E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Getting V4 AE's installed soon. Need color advice

01-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Getting V4 AE's installed soon. Need color advice

Hey so basically my next mod is going to be getting the Umnitza V4's installed along with painting the headlights. Only problem is I can't figure out what color scheme to do... I was planning on doing the headlight housing in grey with the projector housing and turn signal in black because I think it would go well with space grey. I was set on that but now after seeing this blue car with that color scheme i'm unsure...

I know blue vs a space grey car is different but i'm still a bit undecided... Anyone have any suggestions? I think i definitely don't want to go full blackout. Also is there anyone that could maybe photoshop them so I could see how they look?

Most recent pics of my car:

Where I originally got the grey/black idea from:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553023

And this is what made me unsure:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=156
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Ok here's my take on headlight work like this.

I used to think it was cool, which it is, but it's definitely not something I would want on my car as it screams aftermarket.

1) The lights look great when on, however when off, I HATE, and I mean absolutely HATE how ugly the yellowish rings appear. (see first pic in first link you gave)

2) Like I said, because of that, they look extremely aftermarket and not my cup of tea.

What is cool I think (but never seen mounted) is a blackout with the rings themselves black. That way when off, the yellowish look doesn't exist and the entire headlight housing is black.

All of that is why I personally went with the Lux (which I think you have). I would have gone V2 rings with no blackout but couldn't bring myself to spend double what I would have or more on the Lux
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
Ok here's my take on headlight work like this.

I used to think it was cool, which it is, but it's definitely not something I would want on my car as it screams aftermarket.

1) The lights look great when on, however when off, I HATE, and I mean absolutely HATE how ugly the yellowish rings appear. (see first pic in first link you gave)

2) Like I said, because of that, they look extremely aftermarket and not my cup of tea.

What is cool I think (but never seen mounted) is a blackout with the rings themselves black. That way when off, the yellowish look doesn't exist and the entire headlight housing is black.

All of that is why I personally went with the Lux (which I think you have). I would have gone V2 rings with no blackout but couldn't bring myself to spend double what I would have or more on the Lux
I love the lux but hate how unless you're looking at them head on from a few feet away they don't fill the rings evenly... I see what you're saying with the yellowing when they're off but it's not that bad. I think it might not look as bad in person but I could be wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's true it may not be that bad in person.

I just think the OEM design kind of "hides" the rings, and I like that a lot. When you do the blackout or grey out or any custom paint AND change the rings to the LED that are yellow when off, it really compromises that "hidden" look I love.

Then again, I agree 100% that the Lux aren't the end all be all. I really can't see them at all within 10 feet or so in daylight. Fortunately no one ever gets that close to the car anyhow and it obviously bothers us more than the average person.

So that's why I love my Lux, they are literally perfect in my eyes that they retain the OEM look, and are a better color that more closely resembles newer angel eyes.

If I had the money, I would have for sure spent the 550 for OSS to install the rings and NOT do the blackout, simply because I love the clear and clean OEM look.

But if I had a badass M3 with lots of other black accents, then I would go this route.

It does the blackout + blackout rings, therefore kind of retaining that "hidden" AE aspect I love of the OEM design, just in black.

ACM Blackout + Blackout Rings

But that would have run me 4X the price of Lux, wasn't willing to plunge that hard on a mod like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's true it may not be that bad in person.

I just think the OEM design kind of "hides" the rings, and I like that a lot. When you do the blackout or grey out or any custom paint AND change the rings to the LED that are yellow when off, it really compromises that "hidden" look I love.

Then again, I agree 100% that the Lux aren't the end all be all. I really can't see them at all within 10 feet or so in daylight. Fortunately no one ever gets that close to the car anyhow and it obviously bothers us more than the average person.

So that's why I love my Lux, they are literally perfect in my eyes that they retain the OEM look, and are a better color that more closely resembles newer angel eyes.

If I had the money, I would have for sure spent the 550 for OSS to install the rings and NOT do the blackout, simply because I love the clear and clean OEM look.

