E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > A Little Confused - Looking for Some Basic Answers (clarity) Different Cable Options

12-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Lightbulb A Little Confused - Looking for Some Basic Answers (clarity) Different Cable Options

Hi Everyone,

I have been searching & reading a lot on these forums and there are just a couple things that don't make sense to me; but first of all:

I have a

2007 335i Coupe (12/2006 build date)

my gf has a

2008 323i Sedan (unsure of build date at this moment)

I want to buy ONE cable that will let me take care of both cars, my understanding is that is easily acquired with one such as the one from the link in the sticky thread here:

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

However before I pull the trigger and order this cable I have some questions.

For my 335i I want to eventually do the BMS DME FLASH TUNE found here:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563

Will this cable allow me to do that as well?

I want to be able to read all codes/do coding/do that DME flash tune with the ONE cable and I haven't been able to confirm that is possible.... or I would have ordered it by now.

Also - will the above cable allow me to code new injectors should I have to install some on my 335i?

In the thread for the flash tune they recommend BMS' cable which allows code reading for only 1 VIN for the cheapest option @ $179.... so my question is if the above cable is so good and allows unlimited VINs for code reading AND also lets you do the DME flash tunes, then why would anybody ever buy the BMS cable????

I have nothing against BMS, I have purchased several products directly from Terry (JB4, DCI, DP, OCC, CDV). I'm just confused with regards to the pricing around his cable which has made me question whether or not you could do all of the above with the linked cable?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opo View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching & reading a lot on these forums and there are just a couple things that don't make sense to me; but first of all:

I have a

2007 335i Coupe (12/2006 build date)

my gf has a

2008 323i Sedan (unsure of build date at this moment)

I want to buy ONE cable that will let me take care of both cars, my understanding is that is easily acquired with one such as the one from the link in the sticky thread here:

http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

However before I pull the trigger and order this cable I have some questions.

For my 335i I want to eventually do the BMS DME FLASH TUNE found here:

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20563

Will this cable allow me to do that as well?

I want to be able to read all codes/do coding/do that DME flash tune with the ONE cable and I haven't been able to confirm that is possible.... or I would have ordered it by now.

Also - will the above cable allow me to code new injectors should I have to install some on my 335i?

In the thread for the flash tune they recommend BMS' cable which allows code reading for only 1 VIN for the cheapest option @ $179.... so my question is if the above cable is so good and allows unlimited VINs for code reading AND also lets you do the DME flash tunes, then why would anybody ever buy the BMS cable????

I have nothing against BMS, I have purchased several products directly from Terry (JB4, DCI, DP, OCC, CDV). I'm just confused with regards to the pricing around his cable which has made me question whether or not you could do all of the above with the linked cable?
The K+DCAN cable only works with BMW software for coding, diagnostics, etc. The Bavarian Technic cable works with its own diagnostic software as well as the free flash tune. It's not possible to do everything with one cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Has anybody successfully unlocked a BT cable? The vin has to be stored in an EEPROM within the cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

I'm somewhat surprised the K+DCAN (one stop electronics brand) is incapable of implementing the DME flash tunes, but thanks for confirming.

At least the software for implementing the DME flash tunes does not use up your available VINs for the cable so you can do as many as you want with the BT cable but only use it to diagnose 1 car ($179 version...)

Looks like I'll be buying the 1 VIN version of the BT cable ($179) AND the one stop electronics brand of the K+DCAN cable ($99) to fulfill my needs.

I guess you could be safe with one of the $30-$50 K+DCAN cables from eBay if you only plan on using it for diagnostics and only a little coding...? Since you won't be using it to do something as sensitive such as DME flash tunes..
Appreciate 0