E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 Self Dimming Side Mirror Retrofit

03-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Nickdot
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335d & Megane 225 Trophy

E90 Self Dimming Side Mirror Retrofit

Hi guys,

I'm looking into the feasibility of retrofitting side auto-dimming mirrors to my LCI E90.

I already have a self dimming rear-view, and power/folding side mirrors.

I've picked up a cheap self-dimming side mirror on eBay, and have been comparing the wiring etc with my own. Other than swapping the internal mirror harness and the glass itself, there aren't any other physical differences on the surface.

Both wire back to the 3-pin door connector with seemingly the same wires - there aren't any additional wires back to the door in the dimming loom.

I've had a look at the coding as well (if any is actually required). I can see there is an option code for self dimming sides + rear view ($430), but would anyone know if this would be correct, and what module(s) would need coding with the new VO?

I've plugged it in to see if it worked straight off the bat, but no luck unfortunately.
The rear dims, but the side doesn't;

Anyone know what might be involved?
There really isn't a huge amount I can find online regarding this retrofit - so I'm hoping someone here has experience!

Cheers!

Last edited by Nickdot; 03-30-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:36 PM   #2
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Everything is done over the canbus so it is plug and play + coding.

You'll need to add the option to the VO and re code the CAS FRM and the JBBV or whatever it is at a guess. I would start with following a cruise control retrofit guide and coding the same modules that are recommended in that process.

Sorry not good with the coding. I'm sure someone clued up will come along and chip in. But it might give you somewhere to start.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Nickdot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
Everything is done over the canbus so it is plug and play + coding.

You'll need to add the option to the VO and re code the CAS FRM and the JBBV or whatever it is at a guess. I would start with following a cruise control retrofit guide and coding the same modules that are recommended in that process.

Sorry not good with the coding. I'm sure someone clued up will come along and chip in. But it might give you somewhere to start.
Thanks mate - understood.

I've done a bit more reading and it makes a bit more sense.
The 3 wire mirrors use the LIN bus, and as such (as you said) should just be plug in and code.

I might have a mess around tomorrow with editing the VO and coding the modules - I tried today, but only went with the CAS.

In the meantime, if anyone knows the modules that need attention, it would be massively appreciated!

Will report back! Cheers

Last edited by Nickdot; 03-30-2021 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Nickdot
Private
Rep

Sorted.

This time around, I simply added $430 to the VO, and didn't remove $431 (I presumed this would fail the FA_WRITE if it wasn't possible to have both).

I recoded the CAS, NFRM and 2JBBF to stock then recoded my bits in - I must stress that you also need the window/mirror switches in the drivers door connected before anything will work - I nearly gave up until I plugged this in and it worked first time.

So either I was doing something stupid yesterday (as I thought they would just be plug and play), or what I've done today has solved it.

For anyone wanting to complete this retrofit, it's super simple to do if you can just swap the mirrors over. I wanted to keep my Shadowline painted trim, so swapped the internal mirror loom and control box over. I couldn't see any way of removing the connector for the folding motor, so had to snip/solder the wires - not a big issue, but something to note.

A used pair of self dimming mirrors can be had for < £100 on eBay (I bought mine individually) - just keep an eye out for the rim around the mirror glass, this means its electrochromatic. As long as your car is running 3 pin mirrors with power and folding, it should be as easy as that.

As a final note, try not to break the electrochromatic mirror glass if removing it from the donor mirror... you'll need to be seated to look up the price new.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nickdot; 03-31-2021 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 01:49 AM   #5
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

My car came with these from new, very nice they are too. I did look up the cost of a replacement glass out of interest.......WOW! Needless to say, always fold them when parked.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
MrCav330d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI 330d

@Nickdot I wondered if you could help me with the retrofit, I have installed the wing mirrors however the coding part is where I am having difficulties. What does it mean to recode the modules back to stock, and how do I code in the bits required for the hardware to work.
Appreciate 0