E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Zaino ZPC hazed, can't remove, help!!!!!

10-29-2007, 06:53 PM   #45
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 sedan, jet black

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I'm glad the FPII worked out well for you. In terms of ZPC, don't worry too much about why it didn't work. What's important is that you found a product and process that do work for you, and your paint looks all the better for it.

In terms of ZAIO, if you are planning to use ZFX with your Z2, then you don't need ZAIO. If you will not be using ZFX, then you will absolutely need ZAIO. If you haven't already done so, I would do a Z7/any other car wash after the FPII and before ZAIO/Z2 step.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I did forget to mention that after I completed the Menzerna FP II application, I did a dawn wash on the car. I washed it over, let the dawn soak on the car, rinsed, and washed again in reverse order of the first time and let it soak and rinsed.

I also plan to use the ZFX with my Z2. I was not sure if this combination would bond to the trim and other items if there was any wax residue left over. It seems like it can go either way and there is no "best way" to apply.

I am still undecided. If I do Z-AIO, then it will be one coat of AIO and 2 coats of Z2 pro with ZFX. If not Z-AIO, then 3 coats of Z2 pro with ZFX.

Below is a picture after the wash and before the wipe down with Z6 and before application of Z2. Much shinier than the first posts you have to admit even though the picture isn't very well lit.

Thanks for the help. I hope to close this out soon with victory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #46
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

That looks awesome!!! The FP2 looks like it worked flawlessly. Your paint looks perfect. Congrats on the great job! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #47
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Is that picture of a wet or dry car? IF dry, that looks like you got it right!!!

ZFX just helps speed up the Z2/5 curing process, so you can apply more than one coat in a day. But I wouldn't use it on the non-painted surfaces of your trim, like the exterior of the B pillar. Those will need something else though, after all the Dawn you've used. And don't forget to seal the wheels with something, at least the Z2.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #48
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

i thought i had just run into the same problem with the hazing of Z-PC, but after i applied Z-5 it looks pristine!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #49
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Done...I think!

This picture is after three coats of Zaino Z2 pro with ZFX and a wipe down after each coat followed up with Z8.

There were some additional scrathes left from buffing because I made the rookie mistake of applying too much Z2 each time and it required more work. There was also some dulless and residue left as a result of this. I will have to work on my application techniques.

I can now notice the small dots in the paint even under lights in the parking lot as well as with my halogens. I hope to look tomorrow in the daylight to see if they show.

I plan to look under the rear license plate holder to indeed see if this is a paint issue or from the dealership's poor detailing job.

I have some final questions. How do you apply the Zaino and get coverage while simultaneously not "seeing" it on the car. People say to apply but not see product. During each application, if I didn't see product on the car I also could not feel it going on and therefore applied more. The result is too much Z2.

Next, how do I tell if I have a good coating on the car and didn't wipe it off before fully cured? Is there a finger wipe test or water test that tells me if I have protection.

My next step will be to clean my wheels and apply a coating of Zaino AIO to those. I will do that during my next wash. I might hit some of the light scratches with the AIO as well and reapply some Z2 in those areas just for piece of mind.

Thanks again. This wasn't easy and I have over 30 hours in this project. The end results are "OK", but will be better next time. I ran out of patience and didn't go back to clean some of the polishes out of cracks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #50
mrh335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Is that picture of a wet or dry car? IF dry, that looks like you got it right!!!

ZFX just helps speed up the Z2/5 curing process, so you can apply more than one coat in a day. But I wouldn't use it on the non-painted surfaces of your trim, like the exterior of the B pillar. Those will need something else though, after all the Dawn you've used. And don't forget to seal the wheels with something, at least the Z2.
That is a picture of the dry car. I think the lighting makes it look pretty good. Working by halogen is not easy. The true test will be when I am able to take it out on a sunny day. Kind of hard considering how early it gets dark in the Chicago area now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #51
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I have to be honest, the number one reason I stay away from Zaino products is the complexity of the application. Everything has to be done absolutely perfectly....with little to no room for error.

My Mezerna and poorboys products that I got from George are a great combination, and imo offer the same look and protection that Zaino offers, without any where near the hassle.
      10-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #52
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I used to be a carnuba guy, but there was so much mess after it, and even after some experience I just couldn't keep wax out of places it shouldn't be. Zaino was by far so much easier to apply that, imo, there is no comparison.

Re: the Z2 application, there will be a slight hazing if you put some on. I think part of the reason it gets better with 6 vs. 2 coats is that you do get total coverage. The amount of pressure I have to use to remove afterwards is so minimal I don't worry about scratching, as long as I have inspected my MF towel for foreign bodies before starting.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #53
BimmerFan61
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
I have to be honest, the number one reason I stay away from Zaino products is the complexity of the application. Everything has to be done absolutely perfectly....with little to no room for error.

My Mezerna and poorboys products that I got from George are a great combination, and imo offer the same look and protection that Zaino offers, without any where near the hassle.
I have to disagree. Back in the day when you had to let it sit, yes. But now its really easy.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #54
335i_Danny
Casual Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Don't forget to clean and treat your wheel wells. Clean with some auto wash (I use P21S and then spray some Zaino Z-7.

