E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > WTB: RWD 6MT Sport pkg E90/91 [edit: found]

03-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
BryanH
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan (6MT), MR2T

WTB: RWD 6MT Sport pkg E90/91 [edit: found]

Might as well put this out there and see what happens. 🙂 I've been cross-shopping against the '07-08 G35 Sport sedan but have yet to find a decent manual car at a dealer to test drive. I did test drive a 2011 328i and found it to be quite acceptable (although that particular car was missing too many options for me).

I'm looking for a new daily driver. Willing to travel anywhere in the US for the right car; a well-maintained and relatively clean LCI 328i or N55-powered 335i. I hadn't originally considered the 335i, thinking it out of budget, but in my searching it seems to be more often highly optioned than the 328i. So I'm open to that as well (and who doesn't love turbo power...).

BMW option soup is quite a bit more complex than what I'm used to with owning Japanese cars for 20 years. Here's essentially what I'm looking for:

Must have:
- RWD
- Manual Transmission
- Sport Package
- Comfort Access
- Xenon headlights
- Paint that isn't white, black, or silver (something like Space Grey is okay)
- Not been driven in the snow belt in winter (or otherwise have rusty bolts)

Would strongly prefer:
- At least Tier2 factory audio (I've heard there are 3 tiers)
- iDrive/nav
- Heated front seats
- Fold-down rear seats

I would actually prefer a wagon, but have realized since researching BMWs that this is asking quite a lot. Too bad we didn't get more cars like this.

I can take or leave the M-Sport package, so either way is fine on that.

Last edited by BryanH; 04-30-2019 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
BryanH
Rep

I am picturing a collective of BMW faithful laughing at me from behind their screens.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
orteeze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB F80

Everyone wants the "perfect car". They're out there, just not for sale. Keep waiting and you'll find what you want.
2011 BSP 335is- FOR SALE
2018 YMB M3- Current
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
dwlachowicz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 M Sport;F15 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
Might as well put this out there and see what happens. 🙂 I've been cross-shopping against the '07-08 G35 Sport sedan but have yet to find a decent manual car at a dealer to test drive. I did test drive a 2011 328i and found it to be quite acceptable (although that particular car was missing too many options for me).

I'm looking for a new daily driver. Willing to travel anywhere in the US for the right car; a well-maintained and relatively clean LCI 328i or N55-powered 335i. I hadn't originally considered the 335i, thinking it out of budget, but in my searching it seems to be more often highly optioned than the 328i. So I'm open to that as well (and who doesn't love turbo power...).

BMW option soup is quite a bit more complex than what I'm used to with owning Japanese cars for 20 years. Here's essentially what I'm looking for:

Must have:
- RWD
- Manual Transmission
- Sport Package
- Comfort Access
- Xenon headlights
- Paint that isn't white, black, or silver (something like Space Grey is okay)
- Not been driven in the snow belt in winter (or otherwise have rusty bolts)

Would strongly prefer:
- At least Tier2 factory audio (I've heard there are 3 tiers)
- iDrive/nav
- Heated front seats
- Fold-down rear seats

I would actually prefer a wagon, but have realized since researching BMWs that this is asking quite a lot. Too bad we didn't get more cars like this.

I can take or leave the M-Sport package, so either way is fine on that.
Keep an eye out on Bring a Trailer, I have seen some that match this criteria pop up there. I'll keep an eye out locally, I know of 3 cars that match your wants including the M-Sport option on wagons. Also not sure what your budget is, but expect to pay a premium on wagons.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
TabulaRasa
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-Sport 6mt

Quote:
I am picturing a collective of BMW faithful laughing at me from behind their screens.
Just posted my own WTB here after lurking for a while. The struggle is real!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

As these cars get older the perfect one keeps getting harder and harder to find. Mine doesn't have comfort access or iDrive otherwise it would fit your criteria. I would also check the F30 forum. Good luck.
      03-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

There were a total of 429 RWD 6MT e91s built from 2007-2012. You're in unicorn territory when factoring in 6MT in a particular color combination with options, even in the e90 realm. Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
BryanH
Rep

Thanks for that info. I'm surprised by that low number given the well known 3-series quality of being a drivers' car. How many sedans were delivered as such (RWD / 6MT)? Surely at least a few thousand...

