

The secondary hose I circled was no trouble to get off, but doesn't seem as tight as it was, now it's fitted to the new upper hose. I haven't driven enough yet to tell if it's leaking but looked dry after a couple of trips out.

I was surprised to find that my coolant was pretty contaminated after this job though, some oil must have gone down the wrong passage, so plan to flush with distilled water first before topping up with coolant. If you've got an electric water pump, there's a bleeding procedure that doesn't involved running the engine.

Also the small hose that runs across the top of the radiator can be slipped off without breaking the clip, and I managed to push it back on snug no problem.

Tbh, the 2 things that make this job a pain are removing the splash tray under the engine, and getting the rear housing bolt out that's under the intake. Buy this part and used some 1/4 inch extensions.

CTA 2476

Haven't found it in the UK but it's on eBay shipped from the US. Wouldn't have been able to do the job without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 03:34 AM   #4
Marlo325
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 325i

I don't have a bad leak(yet), but I want to replace the gaskets before it gets worse. I actually already ordered that exact e10 socket from ebay a few days ago, after trying a 1/4 swivel adapter on a normal 1/4 e10 socket.

Glad to hear you used the same e10 I ordered and I will replace the gaskets as soon as I get it. Still not sure if I should order that hose from ofh to radiator and replace it or just leave it alone. Already replaced the mickey mouse hose, so I have done the bleeding procedure before.

Did you prime the engine? I haven't heard of seizing problems with the n53, but I think I will do it anyway just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #5
e92_josh
Enlisted Member
England
Rep

Hey, I poured some oil into the filter housing and coated the filter a little during topping up the oil.

If you don't have too bad a leak, and the hose isn't leaking then I'd just leave it alone. You'll need to remove the Mickey mouse flange to get the oil cooler off easier, but if you've replaced it with a metal one it shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 04:01 AM   #6
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quite often if it has leaked oil from the cooler it will have damaged the rubber on the top hose where the metal clip holds the pipe on the end usually underneath.

I have replaced the top hose a couple of times where this has happen without to much problem. I will often use silicone spray to help things wither come apart or put back together.. Nothing beats bait of lube!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2023, 04:02 AM   #7
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quite often if it has leaked oil from the cooler it will have damaged the rubber on the top hose where the metal clip holds the pipe on the end usually underneath.

I have replaced the top hose a couple of times where this has happened without too much problem.

I will often use silicone spray to help things wither come apart or put back together.. Nothing beats bait of lube!
Appreciate 0