E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 14 Check Engine Codes, Where do I start?

05-25-2024, 09:42 PM   #1
shiloperformace
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Hey guys, I just wanted to first state that this is my first BMW and I’ve got alot to learn. I bought this 328xi off Facebook marketplace for $600. Running and driving.

She has 14 check engine codes and I’m not sure where to start. Let me first catch you up to speed on what I’ve done so far.

Replaced
-Spark plugs and coils (plugs were very bad, nodes were rounded, lots of carbon)
-Replaced valve cover gasket and RTV’d some spots that seemed most likely to leak.
-Replaced MAF made no difference.

Compression Test
Cyc 1 - 215psi
Cyc 2 - 180psi
Cyc 3 - 230psi
Cyc 4 - 230psi
Cyc 5 - 235psi
Cyc 6 - 190psi

I understand these number are high, I’m open to opinions, however I believe there was two quarts of oil extra in the system when the compression test was done, this may have effected some numbers, I was just making sure I didn’t have a bad cycler with like 50 psi.

Smoke Test
Evap leaks were though these places
PCV valve from valve cover, (peice broken
PCV hose
VTT missing bolt to valve cover
Oil cap

Oil change with Pennzoil 5-30 high mileage platinum, exact amount 6.7 quarts

All of this worked fixed,
-Physical misfire symptoms even though, it’s still say I have a misfire on Cyc 5
-Increased throttle response from stop
-Leaking oil from valve cover

Here’s the problems I’m still having,
-Smoke coming from tailpipe occasionally, white smoke, I can’t tell the smell (I’m assuming this is a timing problem or valve problem)
-Change in rpm’s when pressing on brake
-Loud medium tempo tick (Unsure if it’s lifters)
-Low earthy rumble (Almost sounds like misfire, but it’s a lot different from when I disconnected a ignition coil)

I do believe a lot of these problems are cause and effect, like for example. I believe that ‘Bank 1 and Bank 2’ being lean. Meaning low fuel or too much air. This could be causing that misfire. Either cycler 5 injector is bad or it’s something to do with all of the throttle codes I have, causing too much air flow.

I left an attached image to all the check engine codes and linked a YouTube short with the cars audio.

I plan on replacing both Vanos solenoids, the VTT and voltage testing the gas pedal wire connection.

Thank you guys for any support or input.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gqdJik727...Dn5uiev3Hm7uqJ
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:25 AM   #2
shiloperformace
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Well wanted to follow up, even though no one replied. I understand that this was a lot of information.

However, a lot of the codes were cleared up. I should have clear the codes with the car off and with the key in the run position.

I double checked all the ignition coil connections and did another compression test on cyc 5 came back as 210psi

Car is getting better the more I drive it. And me learning how she handles as well. I managed to get down to 7 codes and now I have 3 left.

Going to do a full coolant flush and actually replace the MAF and wheel speed sensor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0