Off the top of my head I've owned a 1 of 13 car and a 1 of 33 car before, so maybe I'll get lucky again...

Or maybe I'll have to start relaxing some of my criteria.

Perhaps I could get an interim car before too long and keep my eyes peeled for the ideal one, but maybe that interim car wouldn't be an E90. Based on my research I have some preventative maintenance things in mind that aren't cheap and that I wouldn't want to do twice.

Very early on in my BMW learnings I discovered how rare and coveted the manual wagons are, so I've already 'settled' on a sedan in my mind. A wagon isn't worth a ton more than a sedan to me. Maybe a modest amount more.

I looked at the 1-series but for DD purposes I think I'd really like the extra practicality of the 3.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
BryanH
Rep

I am beginning to think that for 2009-2011 E90s, the manual transmission and iDrive are mutually exclusive options. Is this a fact? I have yet to find one equipped as such.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #10
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

The combination exists but it is somewhat uncommon.

The presence of i-drive prevented me from going after this one in 2017 -
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-3/
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #11
BryanH
Rep

Thanks for pointing me to the existence of one. I'd be perfectly happy with the sedan version of that at significant savings. I do like the 2nd-gen iDrive myself - I think it has aged OK and it's style of doing things is more accepted nowadays than it was when new. In this day and age it seems odd not to have a screen to display artist/track, a map, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
BryanH
Rep

I believe I have found my car, settling for a few less options than I had originally hoped but I'm sure the car will be great. I've edited the thread title. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
.RJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersteuer View Post

The presence of i-drive prevented me from going after this one in 2017 -
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-3/
When I bought mine, I hovered over the bid button for a long time on that car. What turned me off was that it was a former EAG car, so I presume perfect when that owner bought it, now looked like it was handled by a gorilla with claws. Every surface was scratched or dinged on that car and it wouldnt be trivial to make it all look good again.

Even though mine is for sale, I still have a desire to own a RWD E91 with an N55 swapped in.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #14
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
I believe I have found my car, settling for a few less options than I had originally hoped but I'm sure the car will be great. I've edited the thread title. Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Good luck! It took me the better part of 6-9 months to find my wagon, but I am glad I was patient. Also glad I didn't settle for an xdrive and waited for a RWD. I looked nationally but ended up finding mine in the bay area... I settled on a few options but that was OK because they are all things that would eventually be changed like suspension and wheels... Plus I bought it with the intention of not selling it... it will most likely get an N54 swap down the line.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
BryanH
Rep

Nice! I was just down in SB for an afternoon (passing through) a few weeks ago and I saw bunches of wagons down there (BMW and otherwise). Seems to be a hot spot for that type of vehicle.

Is it me or were the majority of wagons pre-LCI? I see more of them for sale.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Nice! I was just down in SB for an afternoon (passing through) a few weeks ago and I saw bunches of wagons down there (BMW and otherwise). Seems to be a hot spot for that type of vehicle.

Is it me or were the majority of wagons pre-LCI? I see more of them for sale.
SB has a lots of BMW/MB "enthusiasts" vs typical owners. So there are a few nice fast wagons and lots of nice euro cars in general. Its a car town in general (hot-rods and drag racing were born in Goleta), lots of money so lots of nice cars.

I don't know the exact numbers produced (Pre vs LCI) but I would imagine it is that not as many LCI vehicles are being let go by their original or 2nd owners. Most are in the 40k-70K mile range and still reliable, tight, and enjoyable. Pre-LCI vehicles tend to be in the more 80K+ and first owners start to get a bit more scared off by the service required around 80-120K and will sell them if not the DIY type. But at the end of the day there are only a few thousand of these vehicles, auto or MT, in the US and that make pickings slim. Pre-LCI are going to be the bulk of what is available just due to age.
Appreciate 0