But if I had a badass M3 with lots of other black accents, then I would go this route.

It does the blackout + blackout rings, therefore kind of retaining that "hidden" AE aspect I love of the OEM design, just in black.

ACM Blackout + Blackout Rings

But that would have run me 4X the price of Lux, wasn't willing to plunge that hard on a mod like that.

Wow those blackout rings look really good... Are there any pictures of them installed or on?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I WISH! Or it may have made me actually go for them! They would obviously look like any other OSS or ACM light when ON, but OFF pictures would be interesting.

I'll link you to the thread, there are a few shots of them on but not mounted.

I believe I posted in the thread for a pic of them mounted but never got a response. Someone has to have them mounted somewhere. PM anyone at ACM and see if they have any more pics.

But they're so unique that's another reason why I really thought about doing them.

Thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...Acm+angel+eyes

more pics

And again these are all for a coupe since it's what I had researched, but I'm sure it can be done on the sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I wonder how they did the blackout rings? Maybe i'll see if the guy doing mine can do it although idk if i'd want it to look like no angel eyes when they're off... I don't want the yellow but I don't want it to look like they're non-existent either
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Op, please let me know how are you going to open up the E90 headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Op, please let me know how are you going to open up the E90 headlights.
I'm not going to do it theres a guy local to me who's going to do it. Idk exactly how you do it but i know of a few people/shops you can ask if you want to diy. I know lightmodz in new jersey opens up the e90 lci headlights without cutting them
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
I'm not going to do it theres a guy local to me who's going to do it. Idk exactly how you do it but i know of a few people/shops you can ask if you want to diy. I know lightmodz in new jersey opens up the e90 lci headlights without cutting them
Yeah, I've already tried to open one and failed pretty badly lol. By the time I got it opened the channels where the sealant goes to is destroyed by prying it with heat.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I've already tried to open one and failed pretty badly lol. By the time I got it opened the channels where the sealant goes to is destroyed by prying it with heat.
Yea I have no idea how they do it but this is basically the email Lightmodz sent me when I asked them how they did it. Seems like they have a solid method of doing it

Quote:
Peter,

Thank you for contacting LIGHTMODZ. The E90 Lights are permasealed. This makes opening the headlights to modify the internals much more difficult and time consuming. The permasealed lights use a sealant that is permanently cured and does not soften when baked in the oven like other headlights that use the standard Butyl sealant. We use a very tedious and time consuming process to open the lights and then remove the permaseal in the channels and replace it with the Butyl Sealant. This process takes about 1.5 days and 2 people working on it. Once this is done. All the internals can be modified like any other headlight, (ie. painting, LED Angel Eye installation or anything else your heart desires). After the modifications are done, the headlights can be closed normally and will be sealed thoroughly as to prevent any condensation. This method also leaves the outside of the light much more aesthetically pleasing and nicer than when other vendors open the permasealed headlights by literally cutting them open with a dremel and resealing the seam with bathroom silicone caulk. Its hideous. You can see a comparison here ---> Comparison Post.
We need the headlights for at least two or three days in order to complete this process successfully. I've attached an Estimate for you to look over. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards
Jay
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I WISH! Or it may have made me actually go for them! They would obviously look like any other OSS or ACM light when ON, but OFF pictures would be interesting.

I'll link you to the thread, there are a few shots of them on but not mounted.

I believe I posted in the thread for a pic of them mounted but never got a response. Someone has to have them mounted somewhere. PM anyone at ACM and see if they have any more pics.

But they're so unique that's another reason why I really thought about doing them.

Thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...Acm+angel+eyes

more pics

And again these are all for a coupe since it's what I had researched, but I'm sure it can be done on the sedan
I just emailed the people who do the headlights for ACM. I'll let you know if/when i get a response. I'm actually really considering the black rings now... I just hope they have black V4's and I need to see some more pics first. I also kinda like the cf on that shroud... I might consider doing that on the cornering light housing.