Paint looks absolutely awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #55
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
hmm I gotta disagree with you on this one zaino is pretty damn easy to use even if your a newbie to the whole thing. I think most people get confused on the steps of zaino rather then applying it. I mean I guess if you have no clue as to what to do then yes it can be hard to use but once you know how to do its as simple as anything you can buy off the shelf.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #56
335i_Danny
Casual Observer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

The way the products used to be 5 years ago, you could streak up your paint pretty badly and have a task ahead of you removing the product. But now the products are actually pretty easy to use for the level of protection you get.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #57
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Damn. After reading this I checked my jet black more carefully. ZPC really leaves some haze. When looking the surface directly it seems to be flawless but when I look vertical surfaces from angle below or above I can see some mild haze. So this means that I could do better job polishing my car and because I'm so anal I ordered Menzerna Final Polish right away from Detailed Image. I hope it will work out for me as well. These dark colors of new BMWs are very soft and maybe it is the reason for hazing even with fairly mild polish like ZPC. I wonder how ZPC would work with black finishing pad?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #58
DPritchett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

Garage List
2006 E90 325xi  [0.00]
From the product page on the Zaino website:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I used Z-PC and now the paint looks hazy. Is this normal?
Dark color surfaces, especially black, will sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion does not have any fillers or oils. To make the surface crystal clear, apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 to make this milky look go away, leaving a perfect, crisp, clear, BLACK and scratch free finish.

2006 325xi |SG - Terra - Walnut | Steptronic | Premium Package - Nav | Zenon Adaptive Headlights | Blacklines; iPod Adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #59
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn View Post
Damn. After reading this I checked my jet black more carefully. ZPC really leaves some haze. When looking the surface directly it seems to be flawless but when I look vertical surfaces from angle below or above I can see some mild haze. So this means that I could do better job polishing my car and because I'm so anal I ordered Menzerna Final Polish right away from Detailed Image. I hope it will work out for me as well. These dark colors of new BMWs are very soft and maybe it is the reason for hazing even with fairly mild polish like ZPC. I wonder how ZPC would work with black finishing pad?
If you haven't already ordered the FP, try some PO85RD. On a scale of 1-5, the cut is 1 but the gloss is 5+. It will remove all the micro-marring you're seeing very easily and leave the paint looking very glossy.
      12-05-2007, 12:26 AM   #60
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
If you haven't already ordered the FP, try some PO85RD. On a scale of 1-5, the cut is 1 but the gloss is 5+. It will remove all the micro-marring you're seeing very easily and leave the paint looking very glossy.
Actually PO85RD cut is 1.5 and FP is 1.0. I thought about PO85RD first because it is new product but it is designed for scratch resistant clear coats. My clear is far from scratch resistant so I thought this product may have too much cutting power even with cut rate 1.5.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #61
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPritchett View Post
From the product page on the Zaino website:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

I used Z-PC and now the paint looks hazy. Is this normal?
Dark color surfaces, especially black, will sometimes leave you with a slightly hazy or milky surface after using Z-PC. Z-PC Fusion does not have any fillers or oils. To make the surface crystal clear, apply your ZFX enabled Z2 or Z5 to make this milky look go away, leaving a perfect, crisp, clear, BLACK and scratch free finish.
I know this and I waxed my car with Z5 and Z2 after polishing but it didn't help. Also Z2 and Z5 are sealants not polishes so basically they may hide the problem but not take it away.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #62
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
Actually PO85RD cut is 1.5 and FP is 1.0. I thought about PO85RD first because it is new product but it is designed for scratch resistant clear coats. My clear is far from scratch resistant so I thought this product may have too much cutting power even with cut rate 1.5.
Nah, you will be fine. I use it right now on my crappy Ford paint, and it doesn't cut as much as you think. Besides, it's the gloss factor that you want . Even though they say it's for Merc ceramic clear coat, it's fine for use on "regular" paint.

If you mail me a small empty container (small travel size ones) and a couple bucks for postage and an envelope, I'll mail you back some PO85RD so you can try it. PM me if you're interested.
      12-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #63
san~man
Tired
Rep

Quote:
According to this guide, FP is cut 3 (unless you're using FPII)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html
      12-05-2007, 01:24 AM   #64
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
According to this guide, FP is cut 3 (unless you're using FPII)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html
Oh yes, I meant FPII.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #65
san~man
Tired
Rep

Interestingly enough, that guide shows the FPII grit as 2500, while the PO85RD grit is 3000, but gives the cut of the FPII as less than the PO85RD?
      12-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #66
FlyingFinn
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly enough, that guide shows the FPII grit as 2500, while the PO85RD grit is 3000, but gives the cut of the FPII as less than the PO85RD?

Yeah, that's odd. Maybe the cutting material is harder in PO85RD but not as coarse as in FPII.
Appreciate 0