E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > MacEwen's E85 ethanol content

04-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Captain Canuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

MacEwen's E85 ethanol content

Hey folks, I've been running an E85 blend in my car for a little while now. I'm in Ottawa and as far as I know it's only available at the MacEwen at Bank and the Queensway. I live in the 'burbs but pass by on my way to hockey every week so stop in and top up with E85. Logs look good running a 95 octane MHD tune with a mix of Petro 94 and E85.

I've heard they lower the ethanol content of E85 in the winter, but was curious what the winter content of ethanol is and when they change it so I sent MacEwen a few emails and someone called me back today. The fellow I spoke to said they lower the ethanol content to 55% from November to March and do E85 from April to November. He said 55% was he lowest they've gone, and that they switched to the summer blend at the beginning of the month.

After I got off the phone I wished I had asked if they test the octane rating of their ethanol or E85 blend as I've heard different numbers. I've got the number on my phone so I think I'll call back tomorrow and see. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Anyway, thought this might be useful information for those running E85 to help figure out their ethanol content.
Appreciate 0