Anyone have idea's on color or think that the grey/black would look good?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #13
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nice man! You'll seriously be the first to do this or one of the first! Idk how the E90 lights are, but in place of the CF maybe you could do space gray? Keep everything else black?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
Wei718
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yea I have no idea how they do it but this is basically the email Lightmodz sent me when I asked them how they did it. Seems like they have a solid method of doing it
They sure do sound like it! If you don't mind, get me some pic's of your housing once completed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They sure do sound like it! If you don't mind, get me some pic's of your housing once completed.
If I do it I will definitely post up a lot of pics

Quote:
Nice man! You'll seriously be the first to do this or one of the first! Idk how the E90 lights are, but in place of the CF maybe you could do space gray? Keep everything else black?
Idk i was kinda leaning away from a full blackout... I think i'm going to do a matte finish space grey on the headlight housing and eyebrow then black projector housings and turn signal?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Idk, I've never seen a two tone light mounted or not mounted that I thought looked good.

Again, I like the OEM design and that type of stuff just screams aftermarket.

But whatever you go with will be a head turner for sure. If it were me, I'd leave the housing chrome and just do the rings.

I wish other people would chime in lol. I don't want to be the person telling you which way you should go without a second opinion haha.

In the end ACM or OSS can hook you up. It's whether or not you want people knowing your lights are aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Idk, I've never seen a two tone light mounted or not mounted that I thought looked good.

Again, I like the OEM design and that type of stuff just screams aftermarket.

But whatever you go with will be a head turner for sure. If it were me, I'd leave the housing chrome and just do the rings.

I wish other people would chime in lol. I don't want to be the person telling you which way you should go without a second opinion haha.

In the end ACM or OSS can hook you up. It's whether or not you want people knowing your lights are aftermarket.
Haha I wish others would chime in too and maybe photoshop but whatever. I don't really mind if they look aftermarket I just want a nice bright angel eye that looks good at night and in direct sunlight. I assume lightmodz is off for the holiday so i'll probably make my decision based on their response. I really like the black rings but have to see them on a car before I could decide on them
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Just send your headlights to someone qualified. OSS is the best in the market and was the first to do this. Also, don't make a big deal on the color selections. Just do what you think would look good, not people on the forum's opinion. I still say you need a new rear bumper first...yours is damaged. Go OEM too
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Just send your headlights to someone qualified. OSS is the best in the market and was the first to do this. Also, don't make a big deal on the color selections. Just do what you think would look good, not people on the forum's opinion. I still say you need a new rear bumper first...yours is damaged. Go OEM too
Well front is fine back is damaged.. That's definitely next though. OEM is definitely a possibility depending on price difference when the time comes. If you could do a photoshop of the headlights on my car that would be awesome but if not don't worry about it. OSS is definitely best but i'd rather someone local so I don't have to pay to ship it down to them and have all the downtime of no headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #20
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Well front is fine back is damaged.. That's definitely next though. OEM is definitely a possibility depending on price difference when the time comes. If you could do a photoshop of the headlights on my car that would be awesome but if not don't worry about it. OSS is definitely best but i'd rather someone local so I don't have to pay to ship it down to them and have all the downtime of no headlights.
Well you better do it quick! I would hate to have the damage on my car and would do that first in a second. OEM all the way or don't do it at all with regards to that. I would still go with Luis@OSS seriously. Just do it right the first time. I mean look at this:

Last edited by E90Company; 01-20-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Well you better do it quick! I would hate to have the damage on my car and would do that first in a second. OEM all the way or don't do it at all with regards to that. I would still go with Luis@OSS seriously. Just do it right the first time. I mean look at this:

Haha yea yours do look amazing. The damage on the back isn't too bad i've dealt with it since the day I bought the car. Definitely getting replaced soon though, just need some more $$$
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
335iAP
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 & F26

Even with the uneven lighting, I still like Lux better. OSS just looks a little too aftermarket. I realize they're expensive and high quality work but it looks kind of tacky.
Appreciate 0